recording output of drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording output of drums

I just got a computer with a fancy Soundblaster card and Cubasis software for recording. I have a Roland V set and would like to record the output and mix/remix/overdub drum parts. My problem is that the drums are in one room and the computer is in the other so I can't play and record on the PC at the same time. Is there a simple way to record the output of the drums onto some other type of device and then dump it onto the PC? Can someone recommend a device to temporarily store the midi out from the drums?

Use a long midi cable. Cubase (not sure about cubasis) has remote control from a midi controler capability so you van set it recording remotely. Have a look in the pdf file that I assume came with this version.

Comment

I have my kit just beside the PC but I use a lot to record directly into Mini Disc. I find it very useful when I only want to record what I'm playing to later listen and correct.
      Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, they all have different models of MD Walkman with analog and digital (optical) inputs as well as microphone. You can also connect the MD into the PC and transfer everithing to Cubasis. And MD disks are cheap

Or you can use your Video Camcorder (if it has audio input), or your VHS.
      I used to use a VHS to record my practices by connecting the camera into the video input and the TD-10 into the audio.

Just look around your house and you'll find a recording device...

What I described above is to record audio and then copy into the PC in wav format. If you still want to record midi try a long cable but ther's a maximum lenght. After that you'll start having problems.
      I don't know of any small and cheap device to record midi.

[This message has been edited by boismenu (edited January 18, 2002).]

Comment

Good! I'm not the only one who uses a VCR to record myself. I thought I was crazy! It actually does a good job, plus you get 6 hours of recording on one tape!

Comment

Good Idea's but if you record the midi you can do it to a click track defined in cubase. You can split all drums onto sperate tracks and then mute all but one and record each as an audio track(wav) This way you have complete control over all the sperate drums just as if they were miked individually. Working with a sequencer opens lots of options that do not exist with simple two track recording

Comment

Working...
          X