Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

midi question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• midi question

I am using my td-12 with logic pro audio; beat mapping. If I record a drum track midi in garageband, using the garageband pop kit sounds; then open it in logic; how can I configure my td-12 brain so I can use its sounds? I've tried to do it; my brain is confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by litlgrn View Post
    I am using my td-12 with logic pro audio; beat mapping. If I record a drum track midi in garageband, using the garageband pop kit sounds; then open it in logic; how can I configure my td-12 brain so I can use its sounds? I've tried to do it; my brain is confused. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Are you trying to get a midi file to control your TD12? Midi doesn't transmit sounds, only control information (If you already know this, I apologize, your message is vague). If you are wanting your TD12 sound to come back into your computer you will need to have the audio outputs of the TD12 connected to the audio input of your computer. Make sure your midi channel in logic is set to the same channel in your TD12 (most likely 10). In logic you will need two tracks, one for the midi file and an audio file so you can record (monitor) the TD12. I do not own a TD12 but I do use my TD8 in this manner.
    alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Why are you recording with GB and then switching to Logic? I want to do the same thing but I would like to be able to trigger the brain's sounds using GB. I'm not sure it's possible to do this with GB ...is that the reason why you are switching to Logic?

Comment

My process goes something like this: I record my v drums via td-12 to presonus firepod thru midi cables in and out to GB. It records easily. The midi notes are there and plays using GB drumset tones. Ok. I want more variety than GB sounds. I open GB file in Logic pro; and am looking to be able to use my td-12 as a sound module for already recorded notes...
        Am I clear enough?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

My process goes something like this: I record my v drums via td-12 to presonus firepod thru midi cables in and out to GB. It records easily. The midi notes are there and plays using GB drumset tones. Ok. I want more variety than GB sounds. I open GB file in Logic pro; and am looking to be able to use my td-12 as a sound module for already recorded notes...
          Am I clear enough?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
          Why not just record directly to Logic? It would save a few steps. Are you able to get any midi at all out of logic? I use a Midi sport 2X2, connect up the midi ins and outs, and record to a midi file in logic. It seem to play back through my TD8 just fine. I have not tried to record into GB and then open it in logic however. If I get a chance, I will give this a try over the next couple days.
          alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Hellfire, do you know if it's possible to trigger the brain's sounds using Garageband? and if so, how do you do it?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikkey Dee View Post
              Hellfire, do you know if it's possible to trigger the brain's sounds using Garageband? and if so, how do you do it?
              Garageband does not have the ability to output MIDI. There is a AU unit that lets you do this, but it is buggy. Here is the link to the freeware AU unit:
              http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23227
              Keep in mind I have not used it. So, if you have questions about it, start searching the web. Good Luck!
              alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Does anyone have any experience using Logic Pro-midi and vdrums? How do I set up a midi channel to configure it to play the sounds from a td-12?
                Thank you

Comment

Does anyone have any experience using Logic Pro-midi and vdrums? How do I set up a midi channel to configure it to play the sounds from a td-12?
                  Thank you
                  Yes, I have experience using logic Express with my TD-8. I can help you but you need to answer questions when people ask. In post #5 I asked you "Are you able to get any midi at all out of logic?" I asked this question because I am try to ascertain if logic sees your midi interface. If the answer is yes, then you need to make sure the midi track you have open in logic is set like the one in the attached image. If you need to change that track, move your cursor over the number "10" (as indicated by the big red arrow). Click and hold, a fly out menu will appear, and you can select your midi instrument. As I stated in post #2 set it to channel 10 (or stated in logic as "STANDARD Drum"). Now on my TD-8 (I'm sure the TD-12 is similar) I have to turn "local control" under the midi menu "off". If you do not know where this is on you drum module, look in your manual. Now when I play the midi file in logic I can hear my TD-8 through the headphone jack (on my TD-8). If you want to hear it in logic you will need to plug your audio outputs from you TD-12 back into you Mac. On one of the audio tracks, set it for record. I also stated this in post #2.
                  Attached Files
                  alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Thanks, Hellfire. Looks like I'll be switching to Logic soon.

Comment

Thx hellfire for your help. I managed with logic to midi map my td-12. It works flawlessly with my new vh-11 too. Woowhoo!!
                      Now I can use the sounds in the brain too. New worlds of sound...what a concept.
                      Thx

Comment

Thx hellfire for your help. I managed with logic to midi map my td-12. It works flawlessly with my new vh-11 too. Woowhoo!!
                        Now I can use the sounds in the brain too. New worlds of sound...what a concept.
                        Thx
                        Originally posted by Mikkey Dee View Post
                        Thanks, Hellfire. Looks like I'll be switching to Logic soon.
                        Not a problem guys. I will always try to help if I think I have anything information that will help somebody. Good luck with all of your midi recording!
                        alesisDRUMMER.com

Comment

Working...
                        X