Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question for you ProTools users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are rediculous
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Comment

hey shep, you know what? im going to agree with cjude here. i think he and i offended you because we are fans of something that you don't think is the best. you feel you have to defend your product because you've found that some people like something different. but for our work, i know it suits me perfect. probably the same with cjude.

its like a mercedes. or a lexus. you don't exactly get the biggest bang for the buck. what do you get? the pleasure of knowing that if for some strange reason you were hit by a cruise missle, you have the security of knowing that you have a greater chance of survival in, say, a nissan maxima.

see, with the maxima, you can outfit it inside and out, and i actually think it looks better than some of the more expensive and similar cars. you can even beef up your maxima past the mercedes, and you save a lot of money. you get a lot more bang out of your buck.

but's lets say you like that BMW....

i've tried out a lot of different versions of DAW's and i just haven't found one as clean, powerful, and smooth running as protools. and that's all there is to it.

SO STOP TRYING TO CONVERT US!!!

Comment

Algee, true, whatever works best for you is what's best.. But how much time have you *really* had to spend with this stuff? I don't want to sound like an old man, but you told me you're 15, right? When I was 15 I was in school 4/5's of the year. I didn't have the money to buy whatever I wanted. I didn't have a chance to hang out in music stores and/or studios for 8 hours a day.. Bottom line, my hands on experience was a lot less until I was out of high school and had more free time.. So the point is, maybe you like it out of what you've used, but it's doubtful you've spent much time with any of these systems overall, and/or tried very many of them.. So we're just trying to show you that there are other options..

Yeah I agree on the car thing, that's why I drive a Subaru Outback with a 700 watt power amp, leather, power everything.. I can drive through anything, I'm safe in a crash, I can tow 2,000lbs, I can fit lots of stuff in the back, etc, etc.. I wouldn't do that with a $50,000 Escalade.. I'd keep that in a showroom ala Ferris Bueller's day off..

Good luck and please don't be too offended, we just want everyone to have an open mind to all the options available..
        -Eric
        Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Yeah, I guess I smell what you're steppin in. But let me assure you, I've been in the business big time since I started about 2 years ago. I've come to find that no matter what your age, no matter what your style, once you've proven that you've got the ability to strut your stuff in this business, everyone is equal. 15 years old, 60 years old. It doesn't matter in this case. I've worked with people internationally and all over the area designing, building, running, working, mixing, sampling, playing (my V's ), and producing sweet sounding material that uses everything related to digital music. It's a wonderful world to be a part of. And not to be big headed or anything, but I'm at a position that most people of my age aren't at, as far as this business is concerned. And no, I'm not a wealthy person. Dad's an engineer, mom's a housewife. Two brothers graduated college a couple of years ago. I'm part of a middle class family, so the luxury of money is not always at my fingertips. But when I want something, I work hard for it. That doesn't mean flipping burgers at McDonald's. Oh no, that means working for the PA service company that runs concerts like DMB and Creed and so on. You know, NOT small concerts.

True, I'v only been in the field as long as a couple of years. But I love what I do. And what I do is how I come up with the finances to do more. I do appreciate your help with system design though. That helped out a lot! But hey...what are you talking about?! I love the Subaru Outback, 700 watt amp or not!

Comment

No, I love my Outback too! I'm just saying I don't think I'd take it out into the woods and stuff, if it were a $50k 'luxury SUV'.. $25k was plenty to spend on a vehicle, thanks =)

Sounds like you're doing well for yourself then, glad to see that, I respect that a lot.. Very cool that you're into some higher profile jobs early-on as well..

Lemme know how you make out with everything, and when you record something, let everyone know about it so we can hear it!
            -Eric
            Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Originally posted by feefer

Hi Boingo,

I love your dry humor. In fact, it's so dry, I can't tell if you're sliming me, or Algee.

Interesting: I've noticed my eyelids have been twitching alot lately, but how would you know that (unless you're watching me or sumtin')? I thought the twitching was due to all the Jolt Cola I drank (but that's another story).

Chris
              ??????? Humor ???????? No, no, no. I'm a pro now. I was just sharing.
              Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

Boingo always seems to chime in just at the right time. Good job dude!

Anyway, yeah. I'm pretty pumped for what the future of my own digital recording career will hold for me. In fact, I've already decided on that. I'm probably going to end up at a new school related to UF called the Digital Worlds Institute. The only problem is that theyu don't focus on much of the audio side of digital. More of animation than anything. Did I ever tell you that I was looking into FullSail as well? I'm really interested in that place.

I'm currently putting together my DAW (that's digital audio workstation, right?! ). All the rooms in my house right now are being completely redone. Renovated, painted, refurnished. At least the upstairs is. And that's smack where I'm setting up DAW camp. So getting things done in there is a little hard! I've put together all the hardware and tonight I'm loading up the software. I'll definitly let you guys know how things are going with it.

Comment

Cool, yeah Full Sail is definately a cool place.. Haven't heard of the Digital Worlds Institute.. Where is that at?

Full Sail is cool cause of all the industry ties they have.

Yes, DAW is Dig Aud Wkstation..

What is 'UF' in this case, U of Florida?

Full Sail is one of the top schools, but it's quite demanding.. 2 year degree in 12 months isn't easy..I'm really enjoying it though.. They're right on top of new gear all the time, since classes start every month, they're CONSTANTLY replacing gear, so people who started a month before me were on earlier versions of software, other hardware sometimes, etc.. so that we can be the most current and have the best of the best, etc.. it's cool.. lot of schools will go a year or two before replacing things.. Then you miss out on a lot of schtuff..

One of my instructors went to school in Gainesville, I think UF and said the town was really boring there.. He left school after 3 of 4 years completed.. Things are cool here and I'm meeting a lot of really cool people to do projects with and jam with..

Comment

Yeah, the digital worlds institute is a side school of the university of florida. Both my brothers spent years in Gainesville, and i know the town like the back of my hand. its really simple, not much to it, you know, that kind of place. i like that atmosphere.

the best part about DWI is that i can take classes there along with the other needed classes to graduate with a good standing. its a nice place. in about two weeks im going to go to full sail and check things out there. and yeah, that does sound a little demanding!!

Comment

Cool.. well if you wanna go out together before or after your visit there, let me know.. Are you going to the monthly open house deal there? I'd recommend that, but private tours are cool too..

So are you saying you'd finish high school at the Dig World Ins place? Or college courses there? The thing I like about Full Sail is that I get an associate's degree without taking all the usual math, science, etc courses.. just 1 month of Behavioral Science, 2 4 classes a week.. It's like psychology and learning how to deal with people, stress, workload, etc.. really cool actually..

Comment

Working...
                      X