Recording E-Drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording E-Drums

Hi All. I am new to the site. I have been recording music on a computer using Sony Acid Pro for a couple of years. I generally record guitars and keyboards. I just bought a set of Roland TD9 drums & love them. I want to now record on Acid Pro. I record into a pre-amp (not sure what model). I was told to record using stereo audio cables, but when I tried this it did not work. I am able to record with only one cable in mono. My question is, for recording drums, is there any big difference in sound quality between recording in mono or stereo? I usually record my guitar in mono and it seems fine.

I appreciate any input on this! Thanks

There will be a variety of opinions in here.

Are you simply recording the drums via some kind of master out where all the mixing is done on the module? In which case, I would hate mono. Yes, drum panning too wide isn't a good thing but having everything plopped in there in one channel isn't something that's pleasing to my years.

What we do is record each component of the drum seperately, in mono, then mix accordingly.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
    TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks Grog. I am recording into Acid Pro. Once all of my tracks are recorded I can mix and pan, etc. So I can pan the drums but because it is in momo, ALL of the drum sounds pan togetehr. I can't separate the snare from the bass, cymbals, etc. I am thinking that, in a live or studio environment, all the drum sounds are generally grouped togetehr anyway so this should be OK...?

Comment

That sounds like an opinion opportunity! If you want the listener to hear the tom rolls across their ears, then no. If you don't care, then yes!

I personally prefer to hear the ride heavier on one side, the hats heavier on the other side, and toms across the ears.. just like if you were sitting in front of the kit. of course, if you're a lefty, my sounds are all backwards!

I would think that you would want to be able to pan the elements individually. I prefer to set up the panning in the module, and record it like that. That way the sounds are consistent.

That's my 2 cents.
        Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX. Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.
        sigpichttp://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=353

Comment

RichC I usually record my guitars in mono too...but drums are different. With guitar you can pan the track right or left. With drums, even if they are recorded on one track you will want the separation ghostman described above. Why can you only record in mono if the output signal is in stereo? Or am I totally misunderstanding? If you have two output signals (one mono and both needed for stereo) you could go to radio shack and buy a single cable that has two 1/4 inch jacks split on one side but only one on the other...this should give you the stereo sound coming out of the module on a single track. (Hope that makes sense)

Comment

All

Thanks for your input. Sounds like you all agree that stereo will give me a better sound for recording the drums. I just need to figure out my hardware problem... Paulbiz, I think I will try what you suggested with the 2/1 jack cable, that sounds like it could work.

Comment

Rich: Actually, "real" drums are miced seperately, well, to a certain extent. Obviously any given mic will have some bleedover effects (which are modeled in the VST software packages for example). However, having all those microphones on a studio drum kit means the mixing engineer/producer do have quite a bit of ability to manipulate the sound, panning, etc.

In edrums, we just achieve the same result a little bit differently. Also, it enables you to get a really good balance on the drums since you have all the components to play with seperately.

Stereo is a step in that direction.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
              TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

When you say, "did not work", do you mean you got no sound using a stereo cable, or that it was not in stereo?

I don't know exactly how you've set youself up, but I'm guessing your pre- has a balanced input so the stereo line (headphone out) isn't gonna work correctly for what you're trying to do.
                Last edited by Phil_The_Rodent; 01-21-09, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Phil: When I say the stereo connection didn't work, what I meant was that I hooked up two stereo output jacks (L and R) from my TD9 and plugged them into my pre-amp (L and R). What I got was either no sound or a LOT of feedback noise. So I was never even able to record. When I used onlu one jack for Mono outpu and input, it worked fine, with no feedback and I was able to record OK.

Comment

Gotcha.

I looked at the wiring diagram of the TD-9 and it looks like R/L outputs are unbalanced, so try using mono (TS) lines for both. Pre- to the computer interface you should be good with the stereo cables. Also, the TD-9 should be line-level out so you should be just fine without the Pre- at all.

Comment

Thanks Phil, I'll give that a shot...

Comment

Working...
                      X