VDrums- Mac & Protools a good combo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VDrums- Mac & Protools a good combo?

Hello, I have VDrums and want to do my own drum tracking at home. My partner and I currently have our studio at his house, consisting of mackie board, 3 adats, and a pc using wavelab. We have recorded 3 cds and have always sent the vdrums to the mackie and then to the adats. This last cd however we recorded a few drum tracks directly to the PC via a Darla sound card, which got me thinking...I would love to be able to do my drum parts, loops, etc. at home and am thinking of buying either an IMAC or a PowerG4 Mac computer and I have ordered the free version of ProTools.
    I am thinking I can burn what I record onto my computer onto CD and hand it to my partner to use? Is this feasible? Right now he is using the PCcomputer primarily for mixing in the studio..we are still using the adats for most of the recording. What would you recommend for a home setup for myself for this situation. I just want the freedom to be able to create & track drums at home, but be able to use it with our studio. Any ideas or suggestions?

If you have a pc then I would not get a digi001 unless you are happy for it to work with ptle only and use a crap driver for everything else. If you try to use with cubase or any other program that is capable of using multi ins then you only get sterio from the digi001.

It is a closed package and digi like to keep it that way. All other soundcards out there can be used in any programm fully as they all tend to have ASIO drivers.

Take a look at cubase.net website and see if anything there interests you

Comment

Hi drummergirl,

Yes Protools at home would be very nice, but keep in mind that you'll need to work with the same program as your friend to have optimum file compatibility/exchangeability. So if you friend uses Cubase, it would make most sense to use cubase as well, unless your friend wants to use Pro Tools as well.
      Keep in mind you'll need to have a Digidesign audio interface, digi-001 or m-box, to use the real version of Pro Tools LE, to use it on your friends computer one of these interfaces should be connected as well. From this point of view an M-Box would be nice, since it's a usb interface, so it's easy to take with you and connect to another computer. But the M-Box lacks the individual outs, you'll need to decide whether the whole mixing would be done in the computer or not.

It all depends on what you want to do, recording your V-drums as midi data first, then edit the bad notes and then record each instrument as a separate audio track, or record your V-drums directly as multi track audio.
      If you need any info on soundcards I'd be happy to share my opinion about some.

I'm going to buy myself a PC for music soon, with Logic and a M-Audio soundcard, so we're kinda in the same boat

Greetings,
      Pieter

------------------
      http://mpcman.flappie.nl
      Music was my first love...

Comment

I see what you are saying about using the same software as my partner. At the time of my original post, I did not realize that WAVELAB was made by the same folks who do Cubase, so it looks as if I am leaning more towards cubase or cubasis Let me clarify. My partner ONLY uses WAVELAB..in other words, he does not use CUBASE. He records through a MACKIE and records onto ADAT, then I guess sends that into his WAVELAB for editing. So, say if I got Cubase at home and recorded drum tracks, burned it to CD at home, handed it to my partner, what format would that drum track be in? WAV? Then would he take that drum track and send it to the ADAT? or send it to WAVELAB to work with it? Also, say I have 8 tracks to work with, I am using one track for my guide track whether it be a click or a song that Craig has given me to put drums to... do you think it would be necessary to track bass drum, snare drum, cymbals, etc. separate or just get a good mix in the vdrum sound module, pans set, etc.and record the entire kit onto one track? leaving the other tracks open for percussion tracks..or loops..or whatever?

Also, I WOULD like your advice on sound cards! Thanks

Diana

Comment

first of all, don't waste your time with ProTools free...its a big marketing gimmick by Digidesign to get you to buy their more expensive systems when you get tired of getting only 8 audio tracks in Protools Free.....

Protools LE software is over rated anyway..".whoopdee freakin' do..I'm recording in Protools!"....unless you are recording into Protools high end hardware it doesnt really matter if your are recording with Protools freaking software...the only real advantage with Protools Free is you get your feet wet working on a software platform that is the industry standard...

this is what I did and it works incredible...

I bought an iMac 400 se Dv and loaded it up with RAM (very cheap today) ...you can find them used on ebay for $600.....two firewire ports, two usb ports.....I bought the Motu 828 firewire audio interface for $650...you also get the AudioDesk audio software which is cool....

the 828 has 8 analog in and out, two on board preamps, two xlr's connectors for mikes, phantom power, lightpipe, adat connections, you name it.... you can record v-drums with a stock iMac till the cows come home ....

then I bought a QueFire firewire external CD burner for $125 off ebay, which plugs into the other firewire port on the iMac...I've burned 8 or 9 songs at 12x in about 3 minutes...

there are a number of Mac mastering platforms simliar to Wavelab that work awesome....Bias Peak, Spark, to name a couple....or get Virtual PC for mac and run Wavelab....

I'm not saying my way is the only way, but's its simple, works without a hitch, and relatively inexpensive...with an iMac you don't have to open up a computer and start screwing around....just plug in your firewire connection and start making music....

this setup, or something similiar will let you do anything like what your trying to do and then some.....

[This message has been edited by captain54 (edited February 15, 2002).]

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Here is what I have decided to get. I am going with a PC instead of the Mac. I just ordered the Dell 8200. I have also decided to get Cubase VST32 and either the Aardvark Q10 soundcard or the event layla soundcard. Your suggestions really made a difference in my decision. Thanks again!!

