Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schlecter Scale of Gig AWESOMENESS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schlecter Scale of Gig AWESOMENESS!

My band's lead vocal and guitar player's last name is Schlect. He made this tongue in cheek chart called the SCHLECTER SCALE OF GIG AWESOMENESS to make sure the rest of the band was all on the same page as far as what places we SHOULD be gigging and playing at vs the ones we should NOT be settling for. Visuals are everything and it reminds us of all the tiny dumpy places we have all played before and can always play if we wish. I love the whole "corporate sell out party" (look at those fools, they frickin sold out with goofy poses and outfits that are NOT rock! Well, they work well for the extreme corporate look but not what we want to do, YMMV) and the air guitar gig and the Good Guys bar in Lemon Grove (it looks like a classy joint with a tiny corner for the band, complete with back door, dart board, bullshat pictures and frames on the wall, drummer has a wife beater shirt and tiny kit, WHAT A JOKE!!!)

It's not that we don't like Céline Dion (she's hot) it's just our mantra is "NO B%TCHES IN THE BAND!" B&TCHES do not equate to hard rockin lol.

Not slamming on girls or anyone out there gigging in these places, ROCK ON!!!! Just being a little tongue in cheek. Just for our band, we wanted to make sure some members weren't out there booking gigs for us at places we prefer NOT to play. The reason we don't like below a 4 on the scale is a cost vs work ratio. In order for us to haul all our gear, a whole 5 piece band, with PA and lighting, to do a small gig for little pay is NOT what we want to do. Since we're only interested in gigging like once or twice a month, we're willing to work harder at getting bigger and better gigs. That's just us, your band can do what it likes or needs. We just can't fit all 5 of us on stage with all our gear AND haul everything for like $20. It's not even worth the gas money and we don't feel the urge to get out and play THAT much that we're willing to bust our humps. If we were all 22 yrs old, we prolly would. Since everyone in the band is near 50, we've become a little more selective (check that, picky and lazy) about when and where we play. Of course we're not opposed to playing a few times a month, but those gigs are harder to get.

K ;-)

Page1.jpg

Page2.jpg

Page3.jpg

Page4.jpg

Page5.jpg

My bands: Alter Ego, Arcanum
    E Kit = Roland TDW-20s kit // Roland SPD-S// Pearl Demon Drives//
    A Kit = Tama Swingstar 5 pc (1981) w/roto toms (orig owner!) //Zildjians
    A Kit = Natal 6 pc with Paiste 2000 & Zildjian/MidiKNights/DrumSplitters

Continued....

Page6.jpg

Page7.jpg

Page8.jpg

Page9.jpg

Page10.jpg

Comment

Last ones....

Page11.jpg

Page12.jpg

Page13.jpg

Page14.jpg

Comment

I played through the 60s, 70s and 80s. Back then you could virtually pick and choose your gigs 2, 3 times a week. This was in West London and though the majority of gigs were pubs, there was the occasional excursion to a night club, blues club, corporate gig, college or uni. Yea we had our share of bad ones. The East end of London was notorious. A good night was measured by the amount of broken furniture. Oh and I remember very well a gig we did down the south coast (late 60s) we were playing in this club down in the cellar when about 50 rockers turned up followed by a BBC film crew. Needless to say a fight broke out. We got out but there was some serious equipment damage. A couple of the girls went round with a hat to get us some money but we never got anything from our agent. Oh yea, this was a good one, we played this massive pub in North London. The gig went well but 30 mins after we left a fire bomb went off under the stage. A local row we were told. Mind you, back then, several venue pubs went up in flames. Makes you think.

Comment

haha. love this thread. I lived in San Diego for 12 years and played many of these places. I agree with the Tiki Bar being rated a 2. But it is still to this day not only the smallest bar I've ever played, but it was one of the most fun(if not THE most fun) bar I've ever played. Brick by Brick you have rated 5 and that was a tough room to get people to go to. Unless we were openeing for like Helmet, or Rollins Band. then it was fun. We never made much money in any of these places. Back then it was all for fun. I live on the East Coast now and we're playing clubs like you have rated in the 4s and 5's. Much better pay. But you gotta work to bring the crowd.

Ken, have you ever heard of a band in SD called Super Unloader? They may not exist anymore. Chad Farron played drums and he was(probably still is) incredible on the kit.
          Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
          Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

@Matt...kudos on ya man!!! I know some of the smaller bars are WAY fun, but our band is too big and the fellas refuse to scale down so what can I do? Brick by Brick has had a slight remodel and the stage is phenomenal. I agree tho, you gotta WORK to bring in fans!!

Never heard of Super Unloader but I'm not the best for knowing a lot of local bands en masse unless I followed them or saw them or my small social circle did. I'm sure you've played your share of the Nuts to Butts type gigs too!!!

Where are you on East Coast? I'm from Boston area, have family in Delaware (Bethany Beach) and MD.

K ;-)
            Last edited by Kenster; 03-24-17, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Ken, Im from Wrentham. About 30 miles south of Boston and 20 miles north of Providence. I grew up here, moved to Cali in mid 90's. Moved back east when we started having kids. Easier being near family. I do miss San Diego lol. We just got 30 inches of snow.
              Noble & Cooley acoustics. Paiste cymbals.
              Mimic Pro, SPD SX, SPD30, SD3

Comment

30 inches!!!! I can say I am a survivor of the blizzard of 78, we got over 36 inches and missed 3 weeks of school!! It took a week before the snow plows even got to our street. I was out in Millis when it happened. I do miss the snow around the holidays!!! Hope you're stocked up on food and heat! Hey, at least if you're snowed in, that gives you LOTS of time for drumming!!!!

K ;-)

Comment

Huh, we had about 1/4 " a couple of days ago and it was gone by 10am cause it started raining.

Comment

More coming in New Jersey tonite!

Comment

Yeah! More snow days...stay home and play drums!!!!
                      K

Comment

Your OK till the power goes off. Then its back to the acoustic kit.

Comment

John b...it's called a UPS baby!!!! Just plug in your module with headphones and keep rocking lol!! Or get a generator.

K ;-)

Comment

I had one of those on the computer. We had a power cut and it cut out 2 hours later. Huh best £200 I ever spent ( I do'nt think.)

Comment

Anyone else using this scale for their gig choices yet?

K

Comment

Working...
                              X