Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issues with recording levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with recording levels

I did a search on this topic, but it seems nobody is having my issues.

I'm trying to record my Vdrums (pro kit - td10), separating each channel into individual tracks. The signals for the snare and kick registers hot, but the other tracks (toms, cymbals, hh via line outs) aren't registering too well.

I'm using a Presonus Firestation for my audio interface and there are only 2 mic pre (s). I run the snare and kick through the mic pres, hence the hot signals. The other instruments running out of the line outs are going into the plain line ins of the audio interface.

I've turned up all the volumes on everything, but I can't seem to get a hot signal. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!!

What software are you running into? You shouldn't need much pre-amping for that. Are you outputs in the td-10's mixer (internal, not front panel) at the defaults or did they get lowered? At the default it should be plenty loud, but could be turned up there if need be.

Is there a control panel program with the interface? On my Terratec EWS88D ADAT I/O card, there's one. When you first install the control panel program, it defaults to -9dB on everything, so I had to just turn them up to 0dB and then save the settings. It could be something like that and not be anything more complex or involved, just a default setting for the device that needs changing..

Lemme know if this helps..
    -Eric
    Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Re: recording levels

Thanks for the reply Eric.

I'm running everything on Cubase SX. I have everything turned up on the TD-10 including levels of individual instruments as well as overall volume levels of the drums in general. Faders are also cranked to max.

I'll try the control panel and see what happens. I'm also looking at the manual for my interface and it has a A/D converter line level adjust where I can use a small Phillips screwdriver to adjust this level. It said that usually there is a 14db difference between the 0db reference levels in analog and digital equipment. Is this something I should try or should I just leave it?

In any event, I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!!

Comment

Sounds like that's the right thing to change.. too bad it has to be done physically though.. not as flexible if you want to plug something else in there quickly, but that will fix your problem. unless they have another spot in some kind of control panel thing for it (not the computer's Control Panel, just for the card, they usually call them that)..

lemme know, cya!
        -Eric
        Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Working...
        X