Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In way over my head..(midi, mackie, AK1, etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In way over my head..(midi, mackie, AK1, etc)

..and not afraid to admit it!

Holy Cow..I haven't felt this helpless since I was at a spelling contest and realized it was in Hieroglyphs. bad- dum...ch.

GAS Attack over the holidays leads to headaches.

MIDI Newbie..I have read lots and sort of understand how it works from a hi level ..info not sounds..velocity data etc.

I have been currently recording old school style:

Laptop line out to Tape in on on Mackie Mixer
    Mackie Mixer has inputs from Master outs from TDW20 and SPD-S

Then I play MP3 of drumless tune using Media Player, VLC etc.

This gives me a rough mix of me playing to the track, and it sounds fine.

Then Mackie outputs the sum of the audio into Audacity via my line IN on the laptop.

Long and complicated explanation for a straight forward setup I suppose.

Now to the new toy I got for xmas. Audio Kontrol 1. A USB 2.0 External sound device and MIDI device.

So here is what I want to accomplish first.
    -Just capture me playing my VDRUMS ad lib to Cubase LE using MIDI , and then playing back the track using either the VDRUM Sounds or a VST..probably AD but not sure just yet.

2nd thing to accomplish is play along to a drumless track and have a Multi Track recording of the drum parts..both MIDI and "as heard" from the TDW20..so I can mix the drum tracks together...quantize some errant beats, experiment with different kits or sounds at will. Then finally mix the whole thing together to a stereo track. (stereo drumless mp3 , and the quantized/edited,mixed, drum sounds finalized track).

3rd thing to accomplish is have remote players record their individual tracks to a click using Cubase then send the cubase project off off to me to add the drum track, and then we can refine it, mix it, and finalize it.

Whew. Lots to learn but I need some help. I need to start with the basics!

I have loaded the drivers for the AK1 onto the laptop and it seems to be working fine as the default audio device in Windows XP

I have cubase installed and loaded up the demo project to hear it, and it seems to work.

...but I am stuck on the vdrum to midi part. I have the OUT from vdrum into the IN on the AK1, and have loaded the td20.drm map into cubase. (thanks to this forum!). I see midi data (i think) coming into cubase...but I cant hear anything when I play it back,,,yes I know that I didnt actually record any sounds, but how to I get cubase to use the sounds from the tdw? I have the out from the midi device going to the IN of the TDW20 as well.

...ok so let's skip the midi part..let's just say I want to use the mackie as a mixing device..set my levels and use it like did before..only this time use the AK1 as the interface..

The problem is..the AK1 only has one 1/4 inch input..if I use the phone out from the mackie to the input on the AK1 I get signal..but it is very very weak.

I am soo lost! Sorry this is long and confusing..I have a feeling I'll be working on this for months...time which I dont have!

I realize these question are probably best answered in a phone call...and Id be willing to paypal funds to purchase your adult beverage of choice, or whatever it is you would like in return! I am not an idiot..or wasn't at least until I decided to start recording Im a drummer not a recording guru dangit!

PM me if you are interested in helping me sort this out!

Thanks for listening!

Here is a link to the AK1..
    http://www.native-instruments.com/?id=audiokontrol1
    TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
    VEX kits: Master Picks 1&2, Top 50 1&2, Exotics1, Professor Pack
    Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

I am in a similar boat as you. Trying to learn Cubase (and also Anvil Studio) is making my head spin.
    There seems to be lots of info in the forums here, but nothing that seems to help me from the ground up.

I hope someone can help you out.

Comment

I am getting closer.

I am able to load a drumless track in audacity OR Cuebase, play along with my TD20 (audio only, no midi) and then mix the two tracks together to make a mix and export to mp3. Fun.

I don't have control over the individual drums though. Obviously.

I can finally get MIDI data to record to Cuebase. from the TD20, at least I can see the levels and see hits on the track.

I can also load up addictive drums and trigger the sounds from my TD-20. Latency isn't too bad, I think I can still here the delay. It good for basic beats, but I can easily play faster than it can keep up with.

I havent figured out how to playback my grooves triggering the TD20 sounds, but if I select AD on playback I can trigger those samples. The Mapping is way off, I still need help on that.

After I clear these hurdles Ill move on to what I really want to do:

Import a drumless track , and play along while recording Multiple tracks of drums so I have better control during mixdown.

track 1 stereo drumless mp3
      track2 kick drum
      track3 HH (open, closed, bow, edge, etc) is this even possible?
      track 4 snare

etc etc
      TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
      Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Comment

For those of you learning Cubase, I strongly suggest you download the Getting Started manual:

http://www.roadkill.com/~grog/

The one posted there is for SX3 but should be pretty close to other versions and flavors.

fhaze: To get the Audio Output set properly in Cubase, download the above manual and go to page 4-41. Pay particular attention to the VST OUTPUTS section and make sure it's pointing to the right outputs.

www.myspace.com/rubberuniverse
        TD-12, DTX502, SD1000, EZDrummer, Diamond Drum 12" snare, S1000 toms/cymbals/kick, PCY10/100/135/155, CY-5/14, Hart Ride, Hart Acupad 8" kick, Epedal Pro II, Concept 1 pads/cymbals, SD1000 & Roland V Sessions racks, PD-7, Kit Toy 10" splash, DMPad ride, SamplePad, PerformancePad Pro

Comment

Thanks Grog...I am up and running 90% of what I want.

Very cool to be playing along to a track, and then record my playing in MIDI, then when I play it back I can select different kits! Often times it gives the tune a whole new feel! I love it.

Now, for recording individual instruments to separate tracks. I'll get it figured out someday

I wish I had more time to devote to this, but in the end it will be worth it.

Comment

Working...
          X