Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recording an album.. vdrums or acoustic drums?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording an album.. vdrums or acoustic drums?

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and hope you could give some information to help me make a decision... i'm involves in a production of a semi-electronical instrumental album. The project is in it's final stages and we hooked up with a fairly big UK producer and we currently have 3 options regarding the drumming/programming :

1) use only live drumming (and afterwards triggering samples with them of-course)
    2) using v-drums
    3) use only programming (no "live played drums")

i don't know much about the 2nd option, i understand from what i've read that if I am going to use the v-drums i won't be using their samples (since they are limited and compressed and there's no real reason to use them in an album).
    so what i'll be getting from the v-drums is midi and then i'll be able to do alot with the midi using BFD or DFHS.

I would like to get some info from experienced sound-engineers who have worked with those 3 methods to tell me what are the disadvantages of using the v-drums. our album has electronic character so even if i would record live drums they will still have to be manipulised to get a bit electric sound to fit the music...

if money is not an issue (well.. it is but i'm willing to invest whatever needed to get the best result) what options do you think i should use?

and one last question - could you guys reffer me to some information about what albums were recorded using v-drums (and BDF/DFHS) ?? is it common to use them these days or are the pros still using acoustic drums on their albums and than changing their sound?
    does it matter if the sound engineer has the acoustic sound source or maybe he does so many changes to these sound sources that it doesn't really matter if he gets a live recorded acoustic sound source or not?

thanks,

julian.

and one last question - could you guys reffer me to some information about what albums were recorded using v-drums (and BDF/DFHS) ?? is it common to use them these days or are the pros still using acoustic drums on their albums and than changing their sound?
    There was a good article in the February issue of Pro Sound News about producer/engineers using drum soft samplers in the studio. Most in that article were using BFD or Reason. I also remember an article in Mix Magazine a while back about Travis Barker using V-drums on a recent album.

Although it's encouraging to see more pros using e-drums triggering samples in the studio, most engineers prefer to record acoustic drums because it gives them the widest range of options.

- Rick

Comment

thanks

thanks for the links, i'll look into them...

Best regards,
      Julian.

Comment

but what about album references?
        is there any information out there where v-drums were used lately in albums?
        there are alot of albums i hear that i'm not sure if the drums were programmed, played on acoustic drums, or on vdrums...
        let's take madonna confessions for example...
        is there any info about it??

Comment

I think one of Madonna's producers was one of the people interviewed in the PSN article I mentioned.

- Rick

Comment

Mesuggah's Catch 33 was done with DKFH.
            Hart Giga Pro w/ TD12

Gibson Les Paul Classic -> JSX 212 Combo

Comment

in a studio, time is money, so, sometimes if a drummer is used, drumkit split in DAW
              and then lower quality drumsounds replaced w samples using drumagog/aptrigga
              (edit: or other replacement plugins).
              sometimes midi is recorded from a drummer, to be edited/quantized, because it reduces
              the amount of notes/velocity's that would have to be programmed by hand.
              sometimes a hybrid method of midi recording and midi programming is used to create
              some amazing -and sometimes "unplayable"- tracks..
              but top-40/ "commercial" pop nowadays, is mostly midi/samples, i'm quite sure.
              Last edited by Ericdrumz; 03-14-07, 12:30 AM.
              | Diy Roland/Yamaha e-kit | Sonor/Gretsch a-kit | Zildjian/Sabian/Ufip cymbals

Comment

but top-40/ "commercial" pop nowadays, is mostly midi/samples, i'm quite sure.
                While it's true that many engineers replace their kick and snare with samples, I think you'll have a hard time finding too many Top 40 songs that don't have an acoustic hat and overhead mics.

- Rick

Comment

Julian,
                  could u explain more about why u won't use the internal samples in vdrums ? what did u mean they are "compressed" ? does it mean their recordings are not really good ?

Comment

Working...
                  X