No announcement yet.

First gig live with TD30KV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get urself a good quality active 15" speaker and an active 12". Face the left one diaginally right, and the right one diaginally left. U ll sound awesome. On my 15 i set the bass on the speakers eq low, around 9 o clock and turn the treble to 3 o clock. Eq on the module : bass at - 2.... treble + 5. I use a TD6V.

Comment

I use one Wharfedale Active 15. Depending on the venue i adjust the eq differently. Normally, its: bass at about 9 o clock and treble at about 12 o clock. On the Module bass at 0 and treble at +4.
      Two of those speakers would do for ANY gig, no matter how big - u would have a HUGE sound. Lay them on the sides angled up like a normal monitor one on the left and one on the right.

Comment

Originally posted by Chancho View Post
        Had my first live experience with the TD30 KV. First set the band members and myself were trying to get use to the new sound/mix. Sound improved as the night went on. Using factory pre-sets. Of course, the sound from headphones is completely different than the one coming from the monitor (Roland 550) which is a bit disappointing. Had to take most of the bass out and pump up the treble. Then the toms were not as booming and had a lot more sound definition. What also helped was positioning the Amp off the ground (on a crate). Any other suggestions??? Overall, very very happy
        If you use a higher quality PA speaker,the drums will not sound as different from headphones to PA. After buying a selling at least 8 different PA speakers, I have settled on a Yamaha DXR 15. It has high quality sound and a lot of low end. My vdrum edits on headphones sounded perfect on it.

Comment

the kc 500 - 550 is a great amp for smaller venues. with bbe it really shines! without it it sounds flat. in a church that seats 500 the sound guy is always saying to turn my amp down so that he cant route more of the sound through the pa. however, the kc 550 has a sub out, which with an added good powered sub it will bring the house down.
          pa vs headphones? i found that i needed to dampen the toms more and roll the low frequencies down a bit.
          i saved the settings for headphones on a mem stick and saved the settings when i played out so that i could load the settings wherever i played without having to redial it in each time
          Pearl Mimic pro, A to E 7 piece Pearl Decade maple, ddrum Deccabons, Ddrum DDTi, UFO X-bar triggers, Real feel heads, Gibraltar rack, VH13, PD105 side snare, Roc-N-Soc,Tama Iron Cobra, Iron cobra high hat stand, Cobra clutch, Pearl throne thumper, Roland and Kit Toys cymbals, Roland KC 500, Promark

Comment

I love the TD30kv after upgrading from a TD25kv. Superb presence and the kit looks great on stage.
            The kit needs a set of good cases, especially for the folding MDS-25 rack, which is quite heavy.
            I was thinking of having one made out of black padded canvas with a wheeled base.

For the Drums, Cymbals and Head... Gator make a nice multi-compartment padded case which works well.

Amplification is key. I use a very hefty setup. 2-JBL615's on poles, 2-Rockville RBG15 subwoofers. I also use a small Behringer mixer which provides a nice post EQ and preamp. I use a channel each for the L/R out on the TD30. The L and R mains go to the 2 Rockvilles and each has an XLR Thru to the JBL's . You have to move some air, and this setup performs extraordinarily well for medium to large venues. Start with a flat EQ on the TD30 and boost the High's on the mixer. You should not need to adjust for the bass, as the subwoofers are already putting out great bottom.
            Last edited by charlyv; 08-25-16, 05:21 PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

If your sticking with the Roland try it with a sub , let that handle your kick and other lows and tweak the Roland to suit , you will get a better mix,👌

Comment

I understand the problem may have been solved but if it has not. One thing when starting with E-drums that I used with success for live playing is using a keyboard amp. The one I had at the time was a Peavey KB-100 and that did the trick for stage volume. Maybe even doubling up and getting two for stereo sound or just mono for more noise..
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Chancho View Post
                  Hi BWaj........thanks for your input, very much appreciated. I understand and agreed with all of your concepts however I don't think I explained myself correctly. A while ago I read a thread which I will reproduce here (not the whole thing as it's too long). I need to know if this is worth doing it, and what the results were. Here it is:

"I have been dangling a carrot for some time now saying I was writing a "TD-30 setup" guide and now I am finally putting it out there. While this setup may be specific to the TD-30, many, if not all, of these settings can be found on all the modules. So this can be beneficial for anyone.

This is a basic set-up process I have been coming up with over the last couple months to properly set up your TD-30 module. This set up can work for any pre-set kits as well as creating your own kits. Since the manual leaves a lot to be desired, not only in explaining what each step does, but more importantly what steps should be done first so you aren’t making adjustments aimlessly hoping you get the right sound and dynamics you are looking for. So here are the first steps you should do right from the get go, the second you first turn this module on. Okay, fine, play a few kits and have some fun, but when you are done playing around, put the sticks down and grab your manual because we are going to really dig in to this module. Let’s get started.

Step 1: Group Faders
                  Slide the group faders up and down and set all the faders to “0”. Yeah, put them all at the zero line. Don’t forget to hit the button under the “fader” label (red light should light up) and adjust the sliders up and down and set them to “0”. Dont jam them all to the top. If you do, you won’t have anywhere to go if you need to make adjustments on the fly. This is especially important for people who play live and the venue may have acoustics that enhance some instruments more than others. A simple fader adjustment either up or down will quickly fix the problem.

Step 2: Mixer Adjustments
                  Click the “Mixer” button and lets go through this menu. Under the “Volume” tab set ALL the head & rim volumes to “80”. I believe default is 120, and that’s just not going to work. Each instrument is going to blend differently with every other instrument, for every kit. These mixer settings are KIT SPECIFIC. If you make an adjustment here, it will only affect the kit you are currently in and all other kits will be set up as their defaults. This is good and bad all at the same time. Good in that you aren't messing up any of your other kits by making adjustments here, and bad in that you have to fiddle with this for EVERY kit. But there is some relief that you don't have to manually adjust this for every kit. You can adjust the mixer settings in one kit and COPY these settings to all your other kits. Check out page 66 of the manual for simple instructions on how to do this.

and so on................
                  Can you provide credit/link or direction to the excerpt above? I'd like to read it all.
                  Thanks

Comment

I agree, can you provide the link to your complete guide?
                    thanks
                    Equipment: TD-30KV, DW9000 hardware, ROC-N-SOC Throne, Behringer ULTRATONE K3000FX Amp, JBL EON 615 Powered Speaker, Yamaha MG06X. 1965 Ludwig Super Classic. Black diamond pearl. Zildjian K Custom Dark cymbals, DW 7000 hardware, DW 9000 kick pedal.

Comment

Working...
                    X