Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I suppose this belongs here...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I suppose this belongs here...

I just bought a mackie 802vlz3.

I plugged my TD20 master outs (LR) and the SPD-S (LR) to the mixer. Mono plugs of course,

I also used my laptop and did 1/8 to rca for tape in and tape out.

I now use my Bose headphones from the Mackie phone out.

Here is my problem:

Now the kits sound a little different, and it's tough to get the kit to sound good when recording to Audacity. The kicks sounds Boomy when playing back.

Is this normal and ai just need to tweak things a bit? I was hoping to plug and play.

the main reason I bought the Mackie was to play to some prerecorded tracks and lay down some drums for him, but it sounds so bad I'd be embarrassed to send it to him. Any suggestions, or if you need more info let me know.
    TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
    VEX kits: Master Picks 1&2, Top 50 1&2, Exotics1, Professor Pack
    Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Check that all trigger inputs are routed to L and R master outputs at SETUP, OUTPUT, MASTER?

Bruce

Comment

will do, I am using a bevy of unmolested vex kits right now..only thing is hh offset. Are they not configured that way from from vex?
      TDW-20s Black Firmware 2.51: 3 extra CY12's, DW 9002's, SPD-S, PM-30, Mackie 802-VLZ3, Laptop, AudioKontrol 1, CueBase 4, Addictive Drums, Superior 2.0
      Acoustics in storage: Eames Finetone shells, Gretsch diecast hoops 8,10,12,14,16,22. '66 Slingerland snare. Tama 'hardware, lots of Zildjians.

Comment

[QUOTE=fhaze;342989]I just bought a mackie 802vlz3.

I plugged my TD20 master outs (LR) and the SPD-S (LR) to the mixer. Mono plugs of course,

I also used my laptop and did 1/8 to rca for tape in and tape out.

I now use my Bose headphones from the Mackie phone out.

Here is my problem:

Now the kits sound a little different, and it's tough to get the kit to sound good when recording to Audacity. The kicks sounds Boomy when playing back.

Is this normal and ai just need to tweak things a bit? I was hoping to plug and play.

the main reason I bought the Mackie was to play to some prerecorded tracks and lay down some drums for him, but it sounds so bad I'd be embarrassed to send it to him. Any suggestions, or if you need more info let me know.[/QUOTE i don't know how much recording you've done before but if you've been listening to your drums say through good headphones then you just won't be able to get that sound quality with a $ 200 mixer going to your computer through 1/8 inch plugs to audacity on playback..even if you had really good speakers..good playback is expensive and requires an interface of some sort but you can still achive reasonable results by running the output gain on the td-20 at only about 6 oclock as those small mixers do better when they are not pressured..stay just below the yellow on your imput trims on the mackie mixer, and in your laptop, make sure the imput lines/aux/or mics are only about half their imput levels.same thing on playback with trim and master outs on the mackie.this will give your recordings a little more headroom..if it's still not acceptable, then you'll have to spend more money. sorry for the bad news but it's cheaper if you know. recording on that setup can be a great learning experience though..

Comment

Hope I'm not being too basic here. I would start by eliminating the mixer and seeing if things play back OK without that in the path. If not, try just using your resident recording program to see if maybe Audacity is the culprit. Bottom line, if it sounds good in the headphones straight out of the module, then something down the line is creating the problem.

Maybe I'm being dense, but why don't you just play back the tracks you are drumming with through your Mix In channel? You can elect to send or not send to the main mix depending on whether you want it to record with the drums.

The boominess may be caused by your sound card, I'm thinking. Try transferring the file to a trusted MP3 player and see if it persists.

Again, sorry if I'm missing and important point here...

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it.

I will try these out and see what's what.

Comment

Success! My levels were set too high and it was distorting things, even though it sounded fine in the cans.

I turned down the send to the input on the laptop and it got much better.

Jeeze I wish I had a multitrack so I can mix the entire kit

The rumblings GAS have begun..again.

Comment

Originally posted by fhaze View Post
                Success! My levels were set too high and it was distorting things, even though it sounded fine in the cans.

I turned down the send to the input on the laptop and it got much better.

Jeeze I wish I had a multitrack so I can mix the entire kit

The rumblings GAS have begun..again.
                http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-M...73-i1320208.gc

Comment

Working...
                X