Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recording td-12 with midi. problem with hi-hat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording td-12 with midi. problem with hi-hat?

I have had my td-12 for a while now but i can't seem to find a good way to record it. I wanna use midi because then i can move beats that are misplaced and so on. With midi I'm having a problem with my hi-hat. It has different levels right. Open, half-open, closed etc. (don't know how many). If i wanna trigger those steps into midi what do you suggest? Cause then i believe i would need som kind of vst plug-in, that can trigger the steps of an opening and closing hi-hat. You know any programs that can do that? Same with rim-shots and all the "details" really.

Thanks!

If you create a new controller lane in your drum editor (Cubase for me) you can assign it to the cc (continuous controller) which corresponds to the parameter on the TD-20 that you want to modulate. In other words, if you wanted to move a say.. the positional data of a strike on the ride further towards the outside of the cymbal, you would assign the controller lane to modulate cc17 (aka Gen Purp 2). You can then draw in a value between 0 (centre) and 127 (edge). Hope that make sense

Aaron
    Last edited by The Source; 12-30-07, 06:01 AM.
    "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

TD-20 + TMC-6 + VF-1 + Gen16's = Not enough inputs.
    Watch me - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLqt6zaAYkY

Comment

Actually it does make sense since i use cubase myself. I have been recording with it for many years but i'm kind of a newbie on the controller lane thing. The velocity thing shouldn't be a problem but i still need like the different levels between an open and a closed hi-hat, and i'm not sure that is controlled by velocity between 0 and 127. Let's put it this way: I have no problem with my toms and kick because they are only hits and rim. crashes and rides shouldn't be that difficult either, but i believe it is the hi-hat that causes the most trouble. In a normal plug-in you have closed, open and pedal hi-hat but unfortunately nothing in between, but do you think that velocity trick will make it sound like your closing or opening your hi-hat? Because when you adjust the velocity, that's not the same thing as opening/closing it

Thank you for your answer anyway!

Comment

I believe it's cc4 that controls the open/closed that you're referring too.

Do a search for the TD20 drummap here in the forum (it's the same layout) and load it up. Record yourself playing something into Cubase and access the drum editor, change the controller lane to CC4 on the HH track and you'll see it.
        On YouTube: Playing Drum'n'Bass live with TD12 and SPD-S: Gig in Budapest
        With TD20-KX on SoundCloud
        Now sporting a TD30KV kit....
        "Trust Me, I'm a Professional"

Comment

Originally posted by espen3 View Post
          Because when you adjust the velocity, that's not the same thing as opening/closing it

Thank you for your answer anyway!
          Actually, adjusting the CC value is technically exactly the same as opening/closing your hats by moving your pedal. Whenever you move your hi-hat pedal up or down while you're playing, your module transmits cc data on cc4- 0 = open and 127 = closed. You'll find that the lower the value entered, the more open the sound produced will be, and vice-versa. By the way, in case you have any trouble finding cc4 in Cubase it's also known as "foot". Have fun

Aaron
          "Today young men on acid realised that all matter is purely energy condensed to a slow vibration; That we are all of one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively; There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves.. Here's Tom with the weather"...

Comment

I understand what you're saying and I've found the cc4 foot, and when i move the hi-hat pedal up and down, it's numbers are adjusting too, just like you said. My only problem is that nothing is actually happening to the sound. Can this have something with the plug-in i'm using to get the drum sound out? Is it possible to use the midi's in the sound module of the drums, so you get the exact same as when you play the drums, only in midi on your computer so you can edit it?

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure I quite understand.. May I ask what plugin you are using? What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to use cc4 to control an FX parameter (like the speed of a flanger or the sweep of an envelope filter) or are you just trying to alter the pedal position of a HH strike in MIDI data you've already recorded? Tell me exactly what you're trying to accomplish and we'll see if we can get you there

Aaron

Comment

Hi guys,
                i have been reading your messages. Unfortunately, I donít have a solution only a comment. I have close to the same problem when I record my TD-20 drums into Studio one 4. The other drums and cymbals seem to get into the DAW fine but the hi hat does not record correctly. It is sloppy and doesnít sound correct. There are three different actions or events I believe the hit can make: closed, opened, and closing. For the life of me I canít figure how to get all these sounds, only get opened. But if I make any progress I will surely post it here. I am just glad to see others trying to help each other cause thatís what itís all about. Good luck.
                Last edited by Vmusician; 07-10-19, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X