Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDW-20 Expansion?? Worth the upgrade??

Hey,
    I'm interested in getting the new upgrade for the TD-20 but don't know what the improvement entails. I know there are over 300 new sounds, but how many new snares, kicks, and toms are there? Are they way better than the original sounds? What else is worth taking the upgrade? I mainly use my TD to record in the studio...

Thanks a lot!
    RD

The biggest improvement, IMO, is the hihat response. It really is a lot better. The new sounds are great, and give the drummer a richer pallette to choose from, but my kit of choice is still drawn predominantly from the original sounds, peiced together from various VEX Master Picks kits. I am waiting on the VEX folks to come up with some nice tweaks using the new sounds. There are at least two threads dealing with the TDW20 at this forum, so you might want to find them using the search function.

Is it worth it? For me, just barely. For someone looking for more sounds, ambience settings, copying options, switchable functions, and under such goodies, quite possibly.
    Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Please take the time to search titles for TDW-20. There is PLENTY of info to answer your question.
      Alan
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I'm actually glad the expansion is not the most fantastic life-altering thing to come since sliced bread.

I was thinking I should save for a bazillian years to get the TD-20 module because of the expansion. Sounds like I'll be fine with the TD-12.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenbutmean View Post
          I'm actually glad the expansion is not the most fantastic life-altering thing to come since sliced bread.

I was thinking I should save for a bazillian years to get the TD-20 module because of the expansion. Sounds like I'll be fine with the TD-12.
          Yeah, it was nice to get it (early Christmas gift), but will it propel you to Nirvana? No.
          Id rather be told the ugly truth than handed a pretty lie.

Comment

Not to defend Roland here but Roland I am sure just gets a usable pallett for the average user. This is why they give the user all the editing parameters so you can tweak to you hearts content . I am sure Alan and the guys spend Hours ( as I have ) tweaking there sounds and I still do tweak on mine just about every room I play ..
            The module can be a plug and play unit but half the fun for me is see what I can come up with on my own . No matter what Roland came up with I would tweak and EQ to siut my taste..
            I have never owned any of the Vxpression kits but have demoed them and they sound very good but I just have always used my own sounds .
            I had considered getting the TDW20 but have opted not to yet .
            It sounds like it is over priced for what you get , I like the interval control on the Cymbals and the fact that the hihat works better but to tell you the truth I have had no issues with the stock hat.

Zeke

Comment

Originally posted by zekedrum View Post
              Not to defend Roland here but Roland I am sure just gets a usable pallett for the average user. This is why they give the user all the editing parameters so you can tweak to you hearts content . I am sure Alan and the guys spend Hours ( as I have ) tweaking there sounds and I still do tweak on mine just about every room I play ..
              The module can be a plug and play unit but half the fun for me is see what I can come up with on my own . No matter what Roland came up with I would tweak and EQ to siut my taste..
              I have never owned any of the Vxpression kits but have demoed them and they sound very good but I just have always used my own sounds .
              I had considered getting the TDW20 but have opted not to yet .
              It sounds like it is over priced for what you get , I like the interval control on the Cymbals and the fact that the hihat works better but to tell you the truth I have had no issues with the stock hat.

Zeke
              I totally agree with you Zeke. It's already a great product and if you spend some time with the module, you can come up with a great deal of material to use. Why buy an expansion when you haven't explored all the possibilities you already have? It's just a way for Roland to generate some profit!

SCREW ROLAND!
              Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
              www.oblyvion.com
              Facebook:[Scych]
              You Tube Scychful
              Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

I think many people were looking for more turn-key miracles from the card. What many of them are missing is the additional incredible tools (that have to be used), sufficient new sounds (that have to be tweaked), much better quality ambiances (that have to be used & tweaked) and a vast improvement in HH realism that make the card worth it to me.
                Alan
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

i got my card over a month ago. i played with it for about 2 days and i ripped my studio apart, major reconstruction. to date i still haven't finished but,very close too. soon i will set up my td 20 again. point is i have limited time on it.
                  with that, the main thing i noticed with the expansion was the feel changed!!! i was able to play the kit more relaxed and with a more true feeling,expressivness. i struggled playing my kit before the expansion and playing with the x card it was so much more enjoyable.
                  to my ear the sounds are better,cymbals have more sparkle and so on. the hh seemed to work much better.
                  good point about not needing to upgrade because you haven't explored all the possibilites of the unexpanded card but, with the card the feeling changed (for me) for the better!!!

