Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooledit se

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooledit se

Probably more of a generic recording question but, Currently I am using Cooledit se.
    I record a music minus one track. No problem.
    When I go to run drums up on a second track, the first track that I am monitoring on playback gets mixed in with the second track. I have tried to follow all the sends and returns and don't see a path where I am feeding the return back into the sends. Does anyone have any time using the Echo Mia sound card? I am tempting to record into a computer and I'm thinking that it might have somthing to do with the soundcard mixer. Also, I am running everything i.e. drums, percussion, keyboard,(CD player through TD-10) into an analog mixer. then taking 2 sends off the board into the soundcard and 2 returns back from the card.
    I know my explanation is pretty lame because actually, I have tried several different configurations with no success. So I'm hoping that maybe someone in their early stages of digital recording ran into this dillemma also, went DUHH!, then came up with the answer. I believe it's a simple one.
    As usual, Thank you much in advance.
    Kyle

------------------
    Kyle Davids
    Lefty's Hip Pocket
    My Inspiration

Hey, Sky10:

I use Cool Edit Pro SE software also, and I did in fact run into the exact same problem that you're experiencing when I first started recording with it. Your problem is very simply this: you've essentially created a "loop" between your PC and your mixing board that you're utilizing for both monitoring and recording purposes. The negative side effect of this is that any additional tracks that you record beyond the first one will have a cumulative doubling effect per track, i.e. track 1 will bleed into track 2, tracks 1 and 2 will bleed into track 3, tracks 1, 2, and 3 will bleed into track 4, etc.

The only way that you're going to get around this is by not running the Mia's outs into your mixing board. Another option would be to use the "mute" function on any tracks that have something on them so that they don't bleed into the track that you're presently recording on (although this probably isn't a very realistic option). Basically, you're going to have to find another way to monitor your playback other than running the Mia's outputs through your mixer.

I use a Lexicon Core2 soundcard with my PC. A lot of people have bagged on the Core2 for different reasons, but it has one distinct advantage over any other sound card I've seen in its price range: the Core2 comes equipped with a 4-in/8-out breakout box. Where this is really cool for me is in the fact that I can use up to five different monitoring sources for record and playback. On my system Outputs 1 and 2 go to a Behringer Powerplay headphone amp for record monitoring, Outputs 3 and 4 go to the PA system for loud full-range playback, Outputs 5 and 6 go to a stereo receiver for "home stereo"-quality playback, and Outputs 7 and 8 toggle between studio reference speakers and the little ASound multimedia speakers that came with the PC. All that I have to do is configure the track(s) with whichever outputs I want to hear them routed through.

The added benefits of this are twofold: first, using my system as an example, you could have up to four separate tracks playing back through four different sources simultaneously. Secondly, you could place the speaker pairs that you're using in several different places throughout any given room to achieve some really cool surround-like audiophile effects.

So, my suggestion to you at this time would be to run the outs of your Mia into your home stereo receiver and monitor through the stereo speakers. You'll be getting a much truer representation of what your recorded product is going to sound like through the average Joe's system anyway, and that can be a big help when it comes to things like adjusting frequencies, etc.

I hope I answered your question. Sorry to be so long-winded. Feel free to post if you have any other questions on this matter.....

Cheers!
    TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Mick, forgive me for laughing, but I am not laughing at you, I am laughing at myself.
      Talking about "Brainfart"! That is absolutly right! There is no reason why I have to return from the card back into the mixer in the first place. DUHH!I had it set in my head that these four lines have got to pass through this mixer! Yes, you have definetly answered my question. And with the least amount of emmbaressment possible. Thank you. As far as your setup, real sweet.
      I'm thinking that I will eventually wish I went with a breakout box. Thats if I remember not to put everything into an endless loop. LOL!
      The only other problem I have right now is a resounding hum coming down from one of my TD-10s. I'm figuring it is a lifted ground somwhere along the line. Although, there are dimmer lights on the same circuit as the modules. Would an APC possibly resolve it?
      I'm babbling...
      Thanks much Mick.
      The original problem I originally posted is completly fixed.
      I owe you one.
      Regards,
      Kyle

------------------
      Kyle Davids
      Lefty's Hip Pocket
      My Inspiration

Comment

Glad I could help, Kyle.

I wish I knew more about the in and outs of grounding and noise cancellation than I do. I know I've read some pretty good posts about it on this site. A search under "grounding" may be useful.

Also, as a Cool Edit Pro user, I encourage you to check out the CEP forum at Syntrillium's website. You will almost always get a reply from Syntrillium Support directly! Very cool and very informative. In fact, they helped me through a bit of a "brainfart" I was having myself a while back.....
        TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

Mick, you seem pretty knowledgeable on the subject of interfaces and computer editing software. Have you had the occasion to put your hands on a Roland VM-3100? How about the E-magic software that's bundled with the V-studios and the Studio Pack? If so, can you compare and contrast with other similar software such as Pro-Tools Free version? Is it as versitile? Plug-Ins? Up-Gradeable? Are there any product-specific features that are note-worthy since the software is supposed to be "customized" for Roland products? I'm about to throw $3700 for the new VS-2480 unless i can get some feedback on this Studio Pack to see if it will suit my needs. If you, or anyone else out there knows anything about it, please let me know. i plan to use it with my Vs and my XP-60 with imported .wav files. ANY info would be appreciated. (love this site....)
          Da Chazman

Comment

Hey, chaz:

Honestly, I consider myself a bit of a late bloomer and student when it comes to this whole digital recording trip. My first exposure to it was several years ago when my band did an ADAT-recorded demo that was mixed down and edited using one of the first ProTools-equipped studios here in town. After seeing firsthand just what you can do with digital recording, I've been a convert ever since!

