Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Editing/correcting drum tracks for recording projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Editing/correcting drum tracks for recording projects

Read the manual and purchased the TD-20 Tutorial video by ProAudio.

Want to create complete drum tracks with my TD-20 Kit for recording projects and be able to drop finished drum tracks onto recording projects as a foundation for the tune.

It seems the internal system of creating phrases and appending them is possible but limited. When you create a one bar phrase for instance, once a mistake is made on any part of your kit there is no way of correcting that particular part, for instance a hi-hat figure of the one bar phrase, you have to start over and try again.

I know you can quantize and fix some things that way, but you can't fix individual pad hits alone and leave everything else as played.

I'm shooting for a compromise between natural feel without quantizing and the ability to correct major bloopers in a phrase or part. Maybe quantize sometimes.

I guess you must have a separate midi program that is extremely editable and do it that way.

Am I missing something here? I guess Roland figured they did not need to include a comprehensize editing program because it is available elsewhere.

Also any tips for getting good swing/shuffle feels? I can certainly play them well, but any other technical tips that are relevant for the machine for advance players?

A program like Cubase has excellent MIDI editing capabilities and I would recommend it for what you are doing. The TD-20 can't be a full fledged sequencer as well as everything else, so Roland gives you the basics. They also assume you can play well enough to do a 1 bar groove. (Big assumption on my part!)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jriolo View Post
      Read the manual and purchased the TD-20 Tutorial video by ProAudio.

Want to create complete drum tracks with my TD-20 Kit for recording projects and be able to drop finished drum tracks onto recording projects as a foundation for the tune.

It seems the internal system of creating phrases and appending them is possible but limited. When you create a one bar phrase for instance, once a mistake is made on any part of your kit there is no way of correcting that particular part, for instance a hi-hat figure of the one bar phrase, you have to start over and try again.

I know you can quantize and fix some things that way, but you can't fix individual pad hits alone and leave everything else as played.

I'm shooting for a compromise between natural feel without quantizing and the ability to correct major bloopers in a phrase or part. Maybe quantize sometimes.

I guess you must have a separate midi program that is extremely editable and do it that way.

Am I missing something here? I guess Roland figured they did not need to include a comprehensize editing program because it is available elsewhere.

Also any tips for getting good swing/shuffle feels? I can certainly play them well, but any other technical tips that are relevant for the machine for advance players?
      I use Ableton Live and I edit individual notes (volume, placement, etc). It has some very nice quantization facilities also.

~telengard

Comment

Hey Guys.
        I use pro tools and record midi triggering BFD2. In the software of pro tools and using midi, quantizing, replacing, adding, removing and moving is as easy as click and dragging. Any of these types of software is where the editing really can take place easily if recording using midi.

Comment

Working...
        X