Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital Mixers and contollers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital Mixers and contollers

Ok, I just want to make this quick.

Lets say I want to control ProTools with an outboard digital mixer, such as the Mackie control. First problem there, mackie refuses to do anything with digidesign and protools. Damn.

Next thing, it requires a MIDI input to relay all of the mix information to the software. How can I do that when I already have my synth plugged into there? What if I want to use both at the same time? Would I need a second MIDI input? Could I obtain one through a usb midi interface?

I'm looking for some sort of controller for under $1000. Can anyone suggest or does anyone have some experience here? Thanks a lot guys.

- Andy
    Last edited by Algee; 09-20-02, 02:51 PM.
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Hi Algee,
    To do anything with Protools for under $1000 is almost impossible

All the solutions I know cost more than you'r budget but I'll list them anyhow. Maybe you can find something that fit your needs and wallet.

Mackie also does another control surface called HUI speccially for Protools, check it out at www.mackie.com
    Digidesign will soon release the Digi002 which is a control surface/digital mixer with pre-amp, phantom power, and 8 motorixed channels. It uses firewire to connect to the computer and it'll support both MAC and WinXP. But it's listed for $2500

You can have, sometimes you must!, more than one Midi port in your PC. Most midi interfaces comes with at least two ports providing up to 32 midi channels. You can also find midi interfaces with up to 8 or more ports, some including midi filtering, routing, etc. Check www.midiman.com , www.motu.com, www.opcode.com

For a while I used Motu's MidiFlyer, a two port parallel midi interface, together with Guillemot's sound card that has its own midi port. No problem at all, I had three midi ports to choose from.
    When you have more than one port or even more than one interface you'll see all of them in your favourite software. E.G. in Logic, Cubase, etc. you can select different interface, port and channel for each midi track.

Last but not least, as with any midi capable software you can adapt any midi device as a controller. What I mean, in theory you can use a digital mixer to control your Protool if you know which midi message and CC, etc. Protools uses.

I hope I made sense,
    Pierre.

Comment

Sorry for such the long delay, I found the email notification in another folder for some reason. I apprecieate your help. I've gotten much more farmiliar with protools and controllers now that its all been explained. Thanks bud.

Comment

I want a Hummer!!

The new Mackie BABY HUI will work with Slow Tools also.. The list is like $700 I believe.. It's only $150 less than the Mackie studio control thing though, which has a lot more stuff, including Lexan overlays for all the major DAW's out there.. I dunno if that one works with Digi stuff though..

And Algee, just so you know, it's usually the case that Digidesign won't ALLOW companies to make stuff to work with their stuff.. They want to be in total control of everything (can you say monopoly?) related to their gear.. That's why most of the stuff out there works with everything except Pro Tools, and why when you get into Digi's higher-end/higher-priced stuff, you can't use other companies' I/O units, like MOTU, Apogee, Delta, Event, Frontier Design, etc..

I'm in my 8th month at school now, and I have to laugh every time I hear about Pro Tools and its limitations.. Like LE only does 24 tracks or 32, depending on your operating system and version.. If you did 8 drum tracks, 2 stereo rhythms, 1 stereo lead, bass direct and mic'd, 4 stereo keyboards, that's 20 tracks already, before you add your backing vocals, lead vocals, maybe horns, etc.. It's REALLY limited.. I routinely do projects with 50 or more tracks of audio and maybe 20 midi tracks, then some virtual instruments, no slowdowns, 35-40% CPU usage, no problems..

I think Chris and I are still gonna advise you to get out of the ProTools quicksand pit while you still can, before you invest too much more money..

As far as your midi i/o goes, 1 in/1 out should be fine for you for now. You're not doing much with midi, and as long as you're using separate channels, there's no problems. There's a limited amount of bandwidth, but with a control surface that has 8 channels and some buttons (it uses banks to control more than 8, but only visually shows you 8 at once), you shouldn't have any problems..

Any pics of the studio yet?
        -Eric
        Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

You guys just won't get off it!! Slow Tools?! Now that's not very nice. Let me just state my point on that and leave it as it is. I've used many other programs that feature the same design as Pro Tools. They're great. Except for the fact that all of the processing happens in the CPU, rather than in the interfaces as with Digidesign. (The bigger systems, that is...) This allows for more overall performance that is the industry standard. It's reliable and gets my job done wonderfully. It really is comfortable for me.
          I look at it like a mercedes, or a BMW, or a lexus. For example, while the Nissan Maxima is very similar to some of the high-end Lexus', they cost only half as much. The difference? Well, it's under the aluminum.

