A question for you ProTools users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for you ProTools users

Hey guys. I plan on purchasing the Digi 001 system pretty soon now. I've been discussing the 001 system with many people lately. I've also been researching the system, reading reviews, watching demos, etc.

But nowhere did I find any information on EQ during the mix process.

I even ordered a free promotional video from digidesign and they never once discuss EQ.

Is the EQ in the mix window or is it controlled by plugins or what? Thanks!
    The best damn kid in the record industry. Maybe.

Do you mean the "mastering" process???

Do you mean the "mixdown" process???

Or do you mean pulling up, say a vocal track and adding more midrange or dropping the highs before the mixdown???

either way, your mixing console allows you to pull up EQ's on every track....

I wouldn't start messing with EQ's until you've mixed down all your tracks to a two track master....how do you know what to take away and what to add until you know where it sits in the mix....if you start eQ'ing everything before you mix it down you're just going to have a huge mess on your hands, unless you want to add some bottom to the bass instruments....

This is just a general rule of thumb and by no means the only way to deal with EQ, but to answer the original question, yes, EQ is essentially a plugin on every track in your mixing console...just like a real mixing desk in a pro studio..
    Last edited by captain54; 07-07-02, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Hey Algee,

Did I read correctly that you don't yet own the Digi001? If that's true and you don't, save your cash and get something else.. Nearly anything else for that matter.. The ProTools stuff is all closed-architecture, monopolizing gear.. It's overpriced and overrated too.. You mentioned spending $1300 on the advanced 001 (I forget the letters after the model).. With that kinda cash you could get a MOTU 2408 MKII AND your mics and have money leftover. Maybe even get the 1/4" to ADAT converter too.. Then you can run whatever workstation software you want, instead of just running what Digidesign thinks you should have.. Sure ProTools is a 'studio standard', but the world can change, and unless you're planning on sharing with a pro studio in the next year or two, the 001's gonna be obsolete before you get into that situation. I believe they're coming out with an 002 or something similiarly titled in August or September.. Also, they currently don't support OS-X, so you need to run OS9 on your Mac. On the PC side, they only support Win 98 and ME right now, and when they release the next thing, they're DROPPING support for OS9, 98 and ME and ONLY supporting OS-X, Win XP *Home only* on the LE side and Win XP *Pro only* on the better versions of ProTools..

That's just not right, leaving everyone currently to use out of date operating systems and then all of a sudden, they're dropping support for their entire current user base's operating systems and FORCING them to run OS-X or XP Home or Pro.. Even if people like Win 2000 more for example.. It won't run on it. or if you prefer OS9. So they force people to be behind the times and then they're forcing people to get with the times, exactly when they tell them to. There are much better companies than Digidesign and you owe it to yourself to check out other gear..

That's my rant, I'm done.
      Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Yeah, too bad you told me that.

I bought it yesterday. But I looked into it heavily. Let me clear up a few things.

1. It's overpriced and overrated too..

So is Mercedes. So is Sony. Hell, so is Blockbuster. True, I'm not getting the biggest bang for the buck. But there wasn't one other system that suited my needs more perfectly. It's alos kind of a pet peeve of mine. Company with company. Things always work out better that way. At least that's guranteed to hold true.

2. With that kinda cash you could get a MOTU 2408 MKII AND your mics and have money leftover.

A system that doesn't integrate MIDI? Surely that won't do. And I definitly want to work with ProTools. Of all the systems I've worked with, ProTools is the one for me. And the price difference isn't enough. But still, 24 simulaneous ins...nice! But I ordered a 2nd optical interface. I'm covered.

3. the 001's gonna be obsolete before you get into that situation. I believe they're coming out with an 002

My system will be for here, for me, for anyone who wants to record with me. I don't need anything more. But I understand your resoning. When I got into big PA systems, building one for my band was impossible. We had a small budget! And I'm used to working with professional staging. And they want budget?! HA! Yeah, a 002, eh? Cool. Digidesign will accept old systems and allow a refund whenever you want to upgrade. Kind of like trading in a car. I like that.

4. they currently don't support OS-X, so you need to run OS9 on your Mac.

Have you checked out the new version of the software? Now it supports the latest OS's on both systems. I've always been a PC guy, but for something like this, I dont want any frilly stuff. I purchased a new Mac G4 dual-1GHz 512 RAM.

5. There are much better companies than Digidesign and you owe it to yourself to check out other gear..

There are also much more expensive companies than digidesign. I checked out plenty. This system really was the system for me.

