Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m-audio 16 channel recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• m-audio 16 channel recording

I'm buying a m-audio 10/10 the pci card version not the rack mount, I'm thinking of getting two while my mate is in the U.S., anyway I heard that you can run two for 16 real time channels into the computer, I own Adobe Audition2 does anyone know if it works with these cards for 16 channels.
    I think my music computer will handle data throughput, the TD-12 only has two main outputs but I see another two as well. I'm also thinking of stripping the module to see if it can be wired for each drum as a separate "out" I may blow it up
    Nothing of importance here

The 1010LT is a nice card with plenty of ins and outs however I always wondered why they didnt just make a breakout box for it...

anyways, I am not sure but I think if your computer is fast enough you should not have any problem running two cards with Audition 2.

These cards are nice if you want to feed many tracks out and separate each track to it's own audio line out on the card.
    Your drum module only has 4 mono outputs so you cant feed all 8 inputs at one time using one module.
    Dave
    Sonic Orb Studios
    My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
    Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Originally posted by weldman View Post
      The 1010LT is a nice card with plenty of ins and outs however I always wondered why they didnt just make a breakout box for it...

These cards are nice if you want to feed many tracks out and separate each track to it's own audio line out on the card.
      Your drum module only has 4 mono outputs so you cant feed all 8 inputs at one time using one module.
      Well they do make a breakout box.....it's called the Delta 1010 (not light). That is why you pay more for it, rack mountable with balanced inputs. The light is a great card if you don't need the benefits of the full model.

Does your PC have 2 free PCI slots?

J
      Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
      Module - Roland TD20X
      Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

I recommend spending the extra $s for the full 10/10 - the item that you call a breakout box (patch panel with A/D convertors and SPD/IF) is a great piece of kit.

I'm pretty sure that ProTools can only use 1 x 10/10 so I'd be surprised if another s/w package could address 2 cards. Another option is to use 1 firewire patch panel and the 10/10 (or 10/10LT) - 16 inputs are achievable in that manner.

Comment

From M-Audio's site about the 1010:

"Combine up to four Deltas* in your system for a maximum of 32 analog and four stereo S/PDIF inputs and outputs.

* It is not possible to used multiple (linked) audio cards with Pro Tools M-Powered"

I would assume that means that other DAWs would see multiple units.

J
          Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
          Module - Roland TD20X
          Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Digidesign do that to protect their HD systems. Their reasoning is that if they allowed multiple hardware instances in their LE range, they'd lose sales on HD rigs which is true to a certain extent.
            Of course, there's a whole lot more to HD rigs than multiple i/o interfaces and those who work professionally realise the value in going full HD.

For those who don't need (or maybe don't want) to use Protools, there's a multitude of other options.

Comment

I purchased a 18 channel fire wire mixer board Phonic Helix 24 for $600 new, works great. I can record simultaneously with my old 1.8 GHz 512 Mb computer, very happy.

Comment

Thanks people, so judging from superpuss the LT range won't do 2 cards in one PC, (well the computer will see them both but not the software I presume) so I put another PC in the room and it'll work, that's not hard to do. After it's all recorded I make a new multisession with 16 channels and import the other 8 wave files with a little bit of a track line up it should work I suppose then do the mixdown. Thanks Hercules but they cost to much and PC's are pretty much laying around everywhere here.
                I'm still perplexed on all the outputs, why bother I wonder, unless they are used to line into a master recording mixer in another studio maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sook View Post
                  Thanks people, so judging from superpuss the LT range won't do 2 cards in one PC, (well the computer will see them both but not the software I presume)
                  Multiple cards may work with other software, just not Protools.
                  so I put another PC in the room and it'll work, that's not hard to do. After it's all recorded I make a new multisession with 16 channels and import the other 8 wave files with a little bit of a track line up it should work I suppose then do the mixdown. Thanks Hercules but they cost to much and PC's are pretty much laying around everywhere here.
                  If you go that way, you can midi the two systems together for sync to keep them in time. I'm not sure off the top of my head if the 10/10 has S/PDif i/o but if so, you can slave one system to the other that way as well as midi to keep the audio in phase between the two systems.
                  I'm still perplexed on all the outputs, why bother I wonder, unless they are used to line into a master recording mixer in another studio maybe.
                  Multiple outputs can be very useful in some cases. I use six outputs from my 002r for surround mixes and I use some of the other outputs for headphone mixes, sends to effects units, synths and also as sends to trigger inputs on my TD20 for drum replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by piezohead View Post
                    I purchased a 18 channel fire wire mixer board Phonic Helix 24 for $600 new, works great. I can record simultaneously with my old 1.8 GHz 512 Mb computer, very happy.
                    I should have stated I can record 18 simultaneous channels, no need to have two cards or two pc and worry about sync the two.

