Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recorded sound is quite different...WHY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recorded sound is quite different...WHY?

OK. Here is my issue.

I run Cubase SX, recording my usual instruments including sounds from my TD-10 with my Presonus FireStation. I usually monitor the sounds via MIDI until all other instruments are recorded. At the final stage I record the audio coming from the TD-10. I monitor the sounds through 2 channels (inputs 1,2 of my interface, which goes through my dbx compressor).

Here is my issue. The monitored sound (especially the kick and snare) sounds really punchy and great. However, once recorded into audio, it starts to sound really transparent and weak.

QUESTION: WHY DOES IT SOUND DIFFERENT?

It's probably some kind of AD/DA conversion / bit depth issue, but I was wondering if someone could bring some clarity to this issue.

Remember when for the first time in your life you heard a recording of your own voice? Didn't sound quite the same, I imagine. That's cause you are used to hearing it mostly through your bones. I'm guessing it's kind of the same thing with drums.

While you are pounding on your set, the sound of your sticks hitting the pads plus the vibrations that your body is absorbing make you think that your sound has far more attack than it actually does. Especially if you use rubber pads or a KD-80 for kick.

Your brain wants to think that what you hear is entirely only coming out of the speakers. Naturally, it doesn't realize that what you hear is a combination of sounds from the speakers as well as the pad noise and vibrations that reach your ears through your bones.

Then, you play back your brilliant recording and it loses all its life, cause you lose the pad noise/vibrations.
    I sold all my V-drums!!! I can bet you this is only temporary, though.

Comment

You'd almost be better off boosting and recording the stereo headphone out

Are people doing this regularly? It sounds like a good idea, and you'd only have to buy one stereo 1/4 to 1/8 to jack into most PCs, instead of having to buy adapters/cables to go from 2 mono 1/4s to a single 1/8.

Plus, if the sound is better....

Comment

thanks for the comments

I thought about running them through my master outs via my outboard compressor, but then you run into the problem of separation. Yea, it's quite easy to just run the MIDI file to re-record if you want to make any changes down the road, but I figured it would be easier if I had a separate track for everything.

So, I ended up running each instrument in pairs through my compressor. Since I ride the crash quite a bit, I sidechained the kick into the comp while recording the cymbals...it produced a nice effect.

As far as the sound quality goes, I just had to tweak it alot in Cubase...Eq / Reverb etc. It's not exactly the same, but it's acceptable.

anyways, thanks for the comments

Comment

Really off topic, but...

I am finally getting to the point where I want an 8 to 10 channel input for my computer. I am running XP (sorry!) and have plenty of memory and processing power. This is a dedicated recording machine so I can run PCI interfaces or firewire or USB...

What is the best choice for a "direct in" considering I have almost nothing in the way of processing gear at this point. I am running Sonar 2.2 with a Soundblaster live for channels 1&2 and an Avance 97 for channels 3&4 right now. I would like to run all 8 outs in at once.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
          Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

Uhh...

Thanks Chris, I know that the Blaster is not up to par, so that's what I am asking here... I want to UPGRADE to an 8 channel interface and I was asking which was the best for the dollars...

The Aardvark looks like a great one, what's the latency like on it?

I haven't seen the RME before... Is there a site with info on it?

I am trying to keep the interface under the $750 mark, but could go over if needed.

Thanks!

Side note... What are you using to monitor on the Aardvark, or what would you pick up just for basic monitoring. I have a decent set of Altec Lansings right now that do a moderate job, but I am always looking for advice.

Thanks again!
            Mapex Acoustic Birch 6pc Kit - Sabian Cymbals - PC Recorder/MIDI: Sonar 2.2 - M Audio Audiophile 24/96 / Avance AC97 - Samson 65A Monitors - Building a V-drum revolution kit: 3 - 10" Toms, 14" Snare, 2 - 16" Crashes, 12" Hats, 10" Mesh Kick - MODULE TO BE DETERMINED...

Comment

If all you're looking for is 8 analog ins, you might want to keep an eye on eBay for a motu 1224 with pci card, or even a motu 2408 if you can find a good deal. I've seen them both going fairly cheaply lately, and they'd be perfect for what you want to do.

We were recording 10 tracks on a motu 2408 on a pii-450 for a while, using Sonar, with no problems. It worked out pretty well.

Comment

Re: Uhh...

Originally posted by zcarman
                I am trying to keep the interface under the $750 mark, but could go over if needed.
                See if the Echo Layla24 is good for you. I run it with Sonar 2 and Win2000 (WDM drivers) and I am happy with the results when recording 8 independant tracks simultaneously. I picked up mine new for $599 online (with free shipping).

Regarding the Sound Blaster, I actually leave mine in the machine, but I created 2 hardware profiles in Windows 2000 to have either the Layla or the SB enabled (I'm sure you can do the same in XP)

When I mix, I mainly use the Layla outputs through a mixer/power amp and Alesis near field monitors. After that, I'll check out the mix on headphones as well as rebooting into the SB hardware profile and listening through Altec Lansings.

Joe

| Argos | Your Cloud | Lost In Germany | Life Wasted | Identity Crisis
                | The Xerophyte | Red Barchetta | Subdivisions or Drums Only |

Superior Drummer w/ Metal Foundry, dfhS samples and Platinum Samples Evil Drums.

Comment

Thanks a Ton!!!

Great info... Anyone had any experience with the Roland 3100 and RPC1 card? They have the mixer going at $399 and the card at $239 for an 8 channel pack???

Always shopping for the deal you know...

Comment

Sober: try running into the computer directly instead of through the compressor and see if the sound quality changes. Then you'll know if it's your converters (or your gain staging), or the compressor that's the problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X