I didn' want to seem like I was bashing all of your ideas. Because I can't say this enough: You helped me out so much. Thanks man. It really made my day to have some one I oculd ask the most technical of questions and have them out it into simpe words.

Hey did you ever check out the link to those pictures? Read my last response on the other long thread. http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.p...5&pagenumber=2

Get back to me soon.

OH YEAH, CAPTAIN54, THANKS A LOT DUDE!!

Comment

Hey man, sorry for the delay getting back to you.. Been busy here the past week!

As far as the 001 goes, to each his own.. But I think you're locked into some proprietary stuff there. Things like Cubase, Logic Audio, etc, are all standards based (VST plugins, etc).. Makes it easier to find cheap/free things to do what you need.. We've been discussing ProTools vs everything else at school this past week and it's amazing how monopolizing they really are.. You have Midi capabilities on your computer already, through the USB ports or serial ports.. Just need a $40 or $50 adapter/interface to use it.. You can always add them to have more now..

How much would you get on a trade-in with the 001 though? Gateway computers tries to do that with people, but in fine print they say 'based on current market value at time of trade, and only applies to products that have 'Gateway' written on them.. So much for that HP printer they package with your system, doh!).. When you trade in a car, you get reamed, no one's gonna argue that with me.. The only other option is leasing a car, but you get reamed if you overdo the miles or scuff it up or anything like that..

Sounds like you're off to a decent start though, let me know how it progresses..

Where are those pictures you mentioned? I checked out the gear links, but didn't see any pics otherwise?
          -Eric
          Expanded TD-10, TD-7, PTX-8, DrumKAT 3.8, 8xPD7, 5xPD9, 4xKD7, FD7, 3xPD100, 4xPD120, 4xHart Acupad TE3, 2xECymbalX, Pintech Kick, 10xLP Spike, 2xSapphire, 3xPTT8, 1xPSD8, PBD8 Kick, 2xSynare 3, 2xAcrylic Cymbals, Gibraltar/Roland racks

Comment

Originally posted by Shep2112

As far as the 001 goes, to each his own.. But I think you're locked into some proprietary stuff there. Things like Cubase, Logic Audio, etc, are all standards based (VST plugins, etc).. Makes it easier to find cheap/free things to do what you need-Eric
            just because something is cheap/free doesnt necessarily mean its going to do the job....

there is a reason Digidesign software/hardware is popular.....it works and it sounds good....Digi audio software, IMHO, is the standard that other sequencers try to emulate as far as audio goes....

the only VST stuff I've used that I've been happy with is the Native Instruments line of softsynths.....and you can get those synths in Direct Connect format, meaning it can be used with the Digi OO1.....

Comment

No, I agree with the cheap/free plugins idea not being the best thing. But the higher end ProTools stuff isn't going to sound any better than anything else.. It's all dependent upon the quality of your A/D and D/A converters.. Since everybody is doing 24/96 these days, and some are up to 32/192, it's not really a difference in sound with the program, but just your hardware..

Digidesign is doing the equivalent of giving someone some cocaine for free, and then when they get addicted, selling them the expensive stuff.. When you can get a better 'high' from playing the drums (or in this case, buying less expensive, better quality schtuff. And afford more of it, too.)

I don't know if that came across right, and I've never touched drugs, but it just seems like they want people to believe they're the only game in town when that's simply not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Shep2112
                it just seems like they want people to believe they're the only game in town when that's simply not the case.

deserving or not, they kind of are the only game in town as far as DAW systems go....a lot of it is reputation and the fact that since most pro studios use it, they want the compatibility factor....

I working in a studio now with a PTools control 24, an HD 192 system and a dual processor G4 with DSP cards up the arse and let me tell you, this thing really does rock...then again, there's a lot of heavy duty front end gear available, which makes all the difference in the world....

Is it necessary to put your life in hock for 20 G and a new HD 192 system?? hell no, maybe not even a Digi OO1 for that matter...

But if you are working on some high end projects and you can't afford to be f#####g around, the high end ProTools setup just might pay for itself in no time....

Comment

It's all marketing genius though, when it boils down to it. You can get DSP cards, to give you the horsepower. You can get 192kHz A/D converters, you can run whichever software you choose (Personally I prefer Cakewalk Sonar XL 2, but I'm experimenting with Cubase SX at the moment as well), etc, etc. As far as compatibility is concerned, yeah that's a major thing when other studios are involved.. But if they hadn't been fooled by the marketing genius as well, then maybe there wouldn't be as many magazine articles saying 'but drumming is different in the 'age of protools''.. As if no other software allows you to cut and paste audio..

