Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

from .td1 to cakewalk midi format?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• from .td1 to cakewalk midi format?

What a great utility vkitrans... lee deserves flowers from us all.

I hope my question is an easy one to answer. I want to record td10 (w/TDW1) midi performance in cakewalk, and be able to use the sounds from my TD-10 with the recording, possibly be able to shuffle around which ride cymbal is sounded for a given trigger after the recording of performance is over.

Obviously we could use the audio out straight into microphone inputs into the computer to record, getting all the sounds from the td-10, but then midi editing is out and the performance file will be a huge fat pig.

so:
    I have not been able to figure out how to get the sounds from the TD-10 into an "instrument" or usable bank in cakewalk. I am obviously new at this. I have my kits on my hard drive as individual .td1 files, but this file type is not supported by cakewalk. please tell me I am missing an obvious and easy step here someplace.

thanks very much

I'm not 100 percent sure I understand the question, but I don't think that you can do what you're asking. You'd need to record all the sounds in and use a software sampler of some kind.

The way I record MIDI is that I record everything MIDI (duh...) into the computer.

<text="#FF3333">TD-10 MIDI out => Computer MIDI in</text>

Then what I do is play the MIDI recording back through the TD-10

<text="#FF3333">Computer MIDI out => TD-10 MIDI in</text>

and record it at the same time with any duplexing sound card.

<text="#FF3333">TD-10 AUDIO out => Computer AUDIO in</text>

That way, you have complete digital recording, as well as the ability to edit all your midi stuff.
    And then...
    and then you're all set.

Love,
    BINARY
    [email protected]

now let's see if my tags worked....

[This message has been edited by BINARY (edited September 12, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by BINARY (edited September 12, 2000).]

Comment

gotcha, that's what I've seen people do. I colaborate with another guy in another state, he records some guitar stuff, sends to me as wav file, I do a drum part, send it back, etc... the files (to get any kinda good sound) are not small at all, a midi file is way smaller. what I would like to do is somehow get all the cool sounds from the td10 into my pc as patches then I can send him a file of all the patches for a given drum part and the midi sequence itself, he can fart around with the midi events if he wants to, pick a different patch, etc... something like that.
      I know that I could do this by recording ALL the sounds in the td-10, one at a time, as wav files into my computer, then use them as patches. losing loads of the feel stuff that the td-10 has built into it. I was hoping that this would be as simple as another translator program to take the td-1 file, break it out into all the different patches, retain the great responsiveness (somehow) of the td-10, and let me "dial up " my own drumsets in the cakewalk software after I am done performing the part.

wow, long message, sorry

thanks for the interest in my tiny issues, any other ideas or is this just stupid

Comment

Not a long message at all...

Ok dude, I see where you're coming from, but all I'm saying is for the trouble you'd go through to get your guitarist all set up with the sounds and some kind of soundbank for Cake to use and to set them up to respond to the MIDI notes?

Probably less effort to send an MP3 of the file, maybe ring in at 5 megs...?

I like the idea, though. I'll investigate it more, and see if I can't figure something out. Seems like something that could be of use on several levels.

BINARY
        [email protected]

Comment

This guitarist is my brother, he is an uncontrollable control freak. ok, not so bad, but hey, playing around with a drum part in cakewalk is pretty damn fun. he can't play drums, I can (sorta) and he loves to fiddle. Me too. We thought it'd be fun to shuffle snare sounds around after the file has been saved and emailed without him buying a TD-10. What do I get? mp3s that I don't know how to bring into cakewalk.

Another great reason to do things this way (as a separate midi file and patches) is that he knows how to mix pretty well, and I definately do not. Once I turn my drum part into an MP3 or wav file, he can't adjust levels of snare to cymbal to tom any more. stuck with my guesswork. I dunno, it's not a liver transplant or anything, but it would be pretty fun for us to do things this way

so: thanks for the responses, I will be seriously pumped up if I can or you can or anybody else can figure out how to do this. If it is me, I will surely post

Comment

I do somewhat of the same thing in cakewalk.
            I send mp3 over the internet, my buddy guitarist takes it and,converts the mp3 to a wave file then inserts it into cakewalk . Easy and much less time and memory consuming then sending the actual wave file. No problems with syncing either . It is nice to have both the midi and the wave drums to mess around with in cakewalk.

Comment

cool.
              here's the thing, squid (did I just say that?):

Do you really WANT your bro messing with your stuff? Tell him guitarists aren't drummers for a reason, you know?

I guess if you're in that position, I'd do something like this:

Maybe you get cakewalk on your computer all set up to record your MIDI patterns, right?
              Then, you'll have to record all the drum sounds out of your TD-10, sound by sound, which is lame.
              Another choice is to pop down to Guitar Center or similar and plop down the 30 bucks for one of those CDs with different drum sounds on it, that way he can fool around with whatever sounds he wants to.

Then, your bro gets set up with any software sampler type program that can read basic MIDI, I'm thinking Gigasampler off the top of my head, but there might be something better.

That's what I'm thinking right now, but there might be some better alternative.

If he bought a drum brain, you could both just get cakewalk, and he could interface his brain with cake, and modify it like that....?

BINARY
              [email protected]

Comment

I already tried the "just buy a damn Td10 ya cheap bastard" approach. the boy wants to buy a car or a new mixer or something silly like that. what is a brother to do, you try to teach and lead by example, and they ignore you.
                I tried recording snare sounds out of the td-10 as wave files using the mic outs on the td-10 to my sound card, seems OK, just flat, and eh? sounds like a damn digital drum part. so looks like I am going to learn how to mix.
                It still seems like all that data from a snare hit (velocity, location, etc.) is just data, and the way that the td10 responds to it is just data processing and a look-up table of some kind. I guess that if someone could build the software td10 that could do all the sounds the same way that the hardware one could, duh, roland would sell fewer td10s now wouldn't they. I wouldn't do it if I was them.

thanks for your input binary, I appreciate your help in getting to this (probably) obvious conclusion.

Comment

The best way to do that is to download the tds ins definition file from roland if you are not already using it. In cakewalk propertys for each track you have to match your midi output input up with the ins definiton file. This will allow you to record tds midi and then play it back, choosing different drumsets. If you don't like one of the instruments the set is using, change it on the tds (cymbals, hihat, snare) Hope this helps.
                  Originally posted by squid:
                  What a great utility vkitrans... lee deserves flowers from us all.

I hope my question is an easy one to answer. I want to record td10 (w/TDW1) midi performance in cakewalk, and be able to use the sounds from my TD-10 with the recording, possibly be able to shuffle around which ride cymbal is sounded for a given trigger after the recording of performance is over.

Obviously we could use the audio out straight into microphone inputs into the computer to record, getting all the sounds from the td-10, but then midi editing is out and the performance file will be a huge fat pig.

so:
                  I have not been able to figure out how to get the sounds from the TD-10 into an "instrument" or usable bank in cakewalk. I am obviously new at this. I have my kits on my hard drive as individual .td1 files, but this file type is not supported by cakewalk. please tell me I am missing an obvious and easy step here someplace.

thanks very much

------------------
                  Skip LaRue
                  The Digitaljamnasium
                  Skip LaRue
                  The Digitaljamnasium

Comment

Working...
                  X