Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recording midi in the PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording midi in the PC

I'm pretty new to this recording thing. I did some reading around the forum. I have the Yamaha UX16 USB-midi cable (connected to my midi out port on my vdrums) and Reaper. I tried to record some sounds with Reaper but it didn't seem to be picking up any audio at all. I've set it to pick up Midi Inputs -> All Channels. I also checked my audio settings and Midi's mute setting is unchecked.

Am I missing out something... hardware or software-wise?

MIDI doesn't transmit audio. It just records the strokes. You need to play back the MIDI through your drum module or some sort of plugin.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!
      I'm only using a HD-1 at the moment so I guess the module option is out.
      Does plugin mean a software like the Drumkit from Hell? Are their any other less pricey options around?

Comment

When you hit a pad on your HD-1, a "MIDI Note" is transmitted and sent out via the MIDI Out port on the unit. If you connect the MIDI out port to something with a MIDI Inport that contains sounds , you will hear the sound mapped to that corresponding note.

In this case, your computer acts as the device that contains sounds and receives the MIDI messages. Different software packages contain different sounds (BFD, EZ Drummer, etc). All that happens on the computer is that the programs sees the incoming MIDI note, and checks that against what sound is assigned to that MIDI note.

This is a very very simple explanation of MIDI, other messages are sent for sensitivity, articulation, program changes, etc. But this is the basic idea.

There is a standard called General MIDI that most, but not all devices conform to. This is supposed to insure interoperability between vendors and make my life and your life easier. Basically it allows you to connect devices and there to be a common mapping. For example when you hit your snare drum on your HD-1 when plugged into most devices, you will hear a snare drum. Again this isn't always the case, but its usually how it works.

All this being said, the HD1 has limited MIDI functionality. You cannot re-map MIDI notes or change the transmission channel. There are several mapping programs for Windows that can handle this for you.

I warn you now, once you start going the external sampler route, it's a deep deep rabbit hole that gets very costly . But it's great fun.

Comment

once you start going the external sampler route, it's a deep deep rabbit hole that gets very costly
          In what way?
          You can pick up EMU/Akai/Yamaha hardware samplers for next to nothing nowadays! No one really uses them anymore...it's all gone soft synth/VSTi.

There are several mapping programs for Windows that can handle this for you.
          Cubase allows you to do this internally via the drum edit page.
          On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
          With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
          Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
          "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

I'm having a different problem:

the latency is great, 3ms. But when i hit two notes at the same time, it just play one at a time. If I play Kick and Snare, it plays first the kick and then the snare. Don't know what to do =/

Comment

Working...
            X