Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Studio setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sook
    replied
    They rock SuperPuss I had another "real" drummer in tonight, he made a kit using the module (none of the VEX Kits this time) I'll zoom you the .syx, actually I can link it here later, it's pretty good I thought. At least to a gat player/trying hard to fail drummer.

Below is a link to a jam he did with it tonight, a complete new band just jamming. Poor guy had to chop his style to fit with the less musical talented, tuff :-) drummers have to fit anywhere. .

http://www.leadguitaranswers.com/ste...lITTLElAMB.mp3

Leave a comment:

• SuperPuss
    replied
    Originally posted by Sook View Post
    I recorded a band today, Just starting out and they needed a demo and studio time just costs to much, this is my 1st proper try, I gave them the masters to mix as they have an engineer in the family plus I've no clue how to do it, the reason I'm linking this 52 meg video because I d/loaded SupperPuss' 6 kits yesterday (!! Thanks SP you rock chick you !!) and I used the Studio 2 kit (put a cow bell onto tom3 rim), it's a sweet sound, saved me untold amounts of work that again I didn't know how to do.
    I recorded them DI to the presonus firestudio

Recorded using Reaper 2.46

Recorded two mic tracks at the same time, one flat, the second off to the right with a slapback echo, VST (after doing the instruments)

Recorded the Video, took it into Vagas Movie studio6 and deleted the camera sound track and bought in the rendered track.

I Spent about 2 mins lining up the video/audio tracks..This vid is our home grown music sound that's fairly generic here (a rammstein-ish feel).
    (raw to say the least)..and the drums sound more than passable I think. About 4 minutes in the drummer really starts winding up the td-12, poor old girl is getting on. So, I hope you enjoy the sound of the drums, we all did.

http://www.leadguitaranswers.com/ste...ngs/rewind.wmv
    Nice work Sook. Glad the kit patches are working for you too

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    PreSonus have done a major driver upgrade.

FireStudio Project/Tube Multi-Unit Driver

http://www.presonus.com/news/press/D...aspx?NewsID=82

Leave a comment:

• badnomad
    replied
    Even though I have a Quad-core processor, and terabytes of space, I'm using a Boss BR-1600. It's similar to the Roland 2400 except for 3 main differences......The Roland boxes come with very little in the way of internal effects and toolboxes, (you have to purchase them as options). The Roland boxes can be interfaced to an external screen, (again, optional for additional cost), The Roland boxes cost 3 to 5 times what the BR-1600 does.....(worth it if you want the best). I can download and edit multitracked recordings from/to my 1600 and my computer, but most of all, there are absolutely zero latency issues with this unit, and it comes with an extensive editing toolbox, and effects selection, all for about twice what Cubase costs, (not even including a firewire interface).....While some 'pros' may scoff at a porta-studio, personally I think that the BR-1600 is the perfect tool for the home studio enthusiast, (or the higher-end Roland Series, but be prepared to pay large for the instrument/effects/toolbox packs, and the video interface), plus it's portable.....you can take it to gigs. Also, the small-screen interface on the BR-1600 is very intuitive, and easy to use, (although it might not seem so at first glance).

Myke C.

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    I recorded a band today, Just starting out and they needed a demo and studio time just costs to much, this is my 1st proper try, I gave them the masters to mix as they have an engineer in the family plus I've no clue how to do it, the reason I'm linking this 52 meg video because I d/loaded SupperPuss' 6 kits yesterday (!! Thanks SP you rock chick you !!) and I used the Studio 2 kit (put a cow bell onto tom3 rim), it's a sweet sound, saved me untold amounts of work that again I didn't know how to do.
    I recorded them DI to the presonus firestudio

Recorded using Reaper 2.46

Recorded two mic tracks at the same time, one flat, the second off to the right with a slapback echo, VST (after doing the instruments)

Recorded the Video, took it into Vagas Movie studio6 and deleted the camera sound track and bought in the rendered track.