I've never really messed with the Roland V-Studio stuff. I could never quite see exactly what advantages it had over a PC-based system, especially when you take prices into effect. In fact, a buddy of mine put his VS-880 in the closet after witnessing a recording session my band did using an Echo Layla interface and Cool Edit Pro software, which I wouldn't even consider to be really "high-end" gear.

chaz, I guess what I in turn am curious about is what would make you prefer the VS stuff over a PC-based system. $3700.00 is a lot of money, and I can't help but think about the fact that you could buy a damn good PC, interface, and software with that much to spend.

Could you possibly post back and detail some of the things you consider to be advantages of the VS-2480 over a PC-based system? I'd be very interested in your opinions on that.....

P.S: Going off the information on your post, I'd say I'm playing catch-up with you just a little! I'm getting an XP-30 next week and it ships with SoundDiver software, so that'll be cool. Heck, I only just got my Cakewalk software about three weeks ago ....

Cheers!

[This message has been edited by Mick Wade (edited April 13, 2001).]
            TD-30 / SPD-SX

Comment

I went the Roland VS route and its OK, except for three grand or so you could have a really killer DAW setup....

the best audio/midi sequencers I have worked with for e-drums are Cubase and Logic...there are functions that allow you to record your performance as Midi, and split up the tracks of your kit, (snare, bass, toms, cymbals, etc.)..allowing you to tweak each portion of your kit I found totally cool..

another convenience...loading patch banks and having flip menus on your computer screen to view and sort through your patches..

Comment

Mick- Believe me, i have been agonizing for months about which route to go, VS or computer. I have seen the advantages in both, but i do tend to agree that the computer-based route is the most cost-effective and versitile way to go. The advantages to the VS stuff is #1, portability. which is a factor in my case, since i would like to use it in my rig for live recording at the gig. #2, I also am interested in doing some audio for video work on the side, and although I'm aware that some DAWs have SMPTE inputs and word clock, they are scarce in the Echo and Digi price range. #3 The VS can be used as a live main mixer for an "intermediate" sized band since it is capable of 16 track simultaneous recording. It would be nice for me to have the ability to simply hit record if the moment inspires me. And last, but not least, #4 Video port for VGA monitor, along with ports for included mouse and optional keyboard. This thing is all in one! And portable! (you know of any other similar products capable of 16 trk hard disk recording at 96Khz?) All balanced connectors, COSM modeling (which we ALL love!) built in effects, with 3 more spaces for expansion boards! so long ram-robbing plug-ins! not to mention DSP algorithims for mastering! Whew! Sound like a salesman huh? With all that being said, may i re-itterate that i still believe that computer-based is the way to go.....but not by much! Someone please enlighten me on the VM-3100 and E-magic software! P.S.- I will be sending a pic of my rig if anyone wants to check it out. Just waitin for my V-cymbals to arrive. You guys all got um yet? Let's compare notes after we beat the hell out of them! later dudes! (I appreciate your input too Captain54!)
                Da Chazman

Comment

the agonizing never stops with gear, trust me...

just decide on one route, and go with it...

I've never used the vm 3100, but I have heard different comments on the vs-planet users forum on the logic vs software, mostly negative....either its too slow, too cumbersome, crash prone, etc..

One of the things that sold me on the DAW was the cost-effectiveness of hard drive space...40 gig hard drives are now around $150, ram is cheap also...

Bottom line is they're both home recording, or higher end project recording systems...

Comment

O.K. captain, I'm sold! DAW it is! Now, i've been looking at a company called Wavedigital. heard of them? If not, check out www.wavedigital.com. Are there other sources to check out for complete systems like this that you know of? 900mhz or so, dual 40 gig hard drives, 256meg ram, built-in CD burner,in a rackmount chassis? Hot-swapable would be extra cool. Oh yeah, and e-mail and internet access too. $1800-$2500 at Wavedigital, but it's the only real source i've found offering this many options or custom configurations. If there are more out there to check out,(and i'm sure there is), turn me on to them please. I need to do a little comparison shopping. I got to tell ya man, you guys have been more help to me so far than most any other place i've asked. Mostly just ignorance on thier part I presume. thanks again Cappy! rock-on!
                    Da Chazman

Comment

Dude, why can't you do what WaveDigital is doing..(or Soundchaser, etc.)...yourself..??

Even their basic systems are not cheap, but yet the cost of the components is coming down..go figure...

You have to be very careful with PC systems, I found...compatibility is not that easy....

What I did was go to the WaveDigital, the Soundchaser site amongst others, and I compiled a list of all the components they put it their systems, (motherboard, graphics card, sound card, hard drive, processor,) I bought them myself and I found a computer guy in the paper and paid him to install everything and put it together...

The other way to go is just go MacIntosh...
                      G4's are going for pretty cheap lately from www.macmall.com, and if I had to do it all over again that's the route I would go...
                      Hell, with the new firewire audio interfaces coming out, you can even get a decent iMac to be a pretty damn good music making machine...

I'm pretty satisfied with my decision to go the DAW route....although it wasnt an easy route at first....getting a PC system stable was a trick and a half....

But the convenience of having CD burning, mastering, with either WaveLab or Cooledit, and unlimited sequencing, audio editing, softsamplers, softsynths, plugins, etc. all in one box is extremely convenient if you have the patience to all get it working right..

Comment

Working...
                      X