Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TD-9s and Click Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD-9s and Click Tracks

Hey gang,

Sorry if this has been discussed but I am no search tool master.

I decided this evening to just play around with recording from my TD-9 brain to my iMac using nothing more than a simple y-lead and audacity. However I was surprised to hear that it was sending the click from the metronome out of more than just the phones jack.

Is there any way to turn this off so that I can record with the click track through the headphones but not through the stereo outs?

Thanks for your time.

No, sorry; it's not possible to have click on phones but not stereo outputs on a TD-9 (it's like a TD-6 in this respect).

Bruce

Comment

most of the rolands do this and its annoying.
      I dont know why they only send the click to the headphoneport but it does go to the main outs and will be recorded.

Set a click track in audacity and play to that as you record. An audio interface will keep latency down so you can sync to the click.

I used to run a TD10 module and in that you could patch the click to a few different outputs which was awesome.
      Dave
      Sonic Orb Studios
      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Okay thanks for the help. If I run into audio lag problems I will just dust off my old metronome haha

Comment

I record via MIDI with Sonar 7 Producer, and have learned the hard way that recording from the module is probably the worst thing you could do for entire bands and such. My reason for this is because when the guitars/bass go to record, they have no starting point on when to come in. The entire song might be in perfect time but that initial starting point is such a pain!

So always record with a metronome in your software especially for technical parts it's a godsend, like my band has crazy tempo changes and time signature changes that I can slow it down directly in Sonar at certain times/measures however I want to and it still shows which hit of which measure starts when so it's much easier in the editing/mixing phase of things too.
          Check out my NEW eBay Store: V-Drum Emporium!

Comment

Would another option be to quick record the track while playing with the metronome, then use quick play and get the stereo out captured that way? When you play back it defo doesn't have hte metronome, so could be an easy way around

Comment

In sonar record your click first to an audio track.
              Then create a new midi and audio track.
              "you will be playing to your recorded click"
              Record both at the same time when your ready.
              If you like what you did " el-natural" Keep it.
              But if you don't, you can edit the midi to your liking.
              Play it back through the TD-9 and record that.

In sonar you can tell the program to start with clicks in beats
              or measures in numbers.
              I just input midi notes 4 or 8 clicks before what would be considered 00:00:00 in my case 00:00:00 would really be 00:01:00. your guys should not have a problem tracking with you then.
              Hope this helps you.

Comment

Originally posted by RyMar View Post
                Would another option be to quick record the track while playing with the metronome, then use quick play and get the stereo out captured that way? When you play back it defo doesn't have hte metronome, so could be an easy way around
                Brilliant! Have to remember that little trick when I finally get my TD-9SX...
                "...regardless of what you play, the biggest thing is keeping the feel going ..." - Wes Montgomery

Comment

Working...
                X