Comment

hi drummergirl -

i assume since you have been doing your research you know about things like drive speed, chipset, etc and how they can affect recording quality. i only mention this because many of the some of the dell boxes come with slower disks and motherboards undersirable for recording applications. many people actually build their DAWs from scratch for this reason - also because it can be even cheaper!

just thought i would bring these issues up in case you had not already considered them.

Comment

A customer of ours had bought a Creamware soundcard for his Compaq pc. He wanted to turn off the motherboards soundcard in the BIOS settings, but he couldn't acces that. Only a Compaq employee had the codes or whatever to do it, but that would cost very much bucks.
                I believe the guy simply bought a new motherboard for a lower price than he would have paid Compaq for the "service".

------------------
                http://mpcman.flappie.nl
                Music was my first love...

Comment

Hey! I am hoping my Dell is going to work out. I've already ordered it! My partner has a Dell he bought last year that he uses in the studio...he runs ACID on and WAVELAB and he has been very pleased. As far as his sound card, he uses an Event Darla and it works fine. Maybe I should go with the Event Layla instead of the Aardvark just in case there is some possibility of a conflict? Here are the specs on the Dell...I did think about getting 2 drives but a friend at a mastering said that 80GB HardDrive would be plenty...BUT I think I will call Dell and see if they can add another harddrive. Here are specs..Is this harddrive fast? Thanks guys! Dimension® 8200 Series, Pentium® 4 Processor at 1.8 GHz

Memory: 256MB PC800 RDRAM
                  Keyboard: New Dell® Enhanced QuietKey Keyboard
                  Monitor: 17 in (15.9 in viewable,.27dp) E771 Monitor
                  Video Card: 64MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX Graphics Card with TV-Out
                  Hard Drive: 80GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive
                  Floppy Drive: 3.5 in Floppy Drive
                  Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
                  Mouse: MS IntelliMouse®
                  Network Card: No Network Card Requested
                  Modem: 56K Telephony Modem for Windows® XP
                  DVD-ROM or CD-ROM Drive: FREE Upgrade! 16x/10x/40x CD-RW Drive with Roxio's Easy CD Creator®
                  Sound Card: SB Live! Digital Sound Card
                  Speakers: Harmon Kardon HK-195 Speakers
                  Bundled Software: Microsoft® Works Suite 2002 with Money 2002 Standard
                  Digital Music: Dell Jukebox powered by MusicMatch 6.0 for XP
                  Digital Imaging Software: Image Expert®2000 for XP,Dell Edition

Comment

i just glanced at the 8200 specs and it looks like it will probably work fine. they don't specify what mobo it uses, but it looks like it's intel 850-based. my guess is it's an intel D850GB which has a nice 400mhz bus but has the drawback of being rambus-based. you'll definitely want to spring for some additional memory. the 80gb drive is a 7200rpm drive and although it does have a seek time of around 9.5ms (a little slow) it should still be fine. c. jude is definitely on point about getting a second hard drive (and possibly a third, although i doubt your chassis will fit it) and using that for your OS and applications.

Comment

Hey! Well the Dell has already shipped, so I will have to add the extra harddrive after the fact. I am going to order a 20gb harddrive from dell and some more ram memory and have someone install it for me. Good point about the internet. I actually was not planning on using this computer for anything other than music. In fact, I am going to uninstall any unnecessary software that came bundled. I asked Dell if they could ship it without and they said no..another reason, I realize, to build the computer yourself! Anyway, I am confident or at least hopeful that this machine will work out ok for what I am doing....mainly drum tracks...I will let you guys know when it all comes together.

Comment

Originally posted by drummergirl:
                        ... I am going to order a 20gb harddrive from dell and some more ram memory and have someone install it for me. ... In fact, I am going to uninstall any unnecessary software that came bundled.
                        have that person also completely reinstall windows from scratch (with none of the other BS software it ships with!) on that 20GB drive and completely wipe that 80GB dude and you'll be in bidness.

have fun!

[This message has been edited by digitsone (edited February 21, 2002).]

Comment

Welcome to PC Recording FunLand!!

I've tried a million PC combo's out there before I went with a Mac for audio...Overall, I would say I spend a lot more time making music now than screwing around with a computer....

However, you can get some work done on your Dell system....

1)reinstalling the WinXP OS on a second 20Gig HD and recording audio on the 80Gig is a good suggestion...a dedicated recording drive makes a BIG difference in the performance of a PC DAW...

2)try to shut down everything that auto-opens up booting...(antivirus, system scan, auto cd enabling...)

3)I had a hell of a time with Cubase vst32 5.0...maybe you'll have better luck...

4)WindowsXP is fairly new and might not be totally compatible with Cubase VST32 and your audio card...Unfortunately, that's one of the big drawbacks of getting the lastest OS for Windows..all the soft/hardward manufacturers have to play catch-up and rush to get it compatible...

Good Luck!!

Comment

I grant you that it might run but can it take a beating and keep on ticking??

I don't think I'm the only one when I declare my skittishness when trying to mix and match new operating sytems w/older software/hardware combos....

I guess I've been burned one too many times...

Comment

Thanks for your advice. Listen, this may be a stupid question, but I know to re-install Windows XP on the separate 20gb harddrive, but which drive do I install Cubase or music software? On the 80gb harddrive? I guess I was wondering if my music sofware is on the 80gb harddrive will Windows be able to open it up? or do I just save actual songs, etc. to the 80gb harddrive and install all software including Cubase on the 20gb drive. I'm all new to this so excuse the ignorance!

Comment

Working...
                              X