I Spent about 2 mins lining up the video/audio tracks..This vid is our home grown music sound that's fairly generic here (a rammstein-ish feel).
    (raw to say the least)..and the drums sound more than passable I think. About 4 minutes in the drummer really starts winding up the td-12, poor old girl is getting on. So, I hope you enjoy the sound of the drums, we all did.

http://www.leadguitaranswers.com/ste...ngs/rewind.wmv

Leave a comment:

• havyck
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
    If you're looking to run ProTools on Windows, there's a ton of very useful information on recommended setups HERE. You need either Digidesign hardware or authorised M Audio hardware to run ProTools. It will also run on Mac and many in the industry have Mac based rigs.
    Cheers about the gear too
    I knew I loved apple for a reason. I see I can just get a mac pro and run pro tools on that. I was planning on getting a mac pro anyway. Awesome. I forsee a day when I no longer have a windows machine, just windows running on vmware. LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    Thanks very much mate, had the band over tonight and it's going to take a while to set them up again, the general consensus was "sounds like hitting rubbish can lids" , the 6 is so plug and play and sounds so good off the shelf to record compared to the tailoring of a 12, but the 12 comes alive when setup correctly and the vex kits loaded.
    The guy selling said yesterday he used the hard plastic and tore the mesh in a night so I put the felt ones on, I can't remember now which was what.

Leave a comment:

• sopranos
    replied
    Nice kit, indeed! I'm sure it feels good to be back with a TD-12.

On a side note, are you sure you didn't wear the kick drum through as I noticed you are not using one, but two FELT beaters? You may consider changing those out to a plastic or rubber beater to minimize further damage.

Again, awesome set-up!

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    These electronic drum kits are the beesknees, As I said I sold my TD-12 to get money to buy other musical toys, I bought a TD-6 as well, it took a while to come to terms with it and I did, they are a great kit and better in one way with the sounds than the 12. The bongo's are very real sounding.
    Anyway a TD-12 popped up on the auction site, I threw up my phone number and got a call, I rushed as one would, it was about 4 years old and the kick drum was worn through with the foam underneath destroyed, I want to stretch this story out and revel in it .
    I offered 3500, he said 3700, I said "with the speakers" he said "yes" so a TD-12 again and wooo it's incredible to play one again. Ive had 2 hours sleep in the last 24, cleaning, stripping, polishing sorting and playing.
    I took the kick apart and cut off the thin layer of foam and hot-glued a bit on (the same viscosity). Ive learnt my lesson, never sell a td12, it's not worth the stress and loss.
    I'll get a new mesh in a while but for now I rotated the old one 45%, works fine. The speakers are powered 300 Watt Behringer B300, they sound good, I looked up a review on them before going over and they seemed to be ok.
    We are 58cents in the U.S dollar atm so there must be some great buys going now in the states. I've put a few pics up in my sig link
    sry for the me me me rant, it comes from no friends, a country with 8 ppl in it and an internet connection
    If more 12's come up cheap I'll let the forum know.

edit, forgot to mention it came with that Throne, (not comphy at al) and the Pearl twin kick pedals and drum sticks with rubber up the middle ?, must be some sort of cushioning
    Last edited by Sook; 11-24-08, 11:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SuperPuss
    replied
    Originally posted by havyck View Post
    That's some kickin' gear. What do you need to run pro tools? Just a windows pc?
    If you're looking to run ProTools on Windows, there's a ton of very useful information on recommended setups HERE. You need either Digidesign hardware or authorised M Audio hardware to run ProTools. It will also run on Mac and many in the industry have Mac based rigs.
    Cheers about the gear too

Leave a comment:

• havyck
    replied
    Originally posted by SuperPuss View Post
    Not sure what happened there with our emails. Something odd. Seems our servers didn't want to talk to each other!!
    I was away most of the last week recording a new song with my new songwriting parter and also recorded half of an entire album in one afternoon with another new colleague too so it was a very productive but very busy week. I have only just got back in the last couple of days and just read your post. Bummer about the Onyx but great to hear you found a decent solution.

Since you asked, here's my current recording gear and instrument list...

Computers and software

Intel quad core 2.66GHz Q9450 PC with 4GB RAM and 1.2TB HDD's running Protools 7.4 Music Production Toolkit with Waves Mercury, Superior 2 (with Twisted Kit expansion), Reason 4 (with Reason Pianos and Abbey Road Keyboards), Moog Modular V, ARP2600V, CS80V, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX, Melodyne Studio.
    Interface - Digidesign Digi002r (Protools) or Mackie Onyx 1620 (Reaper). This PC dual boots depending what I want to use.
    Controllers - CM Labs MotorMate and MotorMix linked to CM Labs Sixty Four programmable router (does all my studio patching and level matching).

Asus laptop with Intel 2.53GHz dual core CPU and 4GB RAM running the above software.
    Interfaces - Digidesign Mbox 2 Pro (firewire) or Mackie Onyx 1620, Motu Midi Timepiece AV (8 in 8 out midi and sync box)
    I have this arranged to triple boot with WinXP Pro for Protools and Vista Premium on two other partitions for either internet (when I'm away from the studio) or live location recording with the Mackie Onyx (used with Reaper).

