Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording with TD-20 help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording with TD-20 help!

I just purchased a TD-20 set and wanted to start recording with it. I have close to no recording equipment. I purchased Acoustica's Mixcraft 4 multitrack software and have Guitarport (with gearbox software).

It has done a pretty good job with just a 1/4 cable going from Master OUT (mono) to my guitarport's input and the setting in Gearbox is bypass everything.

My question is, everything is final when I record...I can't adjust individual levels (obviously) and I want to be able to adjust kick and snare etc in the mix...

What would I have to do to do this? would I do it through MIDI? or do I have to get a 8 channel patch cable to then run to the PC? and then what would I connect them to?

The reason I want to be able to adjust this is because the kick is pretty quiet...and I want to be able to hear the kick pedal decently loud thru the sub.

I am using the "METAL" kit.

Thanks for any help!!

Recording MIDI is one way. You could then adjust the volumes on the TD-20 till you get it right and then record it.

You could get a multiple input sound interface and record each track separately. I use a MOTU 929MkII for that. It is expensive.

And one final trick I used an a CD. Record to MIDI, then split the MIDI track up into separate tracks. Cubase will do this for you. Then mute all tracks except kick. Play back the kick track to the TD-20 while recording. Mute the kick, unmute the snare and record just snare on another audio track. Repeat untill you have all the parts you want on spearate tracks. Now you can mix. This solution is very time consuming.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
      Recording MIDI is one way. You could then adjust the volumes on the TD-20 till you get it right and then record it.

You could get a multiple input sound interface and record each track separately. I use a MOTU 929MkII for that. It is expensive.

And one final trick I used an a CD. Record to MIDI, then split the MIDI track up into separate tracks. Cubase will do this for you. Then mute all tracks except kick. Play back the kick track to the TD-20 while recording. Mute the kick, unmute the snare and record just snare on another audio track. Repeat untill you have all the parts you want on spearate tracks. Now you can mix. This solution is very time consuming.
      Thanks for the quick response! Okay so I am new to this MIDI thing as well..does MIDI just basically record the hits and then I can play those "hits" through the TD-20 to achieve what is then perceived as a complete drum track? Meaning...I record the song on drums until it's perfect, then I can go back and "play back" the drum hits recorded and adjust the sounds on my TD-20, change the kit, etc?

If that's the case, then that would probably be the best/cheapest way to go. there are no interfaces with atleast 8 inputs under $300?? I don't need anything with 20 inputs.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by mattmintun View Post
        Thanks for the quick response! Okay so I am new to this MIDI thing as well..does MIDI just basically record the hits and then I can play those "hits" through the TD-20 to achieve what is then perceived as a complete drum track? Meaning...I record the song on drums until it's perfect, then I can go back and "play back" the drum hits recorded and adjust the sounds on my TD-20, change the kit, etc?

If that's the case, then that would probably be the best/cheapest way to go. there are no interfaces with atleast 8 inputs under $300?? I don't need anything with 20 inputs.

Thanks!
        You pretty much got it. In fact, you can go back a twek the MIDI file, move notes that weren't on time, increase or decrease volume, add a snare note you missed - all sorts of things. Then simply play it back through the TD-20.

Caveat: The TD-20 sends MIDI signals called CC or control change values. This is how it records psotitional sensing and variable hi-hats. Make sure that whatever you are using to record the MIDI can also record those CC messages.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Render View Post
          You pretty much got it. In fact, you can go back a twek the MIDI file, move notes that weren't on time, increase or decrease volume, add a snare note you missed - all sorts of things. Then simply play it back through the TD-20.

Caveat: The TD-20 sends MIDI signals called CC or control change values. This is how it records psotitional sensing and variable hi-hats. Make sure that whatever you are using to record the MIDI can also record those CC messages.
          Okay I will keep that in mind. What is a good USB MIDI interface that I should look into? I know that the new Mixcraft software has MIDI capabilities, but I am unsure if it can sense CC messages. I will look into that!

Thank you so much for these answers.

Comment

IMO, MIDI is the best way to record e-drums.
            You can record your track(s) and then adjust levels as needed. You can also EQ the snare and other drums as needed.

Once you record audio and send it into a mixed state to the PC you are stuck with that final mix.

the Guitarport is nice for guitar and gearbox is....ok...
            but I would suggest getting a MIDI interface. I use the E-MU 1x1 and am happy with it.

MIDI is just data telling the sequencer (computer program) how hard you hit, when you hit, and what you hit.You record all this data and then in the end, send it though your Roland module which plays the module for you. Then you can send the outputs of the module to an audio interface and record it as audio. This means you need an MIDI and Audio interface though.

You can also trigger a software drum set such as EZDrummer or if you have Sonar producer, Session Drummer 2 which will also setup so you can convert from MIDI to audio on the spot.

Read up on Tweak's Guide linked in my sig. IT goes over everything from recording to MIDI.
            Last edited by weldman; 06-18-08, 03:03 PM.
            Dave
            Sonic Orb Studios
            My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
            Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

^^ Thank you for the great information! I will pick up a MIDI interface soon and read up about audio interfaces and that link. Do they make MIDI and Audio Interfaces in one?

Comment

Originally posted by mattmintun View Post
                Do they make MIDI and Audio Interfaces in one?
                Most decent audio interfaces also have MIDI.
                sigpic

Comment

yes such as the e-mu 0404
                  or most of the PreSonus gear as well.
                  Dave
                  Sonic Orb Studios
                  My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                  Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

wow! I just looked up the E-MU 0404 and it's only $100. That seems like the way to go.

So this card has everything I would need to record MIDI, then send it back to the TD20 to record actual sounds? Looks like it is packaged with a bunch of software as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X