Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDIO-CAPTURE USB 2.0 Audio Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDIO-CAPTURE USB 2.0 Audio Interface

I tried posting this in the Products section but was having issues posting it. Maybe it belongs in here. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on how this will work with a Roland TD-30? I'm guessing I can use the direct outs from the TD-30 and connect them into the inputs of the Studio capture but was wondering if I can individually mess with each toms, snare, cymbals, and kick within the D.A.W. (REAPER)? I haven't seen anything as far as connecting v drums to this about this. Anyone have any knowledge on this item?

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product...studio-capture
    Roland TD-30KV, Alesis Strike Pro Kit, Tama HW, QSC K10x2, Logic Pro, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Interface

We had a thread about it not long ago, around two months or so:

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/forum/ge...studio-capture

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/core/cus...ar33631_4.jpeg

Comment

Hmm, I searched it but nothing came up. Thanks for the link. I finally spoke with Nathen who has one of these and got the info I was looking for. Seems like another big purchase is soon to happen.
      Roland TD-30KV, Alesis Strike Pro Kit, Tama HW, QSC K10x2, Logic Pro, Toontrack Superior Drummer 3, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre Thunderbolt Interface

Comment

I'm sure you figured by now that you can do all that you mentioned.

But, when getting up to this point, wouldn't a VST provide even better options and control?
        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
          But, when getting up to this point, wouldn't a VST provide even better options and control?

Correct! Rushfan, you will need a proper audio-interface! ...No matter, whether you are dabbling with VSTs or simply recording direct-outs - the choice is yours!

Seeing as the 'UA-1610 (Studio Capture)' is somwhere over $1000 (Yikes!), have you considered...

a) ...other brands?
          b) ...used USB-interfaces?

HTH

"My best friends' name is J-SON. They used to call him 'Mr. Parse.' He has an 'Error'..!"

Comment

perceval that's another reason why I need an audio interface. I got SSD4 Platinum for Xmas along with some new pedals. Anyways I figured I needed it for that plus the freedom to adjust individual instruments when recording. hairmetal, Ive looked around but wasn't finding anything with the inputs/outputs Roland had on this with the additional V streaming feature and the auto level detection this has. You have some recommendations? So you know what I have to work with.. I have a mid 2010 Macbook pro with 8Gbs of Ram, SSD4-when I want to dabble with VSTs and 2 x TD 30s that I would need inputs for. So I'm at about exactly 15 inputs right now that I would like to connect to this. Ive already figured out how to make each tom, cymbal, kick and snare an individual channel within the DAW (Reaper) using the USB connection from the TD-30. So really this is strictly for the direct outs using the TD 30 sounds.

Comment

So you are at about 16 inputs, all line-level (8 direct-outs x 2 modules), all via USB 2.0 - not many suggestions on my part, just ONE, ...but a good one:

Used RME Fireface UC plus an ADAT extension!

How does that sound?
              Eight Line-inputs via ADAT, plus eight additional line-inputs from the RME itself, (...plus two inputs via SP-DIF, if you needed this) - a total of 16 to 18 channels *simultaneously*

Here's a picture:

HTH

Comment

Cool, so basically to me the Roland capture seems a little more easier to at with but pricier. I've been seriously dragging my feet on this buy. I almost bought it yesterday but want to do some more research.

Comment

Actually it seems that the Roland is cheaper.

Comment

Oh I'm pretty sure the Roland will be cheaper (whether this is 'in-the-long-run remains to be seen).

But ultimately, some are paying for two outstandingly good microphone-preamps (the RME devotees), others pay for twelve rather mediocre preamps (...Roland devotees, tongue-in-cheek of course!) Know what I'm saying?

Comment

Lol, I see. So now for me comes the debating. Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Focusrite would have the combination 18i20 with the octopre connected via ADAT. Might be a little cheaper than Roland but I've heard good things about Focusrite lately. Just stay away from the Presonus 1818vsl.
                        DTX700, eDRUMin 4+10, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
                        Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

I have the Roland unit, one of the cheapest options with that many analog inputs. As an example, the RME suggested above retails for $200-300 more than the roland in australia has half the analog inputs, then you got to add an ADAT expansion...

I've found the Roland very easy to use and the auto input gain option is very handy to initially set levels for all band members at the same time. Also has plenty of outputs - up to 4 separate (stereo) monitor mixes, so i've paired mine with a headphone amp so each of my band mates have their own personal mix

I have no complaints nor do my band mates. Plenty of people have different opinions on interfaces, and I'll admit there are better interfaces out there (that leave massive holes in your wallet but bang for buck, I found it hard to beat. If, in the future, my band wants to record on serious equipment, we'd just go and hire a studio with top of the line interfaces / preamps etc etc
                          Last edited by campster; 01-06-14, 04:01 AM.

Roland TD-30KV, Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal, Pearl H1000 hit hat stand, Shure SE530 IEMs, AKG K171 MKII Headphones, Mackie DLM PA, Yamaha MG102C mixer, Roland Studio Capture

Natal Walnut kit (US Fusion X), Bosphorus Antique 16" Crash & 22" Ride, Bosphorus Gold Series 14" hats.

Comment

...or you just start off recording on serious equipment by getting serious equipment!
                            No need to hire a whole studio, then!

...Oh, what truly beautiful invention a DAW is...

Comment

Working...
                            X