td 20 or td 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• td 20 or td 12

i'm looking to buy a td 20 or td 12...its going to be used mainly for studio applacations...does anyone know of problems with recording electronic drums in the studio...i've heard about cymbal dropout any other problems...right now i have roland td8 but i want to upgrade...getting mesh pads...kd120and also tinking about hh...or should i use my real cymbals....any help would be greatly appreciated........thanks..don
    Last edited by drum777; 12-27-08, 10:11 AM. Reason: wrong title
    TD-20, TD-8, PD-105 X3, PD-125 X 1 , KD-125, MDS-20, CY-12 C/R, PD-6 X4, VH-12, PCY-135, PCY-155...AXIS BASS DRUM PEDAL...COBRA HH STAND...............Vex'd Out To The Max Drummers Dream

I suppose that since you're in studio, you want the more realistic drum sounds available. I suggest to use VST. I personnally use Addictive Drums and although there is some fine tuning to make (AD has not been created with edrum in mind), I've been blown away by the sample quality. The cymbal sounds are quite amazing. On the money side, you need to buy a good computer, a good audio interface and the software but that should be equal to getting a TD-20.

However, if you still want to use the module to generate the sound, both TD-12 and TD-20 are using the same sound engine. The difference is with the number of triggers you can connect and also the number of outputs. Oh yeah I forgot the expansion for the TD-20 that seems to bring whole new sounds. I haven't heard the cymbal samples of the TDW-20 but without that, I think you should use your real cymbals to get realism.

In conclusion, software side offers the more realistic sounds but you need to have more equipment with it. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by drum777 View Post
      does anyone know of problems with recording electronic drums in the studio...i've heard about cymbal dropout...
      That's not a common complaint or anything which couldn't be cured.

Bruce

Comment

thanks..maybe i should elaborate more...right now all i have is a br1600 ..alot of money i had went into the construction of the studio...so was thinking using the br 1600 to get started and the td 20 module..i have a td8 right now but wanted more bang for thr buck...definately in time will get a a mac and firestudio but right now just wanted to get my drum sound together with my electronics....so i can start making decent recording....thanks again for your input.........don
        TD-20, TD-8, PD-105 X3, PD-125 X 1 , KD-125, MDS-20, CY-12 C/R, PD-6 X4, VH-12, PCY-135, PCY-155...AXIS BASS DRUM PEDAL...COBRA HH STAND...............Vex'd Out To The Max Drummers Dream

Comment

Originally posted by drum777 View Post
          i'm looking to buy a td 20 or td 12...its going to be used mainly for studio applacations...does anyone know of problems with recording electronic drums in the studio...i've heard about cymbal dropout any other problems...right now I have roland td8 but i want to upgrade...getting mesh pads...kd120and also tinking about hh...or should i use my real cymbals....any help would be greatly appreciated........thanks..don
          I thought about using real cymbals too but, I want to be able to edit things
          after the fact or change tempo's etc...
          So, live cymbals can't be edited this way.

As far as the length of the decay? or drop out I haven't had any, decay is adjustable in my TDW-20.
          This makes it sound more realistic. I am trying to get my Roland to sound
          close enough to fool. So I am using the 8 outputs and trying them through various pre's and adding compression eq and room to get close to
          what I feel could sound acoustic. Trying to warm them up fatten and
          and space can make them a little more real. If you want dry up front, I think
          it sounds good but not as real as adding room or space.Also rolling off some of the high's helps.
          Being that they are digital it sounds warmer this way. I actually made mastered my cd this way to make it sound more like tape. Digital is clear but to me it's too clear! Chilly clear!

The TDW-20 is what I recommend if you plan to possibly use the sounds in it. If not then the TD-12 or even some of the others will work. I also have Superior 2.0 and C&V. I have BFD 1.5 but, could never set it up right. They sound good but, there are trade off's. The V-drums are better IMHO
          to playabuility, And there is no latency to worry about.Just turn them on an play.

But, for me the TDW-20 has the best control features especially that you can use the Vh-12 with them. The most realistic hi hat for V-drums.

Good luck.

Trevor
          Last edited by trevort; 12-28-08, 09:52 PM.

Comment

I'm using TD6 with S2, and will soon be upgrading to TD12 with S2. You would not be able to get near the authenticity S2 provides even with a TD20 AFAIK, although I would certainly like to know how to record any TD kit as midi - if you can help, please PM me!

S2 uses a kit called the 'NY AVATAR GMS' which is a five tom prog kit, basically. If you can't trigger it all from your ekit, you can add, subtract or change sounds in your edit, so it is fab. Plus you can move your mistakes and time goofs. No problems with cymbal trails either as it's all midi. My recording path is:

TD12KV > M-Audio Fast Track Pro (interface) > S2 sitting in old Logic 5 for PC.

Comment

thanks alot for all input recieved....i appreciate it...with the studio built its time to start my endevor...lol......i know i have a lot to learn...and maybe soon i'll be able to add input and help someone else out thanks again...don p

Comment

I'm recording tracks for a friend of mine; sending the files to him. I first tried the TD-20 (unexpanded) and he pressed me to record my Yamahas instead. I agreed the stock Roland sounds were not quite there. I then ordered and installed the TDW-20 card. I gave myself some time to work with the new samples, tweaking things until I could get a convincing drum sound. It's imperative that you work with mic placement, mic size (for the kick only), snare materials and depth to get what you want; not to mention using compression to give the snare "pop". For example, I found a knockout fat snare sound using the CustomWood snare and increasing the shell depth to 18 inches and making the material wood. Then, I could get a great piccalo snare by making the same sample a brass shell, and the shell 2.5" deep.

I sent tracks to him and his engineer/producer, who's a real pain when it comes to drum sounds. He loved the results, so happily, I'm using the TDW-20. And, bear in mind, I'm sending the tracks bone-dry using the separate outputs. For another band, I sent them pre-mixed stereo mastered drum tracks using the new ambience sounds. They also love the results.

Don't underestimate the TDW-20; it's a powerful tool once you dig into it.
                Roland TD-20 Expanded, Yamaha Recording Custom accoustic drums, 7 piece w/ 5 cymbals, DW2000 double kick pedal, RT-10 triggers, SPD-S
                http://www.gabbleratchet.com
                http://www.myspace.com/gabbleratchet

Comment

Since the TD20 (and TDW20, of course) give you 8 discreet outputs, I think you will find that much better for post-production tweaking, although another option would be to record the performance via MIDI, tweak it, and play it back through the module for final recording. I would agree that the TDW20 sounds are more realistic. Hopefully Vexepressionsltd.com will soon grace us with a batch of tweaks and save us all a lot of time!
                  Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

As stick mentioned above the exra outputs on the TD20 makes it more suitable for studio use.... or playing back your MIDI track recorded.... but I believe with limite outputs (lie the td12) it could be a pain in the neck .. since you will need to pass couple tracks individually .. to get separate sounds.

I have a br1600 too and a TD20 .. it worked as a charm although nowadays I use my DAW/VST for recording ... see my signature.

Pim
                    Roland TD50, Roland PM30 and KC 550 Studio Capture /Dell XPS I7 32GB RAM Reaper,Superior Drummer,BFD3 (all exp. packs),SSD5 Ezdrummer 2, XLN Addictive Drums

Comment

Working...
                    X