Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-Studios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Studios

Has anyone had any experience recording bands with this equipment? Can you realistically take a project from the first note to a polished/mastered professional sounding CD? Keep in mind the band is 90% digital so the only real variables as far as I can tell would be vocals and guitars...Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. Currently I am looking at purchasing the Roland Studio Pak for this purpose but I'd like to investigate more before I do.

Originally posted by fiftyonepeg:
    Has anyone had any experience recording bands with this equipment? Can you realistically take a project from the first note to a polished/mastered professional sounding CD? Keep in mind the band is 90% digital so the only real variables as far as I can tell would be vocals and guitars...Any thoughts or opinions would be helpful. Currently I am looking at purchasing the Roland Studio Pak for this purpose but I'd like to investigate more before I do.
    They're very nice. The quality of the effect boards is good, and they're real easy to handle. The only thing is that all Roland V-studios compress audio in a weird way when rendering. I found you don't really hear it in the mix, but it's obvious when soloing tracks. But that's a common problem with any kind of digital recording, even ProTools gives you some audio discoloration.
    The Studio Pack seems like a nice little recording package, the mixer has gotten some good reviews, and as far as I can tell you're getting a Logic version somewhere in between Logic Silver and Gold, i.e. not bad at all.

Stu

P.S. When are you guys playing New England? I really like 51Peg!
    "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

Thanks!!! Glad you like the band- once we get our transportation situation settled again we can play further down the East Coast.

What is your area of expertise- I mean are you a V-drums user, work for a studio etc..?
      If we pull the trigger on this recording package it would be good to know someone who has worked with this stuff before....

Comment

Fiftyonepeg,

We've done exactly that...used vdrums with vs1680/1880 (connected together for more tracks and effects). We had live guitar and vocals as well as real bass, some real piano, and keyboards.

I posted this before, but rather than you having to look for it, I'll just re-paste it here.

I posted a snippet of one of the tunes from an album I played the vdrums on. Nothing fancy...but I think they sound good on "tape".
        Go to www.freedrive.com
        userid : redbrick
        passwd : vdrums

In the "My Folder" folder, there is an mp3 called "In the Light". Please give it a listen and post your feedback.

Thanks and I hope that helps,
        Redbrick
        My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

I'm mainly a V-drums user, who does a bit of home recording, plus we play similar styles of music. I've worked with a VS-1680, and really liked the way it operated, it was very intuitive, IMO.
          I mean, for the price the Studio Pack is going for, that can't be beat, seriously. You're getting good software, the top-range VM-7000 series digital mixer works with those RPC-1 cards, and the mixer is great. I'd give it a try.

If you get to New England, get in contact with No Response, all CT club promoters know who they are. That'd be a nice gig package

Stu

[This message has been edited by mcconaghy (edited June 06, 2001).]
          "Fry that sound effect, Moriarty, we're having it for breakfast"

Comment

hi
            Where can i read about the studio pack on the net? (not talking about roland site, but some reviews for example)

Comment

I use the Roland VS-2480 and have done a lot of live and studio recordings, the 8 XLR channels with mic preamps are really handy!
              And you can record 16 tracks at once and use a vga monitor directly connected to the bord!
              Johan
              Janeco Digital Recording

Comment

I've been using a VS880vExpanded w/FX card for all my material and have been very, very pleased

------------------
                www.mp3.com/entrylevel
                Dan's Music Site; melodic, ethereal rock and more! Please have a listen :^)

Comment

Our band is doing this currently. We make dance music (a mix of St-Germain / Bob Sinclair if you are familiar with them) that we play live (drummer - bass player - sequencer/guitar player - synth/rhodes player.
                  We are recording at a friend's place. He owns a Mac G4 with a copmlete Pro Tools program running on it (he used to work in a professional studio...). We basically just plug and play. I go first and record the drums/percussion via MIDI and via audio (that way our producer/friend can do whatever he likes, e.g. when he does remixes).
                  I'm not familiar with that Studio Pak but I can asure you recording with vdrums is heaven in comparison to acoustics (if you're on a budget...)
                  - "Can i kick it?"
                  - "Yes, you can ..."

Comment

Working...
                  X