Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any ideas about this PC music setup?

Hi guys,

I'm planning on buying myself a whole brand new PC set up for music composing and recording. I just wanted to know if anybody had any suggestions, comments or ideas about the setup I am thinking of.

The computer would be something like this;
    - Pentium 4 1.5 Ghz processor
    - ASUS P4B S478 SDRAM motherboard
    - 512 MB SDRAM 133 MHz Major
    - Plextor 24X10X32X cd burner
    - 40Gb 7200 rpm harddisk
    - 17" monitor + my old 15" monitor

And then;
    - M-Audio Delta 1010 LT sound card, 8 analog I/O + sp/dif I/O + midi I/O
    - Midiman USB Midisport 4x4, 4 in/4 out midi interface
    - Emagic Logic Audio Gold or Platinum
    - Emagic EXS-24 sampler software
    - Emagic Sounddiver synth editor

Thanks for your reply's.

Greetings,
    Pieter

------------------
    http://mpcman.flappie.nl
    Music was my first love...

Sounds ok but I am a cubase man myself. If you are not use to a pc and are learning logic at the same time then I would take a week of work or your head may explode

Comment

Originally posted by mark.king:
      Sounds ok but I am a cubase man myself. If you are not use to a pc and are learning logic at the same time then I would take a week of work or your head may explode
      Well I am used to PC's, but not used to sequencing with a computer. That's gonna take some time to figure it all out I think. I heard Logic is not the most simple program, but it does offer very much features(like making your own keyboard shortcuts and so on), so that's the main reason for me to go with Logic.
      The good thing about using Sounddiver with Logic is that Sounddiver will automatically detect all my synths(not very much though) and see which patches they contain. Then I can select all those names in Logic for each track. Now that's nice

I'm buying a webcam as well, so if my head will explode I'll post pics of it over here

------------------

Comment

Hey C Jude,
        thanks for the comments.

Yeah I'd like to have two harddrives, but I have to cut down costs somewhere.

I'd rather have two 17" flatscreens, a 40 gb and 120 gb hd, a dvd writer, the "real" delta 1010 card with balanced I/O etc. etc.

I have a certain amount of money available for this and this seams the right way to spend it to me.

Two harddrives would maybe be a little over kill for me though. I'm not gonna use 32 tracks of audio
        Most of the time I'd be recording my electronic drums via midi, and use midi for the EXS-24 and my Proteus 2000 module. Harddisk recording is important, but not the most important thing.

The choice between Platinum and Gold is a budget related thing. If I can afford it I'll get Platinum, if not I won't

Do you have any suggestions on affordable dual head video cards?

Greetings,
        Pieter

------------------

Comment

I also have two hard drives. This was high on my priority list. It keeps data away from the operating system and if you have to rebuild then it does not effect any audio files. This can also be said for partitions but I prefer the seperate drive.

I thought the 815 chipset was for P3 and not P4 proccessors.

By the way cubase will probably have scripts for your synths. It does mine.

[This message has been edited by mark.king (edited February 10, 2002).]

Comment

hi again,

yeah I know two harddrives improves performance etc. but I meant to say that right now the harddisk recording part is not the most important. First I'll try to make music with midi and so on, then I'll start with the harddisk recording.
            I mean all I could record is audio output of my midi gear right now I don't have any mics yet, so my acoustic drumset wont be recorded.

In the summer I'll probably have some money again. Then I'll see what priority is high concerning the computer. I might add a 120Gb harddrive then or a TC Powercore card... we'll see

Greetings,
            Pieter

------------------

Comment

I downloaded a demo version of Sounddiver and I made a screenshot of it while connected to my Proteus 2000. It gives you an idea why I want two monitors

The good stuff about this program is that you can see almost all possibilities of the module on one screen. There are a lot of parameters of which I knew their existance, but never really knew what they did(hey man, I'm not gonna read the ****ing manual!), but this program shows what it does.

