Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roland TD-9 & Sonar 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roland TD-9 & Sonar 7

Can anyone help me setup Sonar 7 (Cakewalk) to allow me to use it to record me playing on my TD-9?

I dunno where to start even after reading the help
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Something i should add is that i got the Yamaha UX16 Midi leads. Not sure if they are the right thing?
    Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Right, i phoned a phone shops, Digital Village in Clapham (UK) seemed to know what they were talking about and recommended this http://www.dv247.com/invt/25936/ which i have arriving on Friday.

Hopefully i have done the right thing
      Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

That's a nice interface. Midi IN/OUT with a inputs and outputs of different types

I am sorry I missed this thread as I would asked what you wanted out of Sonar and the V-Drums setup. But I will ask it anway...

What is your planned recording method? direct recording from the brain or midi sending to a drum application like ezdrummer/superior/battery? Are these to go onto drummerless tracks or as part of a bigger recording picture (eg.. you can play guitar and so on).

What are you goals?
        TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

Well to be honest at the moment i just want to be able to record what im playing to allow me to share with friends, family and more importantly my tutor.

I also wanted something that would give me more options in the future as well in terms of functionality. My son has just started Guitar lesson so I am sure we can use it to record the both of us.

At the moment though, to answer your questions, my goals are just to be able to record what i play. Nothing more
          Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

That is probably a bit overkill for what you need. You could just run a lead into the line-in on your PC sound card (as long as you have an average quality sound card with ASIO support). But... there is always value in buying a half decent unit. Saves you repeating yourself. I have found that home recording is murderously addictive, especially with other musicians around. It starts with just a few "what am I doing today" and then suddenly you find yourself swarmed in .VSTs and effects and recording 30 tracks for that one perfect take
            TD9KX w/KD-120 kick, VH-11 HH, PD-125 snare, CY-8 crash, Gibralter double pedal :cool:

Comment

Unfortunately I have more money than sense. This is not a good trait
              Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Shorty, would you maybe be able to let me know how i get the device to work with my drums and Sonar in advance of me getting it tomorrow?

Lee
                Lee "Shaggy" Shand

Comment

Basically you have to load the software for your audio/midi interface. Then in Sonar, you have to go to Track Properties for an audio track and select for its Input the audio interface; it will show up in a drop down list. If it has more than one input, you have to select the input number from the drop down list.

Basically you are telling the audio track what it's source is.

To hear it play back, you can select something like "master" for the output.

Unless you are tiggering some sounds using midi output from your kit, you will be recording the audio output of your module. So you have to run an out from the module into the audio interface. For example, you could run the master mono out to one input on the interface, say input number one. Then in Sonar, you would go to track properties for an audio track and select input one of your interface as the input fro the audio track. Arm the track by clicking the red record button (at least in Sonar 6) and then click the record button at the top of the screen.

Hope that helps,
                  Rene
                  . . . . . . . . . .

"Make me an instrument of your peace..."

Comment

Hello,
                    I have Sonar 5,( updating to 8 soon), my question is what is better for recording V-Drums, Fire Wire, USB, or Midi. I know there alot of Latency issues with USB.

Comment

Working...
                    X