Comment

ohhhhhhh sorry bout that amon i got a phone call in the middle of my post.looks like you beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by havyck View Post
                      It's just a way for Roland to generate some profit!
                      Run and hide! It's the evil profit machine again....that nefarious beast determined to reinvest in future technologies and help create and sustain jobs, while the beast's submissive corporate servants mindlessly pursue the acquisition of meaningless luxuries like food, clothing, and shelter. Evil I say, evil!

Didn't we debate this about 8 months ago?

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...996#post302996

I must have missed your rebuttal.
                      Last edited by Guest_User_DA; 12-21-08, 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

No problem x9, that illustrates exactly what I was saying.

I agree. The "feel" has changed a little. It's subtle, but I think experienced drummers will notice it. It is more realistic. I did notice that as well.
                        Alan

Comment

I am trying to understand why people can not hear the difference between the stock td20 and the tdw20. The td20 is about the easiest electronic device in the world to edit. I have found it to be a night and day difference in sound if you edit it. You will really notice if you are mixing recordings as well.

Everyone else in my band has noticed,so I am surprised a drummer playing the kit could not notice. It sounds incredible through a good PA system for live work. I think it is better sounding than the most vst drums live. I use the vst drums and Roland sounds for recordings,but I have found many of the vst's to sound harsh and thin through a PA. I can make them work by removing alot of room sound and adding EQ,but the Roland sounds work very naturally through most PA's.

I paid the full $500 and am happy that Roland created the card. They are also very helpful with support as well.

The snare ,hi hat and ride are very different from the stock sounds. They not only sound better,but they translate your playing so much better. I have found that detailed playing comes through especially with these sounds. The kick is much better as well. I was never happy with the kick in the stock td20.

Anyone who is not happy with this card should really at least start by changing instruments and tuning to get an idea of editing. Just going through all the new sounds for each intrument will make a huge difference. Some of them seem to trigger better than others. I can put up a list of my favorites if anyone is interested .

It is very easy to try all the different ambience settings while playing,or let one of the patterns play while you change them. This again makes a very big difference in sound. The vst drums people seem to like so much have a lot of room sound in most of the presets.

I like vst drums too,and I am beta testing some new Platinum Samples sounds. Their Jim Scott pack is quite stunning and plays amazingly well, but I still like the Roland sounds too. I think the tdw20 is a must have for live performance.

It will be interesting to hear feedback once people have explored the tdw20.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by Drew Armentrout View Post
                            Run and hide! It's the evil profit machine again....that nefarious beast determined to reinvest in future technologies and help create and sustain jobs, while the beast's submissive corporate servants mindlessly pursue the acquisition of meaningless luxuries like food, clothing, and shelter. Evil I say, evil!

Didn't we debate this about 8 months ago?

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthre...996#post302996

I must have missed your rebuttal.
                            Drew, as a Roland EMPLOYEE, you have a MAAAAAAAAAAAJOR conflict of interest. Hahahaha. I don't expect any objective commentary from you.

I'd rather have money in my pocket than put it in the pocket of some evil corporate machine. New gadgets are notoriously overpriced and buggy. All I'm saying is let the "beta testers" spend their money and shake out all the bugs first. Then, when it's been declared a good or GREAT upgrade, which so far hasn't happened, wait until the next expansion board or until the current card has lost it's luster and the TDW will be more reasonably priced. It will still have all the same options, it'll just be much cheaper. In the mean time, do as much as you can with the module you have and oh yeah, try to be the best DRUMMER you can be.
                            These are just smarter choices, which, oddly often deviate from the norm.

Neal Peart said, "Everybody got to deviate from the norm..."
                            Music is not my passion, it's my obsession...
                            www.oblyvion.com
                            Facebook:[Scych]
                            You Tube Scychful
                            Twitter:@Raakinn

Comment

Quote: Then, when it's been declared a good or GREAT upgrade, which so far hasn't happened
                              Who said it is not a great upgrade?

Have you even tried the expansion? I have spent an incredible # of hours with the stock td20,and you cannot get it sounding close to the tdw20. I use every type of VST as well for comparison.

I don't mind the cost of the tdw20,but I think it would be a more valid to complain about the cost of the td20 module. It has been out for a # of years and they have increased the price. I don't know of any piece of technology where that has happened.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X