I need some critics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some critics

Can you guys check out these recordings and give me some feedback. I am very new to recording and do not have much equipment. To give some background before you go after the most apparent error's, these recordings were done live and at full volume in my room with a mackie cr1604 mixer feeding into my pc and recording only one stereo track in a program called "goldwave". I am using a crappy, built in to the motherboard, standard sound card. Goldwave is a nice FREE piece of software that lets me edit, record, eq, compress...etc. I think this recording sounds very raw, the main reason for this is that the vocals have no effect or anyhting on them. The guitars were mic'd with senneheiser's and the I took a direct out from the bass and vocals. I ran the master out of my session kit and mixed everything down and sent it into my pc.
    any suggestions guys??
    I'd love to know about some other good free/inexpensive software that could help.
    Also, If I stepped up to a 32 bit soundcard would it make a tremendous difference from my 16 bit?
    -drumlogic www.streamload.com
    user name:drumlogic
    password:animal
    This is my punk/rock/metal/funk/a litte of everything band called "Positive Logic"
    hence the name drumlogic.
    -Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Listening at low volume...

Not bad for a live recording...Your guitarist has a noise problem that you should have him take care of. Sounds like either a ground hum (try a ground lift) or that he may need to use a different pickup combination if he's got single coils (like a Fender Strat or Telecaster)...positions 2 or 4 will help with this...flourescent lights and computer monitors will cause this problem.

You guys like the word sh*t, don't you. Not my style of music at all, but like I said...not bad for a live recording.

If you got a better card and multi-tracking software, you'd probably be happier...not for a live recording like this, but for actually multi-tracking separate parts and doing a real mix.

redbrick www.mp3.com/Subtle_Nuance
    My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

Originally posted by drumlogic:
      Can you guys check out these recordings and give me some feedback. I am very new to recording and do not have much equipment. To give some background before you go after the most apparent error's, these recordings were done live and at full volume in my room with a mackie cr1604 mixer feeding into my pc and recording only one stereo track in a program called "goldwave". I am using a crappy, built in to the motherboard, standard sound card. Goldwave is a nice FREE piece of software that lets me edit, record, eq, compress...etc. I think this recording sounds very raw, the main reason for this is that the vocals have no effect or anyhting on them. The guitars were mic'd with senneheiser's and the I took a direct out from the bass and vocals. I ran the master out of my session kit and mixed everything down and sent it into my pc.
      any suggestions guys??
      I'd love to know about some other good free/inexpensive software that could help.
      Also, If I stepped up to a 32 bit soundcard would it make a tremendous difference from my 16 bit?
      -drumlogic www.streamload.com
      user name:drumlogic
      This is my punk/rock/metal/funk/a litte of everything band called "Positive Logic"
      hence the name drumlogic.

You are busted!! Too many Logs from too many different CPU's..............

Comment

man, what a piece of crap. I didnt realize I was limited, does anyone know of some good free file storage spaces on the web. In the meantime I also have them here: www.filesanywhere.com
        user:drumlogic
        ***you may have to click download a few times before it works

-Drumlogic, V-session, Visulite/roland cymbals, (2)Mackie srm-450's, bbe 482 sonic maximizer,

Comment

Upload your files to my FTP if you like. I will make a personal directory for you once I have the file.

ftp://vdrum:[email protected]/ for all you internet explorer / netscape users.

If you have cute ftp (or similar) try the following;

User: vdrum Password: vdrum
          Address: vdrummer.no-ip.com
          Port: 21

Give it a try!
          Kelly Mercer
          Halifax, Nova Scotia
          Canada

My Youtube Channel!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
          http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I have the files in the main International Musicians directory under the sub directory Positive Logic.

Man that sounds pretty damn polished for a bargain basement approach!

I liked it.

Upload some more if you like.

Wow!

I use Cool Edit Pro to record onto my computer. As for the tracking I use an old Fostex X18H multi-track unit. Its old and analogue but I like it.

Kelly Mercer
            Halifax, Nova Scotia
            Canada

My Youtube Channel!
            http://www.youtube.com/user/VirtualMP3Studio

My "home studio" webcam!
            http://virtualmp3studio.ww.com/

Comment

I appreciate painfully honest criticism of my work, so I give the same...

I only downloaded 2 of the songs, so I can only comment on what I heard.

For the level of production you are using, the music sounds good. A little boomy on the bottom, but that's fairly common. Some overall EQ on the final mix, & maybe dial back the bass guitar a bit, especially the low end.

And easy on the 80's-style double-kick there, Sparky! Solid tempo and groove will make more people mosh than spaz-fills. Weezer's "Hashpipe" (I just had to hear that one) is more of a stripped-down "Peter Gunn" kinda thing, but I overall liked your band's arrangement of it.

To me, the biggest drawback to the mix was the vocals. They were kinda buried, without much effect, ambience, or level control. A little compression and some reverb or delay would go a long way toward making your singer sound more polished. The guitar sound was very good (maybe a little lower-midrange in it for meat), and the drum sound was very good!

Recording is one of those things that is a constant learning process; the more you do it, the better you get. Good start - sounds wayyyyyyyyy better than my early 4-track attempts! Much better-than-average punk recording!

-Danny
              -Danny

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

Thanks guys, keep it coming. I also appreciate painfully honest criticism. Cyberjam, I'm glad you liked it, thanks for the storage space, I'll upload some more when I get some better recordings. Though I used these tracks as a recording test, my band members and myself never expected other people to hear it so please excuse the musical/timing errors and the playing around. The vocals are on the top of my list of things to fix here. They are definitely burried and in desperate need of effects. You guys really seem to know your $hit so keep it coming. Thanx.

-drumlogic

P.S. fartnokker, if you like weezer there are 3 other weezer songs in there, check em out and let me know what you think.

Comment

thanx to cyberjam you can hear the songs at: ftp://vdrum:[email protected]/International%20Musicians/Positive%20Logic/

Comment

Working...
                  X