Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drummer wants to write songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drummer wants to write songs

I'm a drum hobbyist who finally has the time and money to get
    serious about music again after a long layoff due to college and
    my job. I'd like to put together a small pc-based home studio for
    recording my mom's lyrics. I play drums only. I don't play any melodic instrument, yet I have a lot of ideas for songs that I want to create. Is there any pc-based software tools I should be looking at to aid me? Or should I bite the bullet and learn to play piano or the guitar? I have alot of meodies in my head that I'd like to record, but I feel hindered because I don't play piano.
    Thanks for any advice out there.

There are free/share-ware packages out there with the ability to record you 'humming' the melody and convert that to MIDI data while, simultaneousely, plopping it onto sheet music. From there you modify and embellish your score as needed. It isn't easy, by any means, but doable.

I can't remember any package names off the top of my head, but you might try a google search for "voice to midi".
    My website...
    VCustom kit,
    TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
    HDI Cymbals.
    A great site: eDrumming.com

Comment

What...

That really sounds interesting... Well Chris... you just made me get another piece of software... Hmmm... this is starting to hurt me ;-)

/Mr Harley

PS. Thanx for the link Albator!
      Last edited by Mr Harley; 11-15-02, 07:04 AM.

Comment

ya but it hurts so good doesnt it?i purchased an xp-60 for just that reason.....and while i'm not the greatest "tickler of the ivorys"i must say even some of my mistakes on the keyboard leads to new tunes.a lot of people get wind/breath controllers for their keyboards to.it allows us drummers to lay down horn sections and such.and generally really fun stuff to play with.the autoscore program.............i've heard all good.for getting things outta your head,this is right up your alley.
        -i can levitate birds and no one cares-----------V-CONCERT,CY12H-CY15R/SPD-20-XP-60 V-STUDIO 1824CD,DAUZ PADS,NO RYTHYM AND MISC.CRAP 9"HART SPLASH/AKAI S5000/ASSLOAD OF SAMPLES

Comment

Comment

That LP is a beauty!

I wish I could afford the stuff you are selling.
            My website...
            VCustom kit,
            TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
            HDI Cymbals.

Comment

The guestimate was two weeks. That would be 3 days from now. However, GC was supposed to call me when their wearhouse received them - which would mark the 1/2 way point - but I haven't heard from them yet.

I was hoping to have them for a performance tomorrow, but I'll have to use the PD7s instead. Oh well.
              My website...
              VCustom kit,
              TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
              HDI Cymbals.

Comment

Rats. GC just called and said the cymbals will arrive "sometime between the 23rd and the 5th". Figuring he wasn't talking about some really odd jazz chord I suppose that means anywhere from 7 to 19 days. Worst case, that's almost 3 weeks!
                My website...
                VCustom kit,
                TD8 + Aphex Impulse,
                HDI Cymbals.

Comment

An old joke...

Q: What's the last sound a drummer makes?

A: "Hey, guys, let's try one of MY songs now!"

- Hans

Comment

Working...
                  X