Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

amp/monitor setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• amp/monitor setup

I'm clearing out an entire room to transform it into my "Music Room" .
    So I will be setting up my TD-9KX with drum amp, an X-stand with two keyboards, an acoustic and electric guitar and a desk with a PC, a mixer, monitor speakers and all the other neccessary (electric) junk to connect it.

So I was figuring out what to place where to get the best sound playing all the instruments. Preferably listening to full stereo, you should hear the sound coming at equal level from the front left and right when you're sitting behind your PC AND behind the TD-9 AND also behind the keyboards. But that seems impossible to setup.

So how do you guys and gals do this? Just use a big mono amp and turn it on loud enough so you can hear it anywhere? Or try to carefully balance the sound so that it reaches you just right? Or play with headphones on playing the instruments and only listen to a good monitor setup when making a final mix?
    Last edited by eric_B; 07-19-08, 09:21 AM.

I run 2 JBL EON 1500's on speaker stands behind the drum kit and high enough that myself and the drums do not block the sound. It works pritty good. Hight is the key.
    TD-6v, (3x)CY-8, (4x)PD-8's (2x)PD-6's (1x)PD-80R (1)KD-8 http://www.cstoliker.com/Drums/

Comment

Personally, I would get 1 set of really nice studio monitors to mix with, and then use some decent headphones for drums and keys. If you do want some speakers on the drums buy a cheaper set of monitors and a sub and have the speakers facing you when you are on the drums. Set your keys up right behind the drums where you can just spin around and play. Have a small mixer to control the volume of those monitors and then you can easily switch the panning when you go from the e-drums to the keys. Of course the speakers would be behind you when on the keys.

J
      Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
      Module - Roland TD20X
      Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

One issue is that I'm limited by the room's dimensions and also the fact that the room has a lot of windows and few walls. I've added some pictures of my unfinished setup and the CVP-303 in living room.

BTW: today I'm trying the KRK RP8 G2's
        Attached Files

Comment

I think that your setup looks pretty good. You've got the studio monitors for mixing, the Roland amp for the drums (maybe a second one for stereo?), and the monitors on the Yamaha. Only thing missing its own set of speakers are the keyboards in your music room. If you get some new monitors, just move the ones you have to the keys.

J
          Edrums- KD-120, PD-125 (3), PD-105 (3), Yamaha PCY155, PCY-135 (4)
          Module - Roland TD20X
          Software - Pro Tools and Toontrack Superior

Comment

Working...
          X