Comment

Piezohead I did a search on the unit, how great is that unit eh but out of the 7ish reviews 4 guys had a few small problems http://www.zzounds.com/item--PHOHELIX18FW, I would have grabbed it but im 10.000km away from the shop incase it does go wrong but it's all you'd need eh. Superpuss, I understand almost 1/2 of what you say, your way to savvy on this stuff, my head hurts
                      Midi sync the two computers = a lot of research, thanks for that but if it means not having to line up the 8 tracks it's worth a go. Midi eerks me, it's easy to do the vex kit up/download with but anymore than that is scary.

Comment

Originally posted by Sook View Post
                        Piezohead I did a search on the unit, how great is that unit eh but out of the 7ish reviews 4 guys had a few small problems http://www.zzounds.com/item--PHOHELIX18FW, I would have grabbed it but im 10.000km away from the shop incase it does go wrong but it's all you'd need eh. Superpuss, I understand almost 1/2 of what you say, your way to savvy on this stuff, my head hurts
                        Midi sync the two computers = a lot of research, thanks for that but if it means not having to line up the 8 tracks it's worth a go. Midi eerks me, it's easy to do the vex kit up/download with but anymore than that is scary.
                        Another much simpler option if your budget stretches that far is a Mackie Onyx desk with the firewire card. I have one of those and use it for live location recording of bands and it works really well. I can record 18 simultaneous tracks at up to 96K / 24 bit using reaper. No need for lining up tracks later because they are all recorded on the same PC.
                        When I get back to the studio, I simply import the tracks into Protools for mixing.
                        It is a more expensive option but it produces great results and you get a mixing desk as well

Comment

Thanks SuperPuss, is this the one you have ? http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxfirewire/ I see there are a few different models but only one firewire, My mate leaves in 5 days so I want to do the best thing. I really only want to use it for home recordings and maybe help out the odd poor hard doneby uni bands for broadcast quality demos.

24-bit/96kHz FireWire Option Card for Onyx Small-Format Mixers,
                          Do you remember ruffly what it cost you and did you buy it in Aus or overseas, so far I'm having a bit of trouble locating a place to buy. Sorry to be a pain but the firewire card, did it come with the unit or is it an addon to the features of the mixer...thanks SuperPuss.
                          Last edited by Sook; 08-02-08, 06:35 PM.

Comment

That's the one I have. My mixer is an Onyx 1620 and I got it with the firewire card.
                            I paid for both with my time by redesigning the website for the company I bought it from.

If you want, I can get you a really good price (staff discount) on one locally (I'm in Geelong). Where are you located?

Comment

Hi SuperPuss, mate that's very generous of you and if it works out plz add something for yourself, I'm in Christchurch NZ, I see your just across the ditch above Tassy. My budget is around 700, our other guitarist is loaded so if it's to much I'll have to convince him. I far prefer your system than the pci m-audio card. So yes please can you get me a price, you can reach me at [email protected], you do websites as well eh, sheese. We maybe able to do something there as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X