Now that's just one way I look at it. But it's done now. I'm going with Protools. Final. I'm going for the ProTools/24 MIX system. This features 64 tracks -- at least. It does the job just fine for me, and it's decided. There's no turning back now. Alright? Moving on.

I'd love a place to upload full demos. Any suggestions?

Comment

Wow, big bucks there.

Yeah I know the processing thing is useful, but if you use good efficient plugins (read Waves 3.5), it shouldn't be a problem.. Rule that out and it's just extra cash.. but I'll leave you alone about that..

Upload full demos? of?
            Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Some things I've done, as well as show off my two-years playing skills. Eh?!

Comment

You could make an account on GeoCities or Angelfire or one of those things. Or if you have a high speed connection, you could run an ftp or web server on your home computer. Just get a host name from something like www.dyndns.org there's no charge for it..

Comment

Sweet!...what is it?

Alright. Awesome. So I took your advice and got an account with dyndns.org . Now, I don't know anything about ftp's or servers. Those words dont really mean anything to me. What are they? I mean, basially this allows me to let people look into specific folders on my hard drive and download, right? Now, I have a T1 connection, so I'm good to go, right? I just don't know how to use my account with them do do anything. Where do I start? I looked around and tried to figure it out but im lost. Help!

Comment

Your internet connection has nothing to do with how fast other people can download your tracks, but you already knew that
                    An FTP server will let you store your files on line for others to download rather then hitting your hard drive and personally I would not want to run a web server on my personal computer.

The odd thing is that a 15-year-old (today) does not know what are FTP or servers, but wants to get Pro Tools......no pun intended.
                    Last edited by szvook; 11-29-02, 04:24 AM.
                    Studio

Comment

Well, good point. But then again, there is a very wide line between a 15 year old knowing what an FTP is and a 15 year old (that is, this 15 year old) wanting to run Pro Tools. I'm not like the others who are worried about their girlfriends and what to buy them and the others who are just nerds wanting to run their own companies. Oh no, my friends. I am quite different. You could ask anyone who knows me, and they'll say that I'm not like most of those kids. I mean, well. I really have no idea where I'm going with this. So it's a little irrelavent. nevermind.

anyway, just to throw this out there. myself, as a 15 year old, has gotten places. just recently i signed a contract with ESPN to do the background music for sportcenter's next season. i also signed on to do the audio for a video game being released for lightspire studios. i've also signed on as the producer of aghost writer of the head composer for Disney. and the latest project is an outdoor and natural sampling project for a creator of a sound library for sonic foundry. so do you still think im like most of those 'other 15 year olds?' i mean, im just throwing that out there.

but as far as just using an ftp to transfer files to people or somthing? im lost!

Comment

Originally posted by Algee
                        but as far as just using an ftp to transfer files to people or somthing? im lost!
                        The info is available in vast amounts and at your fingertips. And with your T1 speed, it should be a breeze.
                        Studio

Comment

Hi guys,

I think that running a web server or ftp from my computer is OK provided a few things:

- get yourself a descent firewall and stay up to date with service packs for windows (or updates from Linux). I run both Linux and win2K for my servers, but for the novice, I'd suggest win2K with all service packs installed. - For home I like those hardware gateway routers / firewalls like the linksys one etc...

- Also, install the web/ftp server in ANOTHER computer that the one you inttend to use for work. Since your web site or FTP will not be solicited like a comercial web site, a $400-$500 computer from Dell / Gateway / eMachine or home made should be just fine.

that being said, you can download a free ftp software like Kunami FTP from www.download.com etc... If you are under linux, this is already included in most distributions like red hat etc ...

best,
                          JC
                          V-Session / Pearl A set / Sabian

Comment

So many things to respond to here..

Okay, as far as Hummers go, I like the H1 more cause it's just so damned garish that it's appealing to me. Check out the vidoes on hummer.com of them driving into a hole roughly the dimensions of the vehicle, it's just cool.. And as far as the other kind, why not want one of those either?

Regarding FTP servers and stuff, MacOS X may have an FTP or Web server built in, I don't know. There should be tons of free server programs available online to download though. A Web server would be easier to work with I suppose. I'm gonna be like everyone else and make you find a defination for ftp on your own though.

How are you getting all of these jobs simultaneously? Why is Sonic Foundry contracting someone new to digital audio for a sound library? What kind of stereo or x/y paired condensers are you using and what kind of DAT for remote field recording? Call me old fashioned, but I think you're out of your league on some of this stuff at the moment.

And don't knock having a girlfriend, it has its perks.

Comment

Working...
                            X