Pitch?! (ProTools)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch?! (ProTools)

Well, I've come arcoss a problem with ProTools that I've never read anything about, aznd it has never been posted either. Pitch. And I'm not talking about the pitch shift plug-in. I'm talking about playback. It's almost like the whole song was dropped half an octave.

Not only that, but after bouncing to the disk as an mp3, I tried to play it back and it had been saved half an octave too low, just like the playback!

Has anyone ever run into this problem? I never even opened the pitch shift plug-in, so this is really weird, right?

Anyone?
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Here's the problem. I recorded in 16 bit at 44.1 kHz. I know that's what cd supports, so I knew it would turn out right.

WRONG!!

I have no idea why. But all my saved songs are down in pitch and longer in length. What else could cause this?

Comment

You're getting a HALF octave drop? A full octave would be half speed playback.. I guess half would be 3/4 speed? Trying to work out the math on this one.. Might even be logarithmic and therefore be something other than 75% of the original speed..

There should be a playback or monitor or listen or something similiarly named setting on there.. In Sonar for example, there's a record bit depth and rate, and then a playback setting which can be different.. I've never had a pitch change, it just calculates it on the fly.. Maybe contact Digidesign on this one? I can check at school if you don't have any luck and see what one of the certified guys has to offer on it..

I'd advise doing 24 bit/48kHz for your recordings.. it's still an arguable thing going up to 88/96kHz, everyone has an opinion.. only go to 16/44.1 when you're mastering for cd recording.. keep it higher for better sounding reverb trails, cymbals, etc, etc.. Higher settings are more noticeable when you start processing after initial recording, but maybe less noticeable on initial playback after recording..

Lemme know how you make out..
      Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Well, maybe it is an octave, but that seems a little too slow. I'm positive it's two switches conflicting with each other or something. I contacted digidesign, or tried to, many times. No luck. I tried their similar style forum to the vdrum.com forum, the Digidesign DUC. No one wants to even help me. Most people there are never in the modd to help me bacause I don't know enough about it. Not real nice people...

If you could check that out for me Shep, that would be so awesome. I really would appreciate that!

As far as the 24 bit/48kHz deal...no good. I can't believe this, but there's actually a glitch with the software and the 001 system. The 001 is the only system that has this problem. But fo no reason, there is an error that appears, called the "6045" error. And the system actually freezes up completely, which destroys critical recordings. You can spend all the money you want on fancy mic pres and special cords, but if this happens, then it's all pointless. It really ticks me off. There are things to 'make it happen less,' but that's not good enough. It needs to work, and nothing else, damn it!

Maybe there's a patch. Oh wait, no. I checked on that one too...no where in site. DAMN!!

Comment

Wow, that sucks man!

I'll check with my 9am instructors tomorrow.. One of them is doing a death metal band on his roommate's ProTools rig.. Guess it's pretty extensive and he's been in the industry since the early 80's.. If he can't help, he'll know someone else at school who can help..

Is there any chance of returning it at this point? Just a thought, not trying to rub it in.. Sounds like the support isn't what it needs to be.. Didn't know if it had been 30 days or whatever the limit is yet or not..

Digi002 just came out too, but the list is $2,495.. Has a control surface with it too though and more features.. but that's not really important, getting your gear working 100%, 100% of the time is the important thing. Especially if (as you mentioned) you want to make a business with your equipment, can't have it crapping out 'less of the time' with some workaround, you need to count on it.. Wouldn't want my dentist' equipment to work as described 'most of the time' and then sometimes tear a hole through my cheek while getting a cleaning.. Similiar idea here..

I'll check on that tomorrow for you though.. cya!
          -Eric
          Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Working...
          X