Recording with Pro Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording with Pro Tools

I am having a bit of difficulty getting my Session set be recorded into my protools rig. I see the that there is a midi signal coming in, but there is no sound coming out. I also see that there is an input from the drums in the audio section, but still, no sound. Do you think that this is a Pro Tools problem? If so... any suggestions? If not, is there a setting on the TD 10 that I am just overlooking?

UGH!
    B

Have you also got the MIDI out from the Digi001 (??I assume??) going INTO the TD-10 in order to trigger the sounds?
    Steve

'I only ever quote myself - except when I quote someone else' - me

, plenty of , and , , triggered acoustics, , and a plethora of PA blah blah freakin blah...I mean does anyone care about the specifics of pedals, speakers, processors, hardware or anything that I'm using?? :confused: Hmmm, maybe this is an appropriate place to mention that I tried out a new cymbal stand the other day...

Comment

brandon, you might want to post some specific details about what you are trying to do. are you trying to record a midi sequence or audio? what protools version/interface are you using? what platform? etc etc.

i know there a million people here who know much more about PT then i but i may be able to help with a basic task of this nature.

Comment

Brandon... unless you absolutely must use midi, I suggest configuring your TD10's "mixer" (Control Room -- Mixer) to separate your instruments into individual and bussed outputs. My kits (in the studio) almost always have the following setup:

Trigger: Output: Pan:

kick Master L 15
        snare Master R 15
        tom1 Direct1 L 6
        tom2 Direct1 L 2
        tom3 Direct1 R 6
        tom4 Direct1 R 10
        hat Direct2 L 15
        ride Direct2 R 15
        crash1 Direct3 L 15
        crash2 Direct3 R 15

This will separate all but the toms into their own outputs... the toms will be spread across two outputs in much the same way they would sound to a seated drummer.

Then, all you have to do is connect each output on the TD10 to an input on your recording rig (I have found that using mic-preamps gives sufficient input gain control).

You now have 8 isolated drum tracks for automated mixing, eq-ing, effects on single instruments, or any other great reason for isolating tracks.

Just a thought.

Jonathan Lowry

Comment

I'm with Timjax unless someone can explain to me the advantages of recording my kit via midi. Can I change the instrument sounds after I record the separate tracks like I can from the TD-10 before I play and record? If that is possible, it would be awesome. Like having your module inside your computer and changing a 16" crash to a 14" with a higher pitch and longer delay after its been recorded. If Cakewalk Sonar or something else that will run on a 1 GHz AMD T-bird CPU (not Pro Tools, I've tried it) will do that, I'll buy it.

Comment

Hi ,
            I think it 's PT problem .I'm not sure .I think PT can't record midi and audio which have same source at the same time .I have same problem too so what I do is record only midi first .To monitor ,u just make aux input .Afterthat u edit all midi drum track then make audio track to record.

[This message has been edited by thetid (edited November 15, 2001).]

Comment

There are some great advantages of recording midi but a few things to be aware of.
              The first great advantage is that once the midi is recorded you can edit the kit to your hearts content ,you dont have to commit to audio until the final mix is 99.9% ready and this will ensure that the V`s sit well in the mix.

You can also edit the individual velocities of every single note ,so if you get a bad crash velocity when you know you never hit it that hard you can just lower it.

The hardest thing to do with V-Drum midi is edit the timing due to the way the positional sensing works ,the midi data for this is Control Change 16 and is sent just before the Note On message for the drum youve just hit is sent.
              If you play a note a bit late and you want to move it right on the money then you have to move the cc16 message as well ,but you have to make sure that it is a couple of ticks before the Note On message.

Personally i think the best way to use the V-drum module with midi sequencers is to record the performance as midi then unplug all the pads from the module and turn Local Mode off from the Global midi settings.
              This will speed up the triggering via midi.
              You may also find that at first the hi hat wont play open notes properly this is down to the way the pedal was positioned when you unplugged it all you have to do is insert a Control Change 4 Message at the start of the sequence ,with a value of 0 or 127 to tell the module that the hi hat pedal is fully open or fully closed.
              The hi hat will then read all the data corectly.

Regarding PT not being able to record Midi and Audio from the same source ,I would be very suprised if that is the case.

Despite the fact that they are both coming out of the TD10 the computer sees Midi and Audio input devices as completly separate.
              Unless you are using PT Free and its a limitation of the software that you can only record one input at a time then I`d dig into the manual because all software can usually do this.
              Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by e-drummer (edited November 16, 2001).]

Comment

Bagman... While you can use the recorded tracks to "re-trigger" the TD-10, I wouldn't suggest it... You'll lose ALL the dynamics... every hit of every instrument will be at full-velocity... not very good.

e-drummer... I see your point about midi, but "committing" real-time audio in ProTools is a subjective thing... I can't "quantize" my performance, per se, but I can shift mis-hits or drags quite easily manually. And since there are eight tracks of drums, I can mix them any way I want until the cows come home! No "commitment" until final mixdown... And by treating the tracks as if they were from an acoustic drum session, I can usually get some astoundingly realistic tones (with much better control over EQ, because there's no snare bleeding into the hihat, etc.)... Once the tracks are laid, treat 'em like tracks of a live, acoustic kit and you can't go wrong... Then it's just a matter of performance...

Thanks for the props on midi, though... well said!

Jonathan Lowry

Comment

I have an old copy of Cakewalk Guitar Studio on a different computer that will take midi input and allow you to edit it. I think I'll hook a couple of pads and my module up to that and play around with it to see if it really has the editing advantages that you get with the recorded input from a midi keyboard. Maybe its worth it.

Comment

To clear some things up, if you record via MIDI you are recording note and velocity information ONLY, regardless of software! To get your audio recorded you'll have to connect not only both MIDI ports (in to out), but also the audio outputs of your TD-10 to the audio inputs of whatever AD/DA interface you're using.
                    The widespread opinion that ProTools cannot record MIDI is false and dates back to old ProTools 3.0 days, before it had a sequencer.

So, to recap, connect your audio outputs to the audio inputs on your DIGI 001, or whatever interface you're using, and select these as the input sources on the mixing window.
                    Any ProTools questions (I'm assuming you're using ProTools LE), feel free to e-mail me.

Stu
                    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Working...
                    X