AMD 3200+ single core CPU PC for internet, video editing / compression, CD / DVD burning and various other general duties.

My two desktop PC's are arranged with three 19" widescreen monitors with the middle one (and keyboard and mouse) switched between the two computers.

Instruments
    Yamaha DX7 and SY77 synths
    Yamaha TX802 rack mount FM synth module
    Roland System 100, SH09, Juno 6, Juno 106, JX 3P (with PG200)
    Roland System 700 analog sequencer
    Customised Strat copy guitar
    Ibanez SR400 Bass
    Yamaha professional series trumpet
    ...and of course, the SuperPuss SuperGAS cage with everything listed and documented in detail on this site

Microphones
    Various dynamic and wireless microphones and headsets
    Rode NT2a 1" large diaphragm studio condenser mics x 2
    AKG C451 small diaphragm condenser mics x 2
    AKG C414 EB 1" large diaphragm studio condenser mic (with highly sought after CK12 capsule) - I LOVE this mic and will NEVER sell it for any sum of money (hmmm... well almost any sum!!!)

Other gear
    TC Electronic D Two digital delay and modulation
    Lexicon PCM 41 digital delay
    Frostwave Quad Midi-CV Plus
    Zoom 9150 Valve DSP guitar preamp and FX processor
    Behringer 8024 Ultracurve Pro 31 band digital EQ
    7.2 channel bi-amped custom studio monitoring recently upgraded with new Yamaha processor / amp, custom mid / high boxes for L and R, Tannoy center, dual Crown double 10" subs, Auratone surrounds x 4
    Yamaha 5.1 amp and custom sub amp for zone 2 (alternate recording room)
    AKG K240M headphones
    Various other pairs of cheaper headphones for live tracking with multiple musicians
    ART 406 six channel headphone amp
    Optoma high definition projector with 92" screen
    Pioneer SACD / DVD Audio and DVD Video player (upscales to high def through HDMI and has 192K / 24 bit 5.1 D/A on board for SACD)
    High def set top box / recorder (yes, I watch TV in my studio sometimes!)
    Sony DV editing deck
    Panasonic CRT video editing monitor
    Panasonic FS90 S-VHS deck which is mainly used for the large catalogue of location audio recordings I have in my library (recorded well before the days of decent laptops!).....

....I think that is everything! Sorry about the long ass post but I started listing the basics and felt like I was being unfair to my gear leaving anything out!!!..... seriously, this stuff has a life of it's own and if I left something out, it would hunt me down in the night as I lay sleeping!!!!!
    That's some kickin' gear. What do you need to run pro tools? Just a windows pc?

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    Thanks, I don't know what it is or means but leftys playing any instrument seem better moso's, a bit random I know

Leave a comment:

• i-drum
    replied
    i enjoyed that very much.thanks. love pink floyd and the sunburst strat. i have the lefty version.

Leave a comment:

• Sook
    replied
    This is going to be embarrassing (to say the least). I've settled in with the TD-6 now and for us we don't really need anything more, I bought a new digi cam last week, a fujifilm S2000HD ( sry about the geeky talk) and thought I'd try and do a movie of us "having a go" it does a 15mins HD movie and I caught this..now if your really bored you can download it I re-compressed it in movie studio and it's 240 meg. ..it's our new 4 piece doing time-breath, a lot went wrong and it was our first attempt at running breath at the end, the eeekhem drummer (head hung low) lost his way lol..the lead gat player forgot what he was doing for a while and the bass player has never played an instrument and we got him 2 weeks ago..I do like the GR-20 for the strings, it's hooked up to the 12 string ovation..oh yeh and the singer has a cold, well that clears all the disclaimers, we don't care we have fun first, it's taken strait off the computer through the presonus 1010 with no mixdown, the effects are real time using Reaper 2.46. If we ever play live I should be able to have this sound live using a laptop.
    A word on Reaper, this program has not let me down..real time effects are brilliant.

http://www.leadguitaranswers.com/ste...ime_Breath.wmv

Paragraphs are over rated

Leave a comment:

• Vdrum_Noob
    replied
    It comes from years of scouring used boards and locating hardware.

hell, collectively , all of us on here have enough gear to do some really fantastic projects.

however, even with all the gear sometimes I stip it down and run 8 channels with guitar tracks pro!

That is a mighty fine case of GAS you have there my friend!! [/QUOTE]

Leave a comment:

Working...
X