I've worked on ProTools for several incarnations, including the new HD stuff and I'm not really that impressed.. My school has the largest ProTools installation on the planet (www.fullsail.com) and they're pretty proud of that fact. And their network can run 6 sessions recording 24/96 on I think 24 tracks (if not 24, it's a bigger #) in each location, all to a main storage server nonstop for 24 hours, at which point, the ProTools software stops.. Digidesign themselves didn't realize it would stop recording at 24 hours, cause no one had ever attempted it apparently.. So I'll be getting in really deep with the stuff and paying to get ProTools certified and all that stuff.. But I still think it's the typical case of "it must be good because it costs the most".. and "everyone else has it, so it must be what to buy"..

Ah well, this is far off from the Digi001 conversation I guess, where my point was simply "if you're not sharing with other studios, get the most bang for your buck"..

Comment

Jeeze guys! You've really torn this apart!

I guess thanks for the help

I'm going to post a big post once the studio is done. I'll keep you guys updated

Comment

Oh no....

and the beating comes....

I mean, I'm not disagreeing with you or anything!

That's what I have. I set of V-Pros and a Yamaha stage custom. It's a very nice combination of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Algee
                        That's what I have. I set of V-Pros and a Yamaha stage custom. It's a very nice combination of both worlds.
                        Hey Algee... I see you own V-Pro's too. It's nice to know the board has so many "professional drummers". I guess after they made us, they broke the mold. I mean, what with them discontinuing the V-Pro's and all. Just remember, being a professional has a lot of responsibility attached to it.

Golly! I don't know if I can take the pressure. Up until now, I didn't even know I was a Pro. But to tell you the truth, I suspected something all along. First I noticed those uncontrollable urges to give unsolicited advice over the internet. Sometimes I even find myself scolding people like I'm some kind of hot potato (although I'm normally an easy going non-confrontational all around good guy). Then there's that occasional twitch in my left index and middle finger (traditional grip). I should have realized this sooner. The signs were all there. I guess I was in denial.
                        Kit Pic 1 Kit Pic 2 Kit Pic 3... And FOR SALE I have: 3 PD-9's, MDS-10 purple rack w/cables/pad and cym mounts. See classified posts for details or PM me.

Comment

I mean, honestly. What IS the deal with dicontinuing the V-Pro? It was such a good kit. And to upgrade it to the TDW-1, add a couple more pads, is it really worth it to pay anmore for the V-Concert? I ordered mine from Samash. It was their last one they would ever have in stock. It was actually a display, and it came with the V-Concert stand. I must say, after using both, that I like the Concert stand better. It's much easier to tear down. But my drums for now are set permantly in my, oh do I love to say this, my recording studio...

sigh....

Yeah, I've been disigning my home project studio for a year now, and just a week ago I sent in the order. Over the next week or so I'm going to be building it and learning how the software works. It's all based on the Digi 001 system. I ordered a free video off of Digidesign.com of a promotional demo using the software. It shows two guys produce a whole song in a matter of a couple of hours. It's pretty impressive.

So in a week or so I'm going to post my story. Aight man? Yes, it is a true pain in my mind having to know that there are only a select few who become professional. But let's hope it stays that way. Or else we'll become to nothing....

Gee...that would suck...

Comment

Ahhhhhhh! Now everyone hates us for not being mindless sheep and following what the advertising tells us we need to follow!

If you haven't received the 001, personally I would advise changing the order to something else.. Or there should be a return policy with it and you could swap it for something else.. There's a lot of people at school who are like "I wanna get started with ProTools, should I get the 001?".. Most of the time, the answer coming back is, "If you think it's that important, but you're gonna be trained on it in several months from now, on the versions you'll find in studios. If you'd rather buy something that has better capabilities, and will serve you better, do that instead right now."

Btw, we all get dealer cost on ANYTHING from Digidesign, as much as we want/can afford.. Only catch is, we have to keep it in our posession for a year, so "the dealers have a chance too".. So yes, I can get the 001 for less than anyone else here, but will I? No.

Comment

Yup and do all your gardening with Pro-Mix.. Hell, use it for your live and studio work!

Comment

Working...
                              X