Alesis Trigger I/O for studio work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alesis Trigger I/O for studio work?

Anyone using an E-drum kit or triggers on a drum kit and using the Alesis Trigger I/O to trigger drum samples for recording inside Cubase or any other recording software? I am considering purchasing one of these as a recording tool for recording midi drums in Cubase4. Any of you having sucess or issues doing the same?

Originally posted by Hattrick View Post
    Anyone using an E-drum kit or triggers on a drum kit and using the Alesis Trigger I/O to trigger drum samples for recording inside Cubase or any other recording software? I am considering purchasing one of these as a recording tool for recording midi drums in Cubase4. Any of you having sucess or issues doing the same?
    Have you tried the search function? The Alesis Trigger I/O works best with non-Roland mesh trigger pads. You might want to use the search function. A lot of people have used the Alesis Trigger I/O with great success. See RET percussion.
    http://www.retpercussion.us/
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

I've been using a Trigger IO since August with my DIY ekit. I can't say that I'm completely happy with it. It's OK. I'd much rather have a Roland module and Roland pads to trigger samples with. But that was considerably more expensive than the route I went.

Compared to the integration of Roland modules w/ Roland pads....the Alesis Trigger IO doesn't compare. But, obviously it's much much cheaper.

Having said that...you CAN get decent results if you really tinker with the settings a lot.

Gear: TD-12 module, CY-14C crash, Yamaha PCY-135 crash, CY-12R/C crash, CY-15R/C ride, CY-12C & FD-7 hi-hat setup, MDS-12 rack, PD-125 snare, PD-85 rack toms, PD-105 floor tom, Presonus FP10, MacBook Pro 13", Superior Drummer 2.3, Logic 9 Studio, JH Audio JH-5 Pro IEM, Sennheiser HD-280 Pro cans, Gretsch Renown maple acoustic kit (Zildjian cymbals, Remo heads, Gibraltar/DW hardware)

Comment

That is helpful information. I guess we would be best to use a Roland unit.
        Last edited by Hattrick; 12-23-08, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellfire View Post
          Have you tried the search function? The Alesis Trigger I/O works best with non-Roland mesh trigger pads. You might want to use the search function. A lot of people have used the Alesis Trigger I/O with great success. See RET percussion.
          http://www.retpercussion.us/
          Yes I started there. However it is hard to find a match of users who are using VST drums for recording and the results of the Alesis I/O performance as per latency and triggering accuracy.

Comment

Hi, I use the Alesis DM5 as a drum trigger Alesis pads, and custom pads, and record with both Cubase and Reaper. I do use VST,s however, I tend to use the Motif XS as my sound source. I have not had any issues with midi triggering from the DM5 at all, and if there are any errors I just edit them out. I am not a pro drummer so any fast sections I can not play with the pads I move onto a Korg PadKontrol. With recording from the DM5 you just need to spend a little time setting the system up correctly and use a well designed or custom music computer to remove latency issues.When I first setup the DM5 with the strange collection of pads I had and recorded midi data I found that when I used th data to trigger external sound generators that what had been recorded and what was being played back were different. When the DM5 mistriggers or dual triggers by mistake you do not always notice it when playing live. It is worth taking the time to setup all the pads correctly so each trigger is pure. Use a midi monitoring tool, MIDI-OX, or something like it, on the commputer to live montor your midi data being sent from the DM5, this way you can get the system almost perfect. I hope some of this might help.

Comment

I am now looking into a RET Percusion Kit which claims they have designed their kit around the VST software and the Alesis Trigger I/O. The YouTube videos I have watched seem quite convincing that it would do the job for far less money than a TD-20.

Comment

For recording, Alternate mode drumKat, DK-10, and trapKat are all excellent.
                Have you considered any of those?
                Last edited by Vectron; 01-05-09, 10:49 PM.

Comment

I never heard of them but I am going to check them out today thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X