Sonar XL and Platinum Live Drive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonar XL and Platinum Live Drive???

Anyone using Cakewalk Sonar XL and a Sound Blaster Platinum Live card with the front panel live drive to record? As of now i have the old version of the Platinum Live sound card but i think the system i record on will be using the new 5.1 version with the remote control unit. Im thinking of going with Sonar XL as Cakewalk seems to be a product that is used industry wide and i figure learning what people actually use would be the way to go. Anyone using a combo of a Platinum live card and using Sonar XL as their software? If so is it working well or are there problems they are having? Would i be better of going with something like Cubase instead of Sonar? Any info from someone using these products would definatly come in handy...

I use Cakewalk Pro Audio with the Sound Blaster Plat. card and the Live Drive. The Live Drive is just great. Took me some time to get everything working with the different inputs, and to work perfectly with Cakewalk. And I still have issues with the midi stuff, but I am REALLY dumb with Midi in general.
    Cakewalk is a great product as well. I know you are looking at the top of the line. Do you need that much "stuff"? I am using Pro Audio, and even it is to vast for what I do. Easy to use, easy to run. No conflicts, but I have a dedicated "music" computer, that is ONLY used for music. Let me know if you have any specific question. I just use that computer to record into cakewalk and burn to CD direct. I love this newer technology
    Jason
    :rolleyes:

Comment

Well i have the old Platinum Live card on this machine which i use for my main computer. Were gonna throw together a machine for just music and that one will have the newer Platinum card with the remote. As far as needing that much "stuff" we have 2 of us together as our studio "band" and we will be using 2 different 5 string bass guitars both over a grand each. We use 2 Les Pauls, 1 being the ultimate custom(over 3 grand...) for electrics running thru a never ending stack of effects and racks that cost about as much as a new car... We also have a Roland XP-30 synth with a couple expansion cards thrown into it. Then throw a couple of super top of the line guitar amps including a custom Pierce mega rig and a Trace Elliot Bass rig to top of the walls of sound. The weakest amp we run out of these pushes 600 watts and the loud ones, well they really get obscene. Then were runnin everything thru a Roland digital mixer and a bunch of JBL concert monitors that are runnin off their own 1200 watt power amp. For drums i think were going to go with the new Yamaha electric kit and drum machines and loops etc etc etc. As far as stuff, for us, the more the merrier... If it makes a sound or records one, we want it!

Comment

Not really what I was getting at. I was more talking about the depth of the software taht you are thinking of using. I know with Pro Audio, you can score a movie or Video with the tools included. You can create a game or mivie soundtrack by syncing your audio and Midi tracks to SMPTE formats. You can edit and print notation. You can create streaming audio, and so on and so on.
        It really is a huge peice of software. If you are going to do all of the effects and mixing OUTSIDE of the computer, you really would not need Sonar for that. But, it's up to you. There are other alternatives that might work better for what it sounds like you would like to do??????
        :rolleyes:

Comment

Well ya we definatly want every option we can get out of the software we end up using. Last game developer i worked at(was doing QA for them...) the sound guy was using Cakewalk and a lot of other guys in the industry do also so i figure Sonar XL will continue to be one of the main pieces of software in use industry wide so that is why im considering that as the one to use. Stuff like the ability to do post production work so we can do music for Intro movies and etc is a must have. I dont really see any reason to learn software that isnt used by many people so i figured going with Sonar would be a good choice altho i dont know if for instance Cubase has gotten to the level Cakewalk has when it comes to industry wide use.

Comment

Sonar XL is feature rich, but there have been some issues with the first release. You might consider purchasing Cakewalk 9.0 for now, then upgrade to Sonar (aka:Cakewalk10)after the 2nd or 3rd service release. Cakewalk 9 is good at synching music to video. Plus, you will love it as a v-drummer. You can quickly tweak, erase, or quantize your mistakes without affecting the good parts of your performance! And Cake's tech support is the best inthe business.

Comment

Working...
            X