Welcome! If this is your first visit, you will need to register to participate.

DO NOT use symbols in usernames. Doing so will result in an inability to sign in & post!

If you cannot sign in or post, please visit our Forum Talk section for answers to frequently asked questions.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recording multi track (separate the individual drums) with Logic Pro X using TD 17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recording multi track (separate the individual drums) with Logic Pro X using TD 17

Hi - I am a BRAND NEW Roland TD17 KVX user and figuring out recording. How can I record multi track (have the individual drums separated out) in Logic Pro X? I have figured out to record one audio track, but would like the ability to maybe tweak them. It sounds like this would be through midi and I haven't been able to use multi tracks on the set this way - obviously missing a step here.
    If anyone can help and break this down for me, much appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Record the midi into logic
    split the midi for each drum component into separate tracks.
    Mute all tracks except one
    Send midi back to module and record output
    fo the same for each component until you gave the full kit.

I don’t have a Mac or a td17 so if the td17 can output more than a stereo audio pair over usb there are other options
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Hello,

I thought I would share another option here as I purchased a 17KVX last week and was trying to figure out how to do this in my studio. Recently, I stumbled on to an approach to get multitrack recording with the TD17 in Logic Pro vis USB over midi without the need to purchase a separate plug in.

I can not take credit for this myself, I watched a quick video that showed how to accomplish this. The solution requires leveraging the “producer kits” in Logic (make sure you download) and creating a “stack”. The stack is created after you select the producer kit and then enable VDRUMs vs GM midi.

The stack is a track that will separate out overheads, kick in, out, various Toms, HIghhats and other channels in MULTI track channels in Logic enabling separate control of the drum pieces....The only thing I can’ t figure out yet is how to separate the crash’s and rides (they all come out together on a combined overhead track).

Here is the video I watched on how to do this, it’s really straight forward and it works great! You also have many kits in Logic you can use.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9PkSXM3PU&t=11s

There are 2 solutions in this video, the second solution provided is the multitrack one. There is value in understanding how to accomplish the first solution quickly and replicating that before attempt the multitrack option in my humble opinion and experience,

Best wishes!
      Last edited by Kcolella; 01-03-21, 08:54 AM.

Comment

yes, that worked - I did end up finding some mapping issues, but figured that out with another video about using the scripture to change the midi assignments,.seems that when I hit my pads there midi notes don't exactly correspond to the ones that show up in the logic track producer kits that I choose. It seems to have mostly impacted closed vs open hi hat, sometimes the snare and sometimes one tom. I created a mapping fixed and saved that to load when I choose the scripture.

thanks for the great advice

Comment

Working...
        X