Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computer not recognizing my Roland TD-3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer not recognizing my Roland TD-3

I found a thread at this site, but unfortunately no one posted a solution (if there is any).

I bought this really cheap MIDI-interface to hook up my TD-3 to my computer. I plug it in, but the computer does not recognize my kit.

Windows installed some generic driver when I plugged it in, and now says that the device is working properly. When I go into Fruity Loops and check my MIDI settings, there's a big depressing nothingness in the inputs-list though.

The other thread said that it might be the MIDI-interface. That it's just not good enough to work with Roland kits, but it never got confirmed.

The one of these:
    http://global.ebay.com/gbh/viItem?ItemId=250257647526

Have anybody dealt with this problem?

No guarantees because I've never heard of that interface cable, but try this driver:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Thats what is widely used and it works for me with Fruity Loops and an M-Audio UNO on my TD-3 kit.
    Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

That is cheap! Could be a driver issue, sometimes a devise just might not work and windows will still say it is installed correctly. I fried a modem in a storm and tried everything, all the time windows telling me its installed and working, very frustrating. Just an idea...
      My Kit
      http://www.vdrums.com/forum/attachme...2&d=1257067362

Comment

Originally posted by Sabre View Post
        No guarantees because I've never heard of that interface cable, but try this driver:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Thats what is widely used and it works for me with Fruity Loops and an M-Audio UNO on my TD-3 kit.
        how do I install it? I just installed the program, but still with the windows generic driver installed and it did nothing.

And at MCM. Yeah that's a possibility. Is there any way to check if the cable is working? I the usb-light is on, and the MIDI-light is blinking. The record one is always off. But I don't have any instructions of any kind (cheap!) so I don't know if that's normal
        Last edited by danulf; 06-14-08, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Oh I get it now. The interface cable should just show up as a sound interface in the list with sound cards and stuff.

So then it's the cable I suppose!

I actually thought about getting an M-Audio UNO in the first place, but then I found the really cheap one... Lesson learned

Thanks for the help guys!

Does anyone have any experience with an EMU - xMidi 1x1 cable?
          http://www.emu.com/products/product....&product=15188

I live in Sweden and this is the cheapest I can find that seems somewhat well made At least it has a name!
          Last edited by danulf; 06-15-08, 02:33 AM.

Comment

yes I have that 1x1 and love it, works with Vista and XP
            I just did a review on the UG site:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum...5&postcount=36

I thought Asio was an audio driver...but either way I still say its your cheap MIDI cable...
            Go with the E-MU, it's a great unit.
            Dave
            Sonic Orb Studios
            My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
            Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

Midi to COM

The one adapter I've been using for some time and requires no driver, has been the Hosa SBC-195. Plug it into the com port or get a com port card (mother board breakout cable) and your set.

OB Jim

Comment

Originally posted by danulf View Post
                how do I install it? I just installed the program, but still with the windows generic driver installed and it did nothing.
                The VSTi software generally has an audio stream option. If you choose the default windows directsound driver, you'll experience lag. If you change the VSTi software audio option to ASIO4ALL, you'll get better performance (based on the capability of your hardware interface).

Originally posted by Oldblindjim View Post
                Plug it into the com port or get a com port card (mother board breakout cable) and your set.
                Thats not a comm port connector, thats a soundcard joystick connector. Not all PC's or soundcards have a joystick port. And unless it's something like the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 which is designed to reduce latency, you're going to be less than satisfied.

Originally posted by weldman View Post
                I thought Asio was an audio driver...
                Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

True, but he has a MIDI adapter, not an audio adapter. So, I doubt that that driver will do anything for him.

Comment

yeah it did nothing. I went to the store to get the EMU, but they didn't have any in so I got an M-Audio UNO. Works like a charm! Now I have some latency issues to deal with, but that's in the output, not the input so you might see a thread about that if I can't search my way to an answer.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Comment

Joystick MIDI is very unreliable IMO....
                      And you need the old joystick port on your DAW.

as for latency, check your audio buffers and MIDI buffers in the sequencer program.
                      I had some Latency on my rig at first and thought it was a MIDI buffer, turns out it was the audio section....

but its dead on time now and I use MIDI to trigger Session Drummer 2
                      Dave
                      Sonic Orb Studios
                      My Youtube

My kit is custom running 10, 12, 14" toms, a 12" snare, 2 crash, 1 ride, 1 splash, and dual kick drum all plugged into a
                      Roland TD-6V module which runs MIDI to Superior Drummer 2

Comment

I don't care to argue about it, all I can do is relate my own direct experience.

Now I have some latency issues to deal with, but that's in the output, not the input so you might see a thread about that if I can't search my way to an answer.
                        For what it's worth, following recommendations from others in this forum I use the ASIO4ALL driver with my M-Audio Uno with no latency. If you are experiencing lag, in my opinion you're either using the directsound driver or your PC resources are insufficient.

If the ASIO4ALL driver did nothing for you before, I humbly suggest it was your interface all along, but it will do what you want with the Uno, if you configure your software to use it.
                        Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

actually I get no latency if I uninstall ASIO4ALL, and use the "primary sound driver". Even though it says the latency is 39ms, I hear it straight away. I'm gonna try to reinstall ASIO4ALL

Comment

actually I get no latency if I uninstall ASIO4ALL, and use the "primary sound driver". Even though it says the latency is 39ms, I hear it straight away. I'm gonna try to reinstall ASIO4ALL
                            Thats awesome! Whatever works is the key.
                            Jack

Sabre's Album

Comment

Working...
                            X