Suggestion for recording equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion for recording equipment

I've already searched the boards for these answers but some of the posts are fairly old. With advances in technology and new equipment, I thought someone might be able to offer some more current information.

I work with a singer/songwriter who lives in another city and owns a Yamaha 16 track workstation with built-in hard disk recorder. He sends me cds of his guitar and vocal tracks that are recorded using a click track so I can learn the material and then I travel there to put down drum tracks. Since I now own a set of Vdrums I wondered if there would be a way to record drum tracks at home and send them to him. I don't want to buy another Yamaha because of the expense and the fact that it would be more than I need. His Yamaha only reads cds so we would have to buy two new units unless there's a less expensive hard disk recorder compatible with his that I could purchase. These are the options that I've come up with if we each buy an additional piece of equipment:

1. He could send me the songs on cd and I could transfer them onto 2 tracks of whatever type of recorder we both get. I could then record the drums on 4 tracks and send him the tracks on whatever medium is used by the new recorder. When he gets it he could download the drum tracks to his Yahama and finish the overdubs, if there's a way to sync the new drum tracks with the already recorded basic tracks.

2. He could send me the basic tracks on the new medium: dat, mini disk, zip, etc., and I could then add my drum tracks and send them back to him. He could then transfer everything back to his 16 track Yamaha.

Can anyone recommend a decent 8 track recorder that would work in this situation, and is it easy to sync up a new machine with the original Yamaha? In addition, is there a recorder that could double as a mixer with a JBL Eon G2, or Mackie speaker for live situations so I wouldn't have to buy a separate mixer? Thanks.
    Ron

I don't know if you've considered this, or if it's something you're even interested in, but one possibility, provided you both have the proper equipment, would be to hook the cd up to your module via the mix in, and run a midi out from your brain to a computer, and just record the midi. That way, you could just email him your midi (midi files are impossibly small), and he could just find drum samples which he liked.. just an idea..

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Mac G4 and I thought about using it for recording but it's not in the same place as my drums and I don't want to move it each time I record.

The midi idea is new to me so excuse me if these sound like dumb questions. Does this mean that the sounds being used would not actually be created on the vdrums, but would be sampled sounds from some other source? When I listen to playback, I would hear the sounds from the vdrums, but when he receives the file he wouldn't hear anything until he uses the midi file to trigger a sampled sound? Wouldn't that be a waste of the great sounds you can get on the vdrums?
      Ron

Comment

well, I'm by no means a midi guru--far from it, in fact. But to answer your question, yes, he would pretty much get a file containing a bunch of messages that basically say "okay, play a specific sound right now" He would have to assign his own sounds, which might not be so great, but in some situations that could be desirable.. For example, my friend and I have been wanting to get into making drum and bass electronica for a long time, but the drum tracks are impossibly difficult to program.. so when I got my v's, I just played them live, and then we got the midi onto his computer and assigned some badass electronic drum samples to it.. so in some situations, it's the best possible thing to do, and in others, it's kind of making the best of a not-so-hot situation..

hope i helped a little

adam

Comment

You did help but I have one more question. If you have 2 TD-10s and use a midi file as you suggest, will the sounds that you program on the first TD-10 trigger exactly the same sounds on the second TD-10? In other words, does the midi data save all of the information? If it did, and he wanted to buy a TD-10, could I send him the midi file knowing that he would get the same sounds as originally programmed?
          Ron

Comment

Originally posted by MacDrumster:
            If you have 2 TD-10s and use a midi file as you suggest, will the sounds that you program on the first TD-10 trigger exactly the same sounds on the second TD-10?
            As long as both TD-10s are the same. If the first TD-10 has been tweaked to have different settings, the second TD-10 won't "know" that. It will trigger whatever note it is asked to based on what it has on hand. It will sound that note as instructed, but if it has different parameters, then it does.

If you have two TD-10s, my advice would be to use only sounds and kits that they have in common. Provided both TD-10's are non expanded or expanded, you could also save whatever kit(s) you use in any given batch of stuff for your partner on the first TD-10 to a memory card. Then ship the memory card to him to pop in his TD-10. Viola. Same kits, sounds, settings, etc.

Of course, buying another TD-10 may not be the cheapest solution if you don't already have two.

Comment

I think I'd still rather investigate using two recording units. Any suggestions and could one of them double as a mixer when playing live?
              Ron

Comment

A friend of mine just got a Fostex 8 track (VF08) unit and uses it to record his Baldwin Grand, which is upstairs...then he takes that downstairs to his computer area, and syncs it with the Yamaha DSP Factory (which is basically an O2R n a Pci card, and is much the same as the aw4416) into Cakewalk/Sonar. He has had a few minor issues, but for the most part, it works well.

You could do something like this, though I would not suggest using it as a live mixer as well because it a) doesn't have the full functionality of a mixer and b) is a lot more fragile than most mixers and they usually take a beating.

As far as a td-10, the midi file would trigger the same things as long as the td-10s were both the same revision and both of them had the same "kit" available to them...easy enough to do with a midi sysex file.

My friend bought the Fostex for $525 I think and a td-10 would probably set you back at least $1200-1500. Of course, each could be used for other things, so that may be of some value...your friend may get good use out of the td-10 at his place, where you may only use the Fostex to be able to do tis particular task. Go with the "smart money"

redbrick
                My Updated Website: https://blades.technology

Comment

I've just begun investigating this and the Fostex is one of the recorders I've seen that has several options for file transfer and is relatively inexpensive. If we each got one we could send tracks back and forth on Zip disk or by some other backup and then he could go direct from the Fostex into his Yamaha. We're going to have to do a lot more research before we get anything.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

[This message has been edited by MacDrumster (edited August 21, 2001).]
                  Ron

Comment

transfering midi files back and forth is absolutely the way to go....myself and few of my collaborators have gone this route and it rocks...

the biggest hurdle was making sure your collaborators midi unit has the same midi note assigned to the sample as you did when you originally recorded it...In other words, If my module had C1 assigned to the kick drum, and the module that my collaborator is using has A2 assigned to the kick drum its going to be a mess....

At one point a friend of mine and I were both using the same software sequencer, (Logic), and the same software sampler (EXS 24), and as a result, when you emailed songs back and forth, not only could we track midi drum performances, but actually song screensets in LSO format which included all effects settings, loop settings, tempo....

Comment

Working...
                    X