Like the velocity switching parameters. It would take lots of time to find out yourself with the module only what parameter does what, but this program shows it to you.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by c. jude:
                And SoundDiver has a profile for my TD-10. Oops, you have a red module.
                It does work with my Alesis D4!

------------------

Comment

You know I'm just kidding you. Let us know how your computer works out. I just got mine back from a retrofit and I'm loving it (and nyah nyah I have three harddrives ).
                  Hehehe

Well the first thing I'll do when everything is working is make some pics with the webcam of my small home studio and post them over here.

------------------

Comment

Well, by now you've probably already bought it... But for anyone else reading this... My personal opinion is that Logic would be kind of an overkill if you've never done sequencing on the PC before. The learning curve with it is pretty steep, and it isn't very suitable for editing/fixing stuff with a mouse after you record it. I'd go with SONAR (use it and Cubase myself). I tried logic and gave up the first day.
                    I sold all my V-drums!!! I can bet you this is only temporary, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri:
                      Well, by now you've probably already bought it... But for anyone else reading this... My personal opinion is that Logic would be kind of an overkill if you've never done sequencing on the PC before. The learning curve with it is pretty steep, and it isn't very suitable for editing/fixing stuff with a mouse after you record it. I'd go with SONAR (use it and Cubase myself). I tried logic and gave up the first day.
                      Hi Dimitri,
                      thanks for the suggestion.

I haven't yet bought my setup, but I am 100% sure I will use Logic.
                      Yes it will probably a little bit harder than some other sequencers, but I don't think it will be a problem for me.

Greetings,
                      Pieter

------------------
                      My Personal homepage
                      MPCman's E-drum Picsite!

Comment

I would suggest getting the full fledged M-Audio Delta 1010 instead of the LT version. I know its more expensive, but there is just something about all of those cables hanging out of the back of the sound card of the LT that looks fragile and kind of weak to me. The advantage of the LT may be the cost and the built in Mic Pre's, but I can't imagine they are as good as the XDR Pre's on a Mackie board for example, or even the DBX mini pre which uses a small tube for warmth (its nice for vocals and direct bass and only $100 US).

I have used the Delta 1010 for approx. eight months now with no problems both at home and at band rehearsal space. I have the beakout box mounted in an SKB style rack case along with the computer (boomrack rackmount horzontal computer case), so that I can move them together.

Comment

Well.. I got all the parts last Wednesday and I started building then. I had never built nor installed a computer before, but the system was up and running the next day (after skipping school, sorry mom!! ).
                          Everything works ok, except for the network which doesn't want to do anything!

This is the final setup I got;

- Pentium4 1.6 ghz
                          - Asus P4T/E(or something) motherboard
                          - 2x 256mb 800mhz Viking Rimm memory (perhaps to be upgraded to 4x 512mb next year if the prices are better )
                          - IBM 40gb 7200 rpm hd
                          - Lite On cd burner
                          - 19" LG monitor, running [email protected] hz
                          - Geforce 2 MX400 videocard
                          - Logitech Cordless Desktop Pro
                          - Logitech Quickcam Express
                          and last but certainly not least;
                          - M-Audio Delta 1010lt soundcard, with 8 analog I/O, midi I/O, sp/dif I/O etc.
                          - Midiman USB Midisport 4x4 midi interface with 4 I/O

I'm really happy with the system.... I'm gonna check out various sequencers to see which works best for me.. if I'll ever make something with my ddrums worth listening to, I'll post it over here.

Greetings,
                          Pieter

------------------
                          My Personal homepage - MPCman's E-drum Picsite! currently with 14 profiles

Comment

That's great, Pieter! Is it somewhere all for you? It ought to keep you pretty busy.
                            Hell yeah this is gonna keep me busy

Off course everything can be faster and bigger and better, but considering how serious I am with composing music this pc will do fine.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by MPCman:
                              Everything works ok, except for the network which doesn't want to do anything!
                              Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I've got everything working!

But now the midi interface turns out to be defective... sent it back today..

------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X