Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Play EZDrummer through module?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play EZDrummer through module?

Originally posted by delude - SOLVED
    Hey there.

I bought my Alesis DM5 kit last year, and have only really since then been playing with the sounds on the module. I finally bought a USB to MIDI cable the other day, and have set up EZDrummer on my PC, as I am really keen to get into studio style recording.

Anyway, I was wondering if there is a way to play the EZDrummer sounds back through my module so I can use the headphones plugged into the jack. At the minute I have to keep unplugging my speakers from my Toneport UX2 and sticking the headphones in there, which gets rather annoying. If I could do something to allow the samples to play through my module then I guess I could also hook my module up to its own monitors or something to get a nicer sound from the right area (around the drum kit rather than my desk).

Thanks very much in advance

Thanks guys, the above is solved, but I am still having trouble with what is below. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

EDIT:

I have another question if you don't mind. I want to change the cymbals that my pads trigger, so have looked at the MIDI layout picture that comes with EZDrummer. I can change the MIDI notes for each trigger on my Alesis DM5, but as soon as i git the pad after changing it it just reverts back to what it was. I have tried storing the kit etc but it still changes.

This is weird because earlier I somehow managed to change my crash cymbal to a muted crash earlier but cannot do the same now. Any advice?
    Last edited by delude; 06-24-08, 04:41 AM.

Does the DMPro have a Audio IN? Go Audio out from your Soundcard to the Module.
    That could either work or create a killer LOOP of feedback.
    If you havent thought about it look into a Mixer Purchase or a HeadPhone Amp.

Comment

Umm, it's an Alesis DM5 module, and no it doesn't have an audio in. I guess sending a cable from the Audio Out of my Toneport to a Y splitter which goes in the headphone jack of the DM5 would work, but will be yet more 'cabley' mess everywhere

I really wouldn't have a clue where to start with mixers, and what I'd actually need one for, so to be honest have kept away from them.

Thanks for the reply!

EDIT:

I have another question if you don't mind. I want to change the cymbals that my pads trigger, so have looked at the MIDI layout picture that comes with EZDrummer. I can change the MIDI notes for each trigger on my Alesis DM5, but as soon as i git the pad after changing it it just reverts back to what it was. I have tried storing the kit etc but it still changes.

This is weird because earlier I somehow managed to change my crash cymbal to a muted crash earlier but cannot do the same now. Any advice?
      Last edited by delude; 06-23-08, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Not sure if this will solve your problem as I am experimenting with this. Do a search for eDrum MIDI mapper and see if that doesn't work for you. Here is some discussion: http://vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39123. This may lock down the MIDI notes being sent and I would suppose once you change the samples (cymbal or drum options) you select in EZD you should be in business. You might want to check the site to see if it is compatible with a DM5.

EDIT: This doesn't solve trying to get those samples into your module, this enables better mapping of your module (as a triggering device) to trigger the EZD samples on your computer. It is an intuitive piece of software that even someone like me has made useful in my setup.
        Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute | Zildjian Ks

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have sorted out the EZDrummer sound issue, and have just hooked my headphones up differently. However, I still get an odd problem with changing the MIDI notes on the DM5. It has worked twice now, but after I had finished that session, turned the drum module off and had played again later, it would not work. After changing the MIDI note by using the scroll wheel, and triggering the pad, the note just reverts to what it was originally.

tripp, thanks for the links and suggestions, I'll check them out later when I am back home from school.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
          X