Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our vBulletin Talk section for answers to vBulletin related FAQs.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any music recording software I can just buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whitten View Post

I think that's a very semantic answer. It IS effectively a subscription. I am a long time Pro Tools user and gave up on the money go round just over a year ago.
    The perpetual license allows one year of support including updates. After that one year you are no longer eligible for updates or support. So paying such a large fee up front is a bit of a gamble.
    This idea that you can lock your computer into a static time capsule is a bit of a fantasy and not something most people can do.
    In my work I edit photographs and video, as well as mostly making music using a DAW. You only need an Apple update to make a lot of your software inoperable without an update from the software company. Of course updates are optional, but when some video software requires the latest Mac OS, it's tough NOT to update your video tools because it will cripple your music software.
    I stuck with the same legacy Pro Tools version for a few years, then I was co-working with someone who was sending me PT sessions from a much more recent PT version. It turned out the sessions weren't completely compatible and I had issues opening his session, then he had issues opening the session when I sent it back. So I ended up biting the bullet and updating.
    My latest version of PT ran out about a year ago and they wanted $199 to update it, so I just switched to UAD Luna - which is actually free.
    My photography software is Capture one. It is not 'subscription', but every single year they offer an update for around $99. I could have stuck with Capture One from a few years ago, but the latest version always offers better performance, easier to use tools etc. I pay the $99 each year and YES regard it as a subscription (non semantically).
    Sorry, but hard disagree. If you have the option to keep using the old version of the software, it is in no way a subscription.

If you want to upgrade to the latest & greatest (in either your OS or your applications), then you choose to pay for an upgrade. That's fundamentally different than a subscription, where you have no option: the day your current subscription expires, you lose access to your tools.

The equivalent would be saying that buying all music is a subscription: because if I want to upgrade from an LP to a cassette to a CD to an mp3, I have to pay again.
    Last edited by bpaluzzi; 04-30-21, 09:30 AM.
    https://www.instagram.com/bpaluzzi/

ad5 // SPD-SX // DTXMulti12 // EAD10 // TM-6 // TM-1 // RT-Mics // SPD-One

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post

Tell you what. Get Cakewalk. No "subscription bs". And indeed. £0 to buy. Totally free. As in beer. With every function you ever need. And free loops and free samples and free VSTs (including a 20+ kit drum one). Been around for decades. And free. And no subscription. You're welcome.

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk
      I also agree with this recommendation. I had purchased a lot of their software in the past, and now their flagship is free.
      Last edited by Vectron; 04-30-21, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Ha this keeps going and the original poster has not been back and commented at all. It’s time to quit.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by bpaluzzi View Post

Sorry, but hard disagree. If you have the option to keep using the old version of the software, it is in no way a subscription.
          Yes, that's why I said 'semantics'. Unless you have one dedicated computer only being used for music, it is nigh on impossible not to upgrade now and then. As I said, it happens to me when I'm working with someone else and our Pro Tools set ups aren't compatible, or if I need to make a video and the video editor needs updating, which then impacts on my OS, which impacts on my DAW.

Comment

Yes, that's why I said 'semantics'. Unless you have one dedicated computer only being used for music, it is nigh on impossible not to upgrade now and then. As I said, it happens to me when I'm working with someone else and our Pro Tools set ups aren't compatible, or if I need to make a video and the video editor needs updating, which then impacts on my OS, which impacts on my DAW.
            That still doesn't make it a subscription. It's 100% your decision to upgrade. You may feel like you _need_ to upgrade, but that doesn't make it a subscription in any way.

Comment

Maybe you don't understand the word 'semantic'. If you want to argue cold hard facts, Then yes there is one way you can own Pro Tools outright, but they lock you out of the system after only one year. The vast majority of people therefore go the subscription route. Do you think Avid makes it easy for you to own PT outright, or do they purposely manufacture ways to force most people to subscribe.
              I love Capture One, but as by clockwork they update the software annually around Christmas. Offering streamlined workflows, support for new cameras, and powerful new tools, I regard it as a subscription. Semantically speaking it is NOT a subscription.
              UAD Luna is a free DAW and all the numerous updates in the year it's been out have been free updates. It is definitely NOT a subscription.

Comment

Maybe you don't understand the word 'semantic'. If you want to argue cold hard facts, Then yes there is one way you can own Pro Tools outright, but they lock you out of the system after only one year. The vast majority of people therefore go the subscription route. Do you think Avid makes it easy for you to own PT outright, or do they purposely manufacture ways to force most people to subscribe.
                I love Capture One, but as by clockwork they update the software annually around Christmas. Offering streamlined workflows, support for new cameras, and powerful new tools, I regard it as a subscription. Semantically speaking it is NOT a subscription.
                UAD Luna is a free DAW and all the numerous updates in the year it's been out have been free updates. It is definitely NOT a subscription.
                Sorry, but you're the one misusing "semantic" here.

They absolutely do NOT lock you out after one year. That's the entire point. They stop giving you updates, but the software that you purchased will work forever.

It's dead simple to get a perpetual license of Pro Tools: https://shop.avid.com/ccrz__ProductD...sku=DYNAP20000. (or, you can just search Google for "pro tools perpetual license", it's the first result from Google. If you'd rather buy from a store, it's available at Sweetwater: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...cense-download

Subscriptions:
                - require you to pay every month/year, regardless of if there's any updates (or even regardless of whether or not you used the software at all)
                - leave you without any working software if you stop paying

Neither of those things are true about a perpetual license.

With Capture One, what's your alternative? That they just stop developing / making improvements? Ship one piece of software and never update it again? Or do you just want updates for free forever?

Again, this is like saying that buying music at the record store is a subscription, because if you want to upgrade from an LP to a cassette, you need to pay more money.

Luna is free because it's an incentive to get you to buy into the premium hardware ecosystem that is required to run it (the same reason MacOS is free).
                Last edited by bpaluzzi; 05-04-21, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I'm not convinced the OP was talking about a DAW.
                  Since he never came back it must not have been that important anyway.
                  "It makes sense if you dont think about it"

Mimic Pro, SPD-SX, 2-QSC K-10s, K-sub, Yamaha mixer, and a bunch of other expensive cool things!

Comment

Working...
                  X