Beginner Recording - Need Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Recording - Need Help!

Hello. I am a drummer and have always spent my time drumming...I am not a sound tech or a recording engineer. But I’ve realized these are skills I need to learn quickly. Someone sent me a guitar and vocal track on a WAV file. I need to put drums over the track. I have Roland pads and cymbals with an Alesis Strike Pro module and a TD-12 as a slave module (for extra cymbals). Can anyone tell me what equipment/tools I need to record my drums to a WAV file? Do I need to use a laptop or can I use an IPad?

I appreciate any help. Thank you!

Ben

Simple method #1:
    Supplied tracks on some form of music player --> Audio in on TD12 --> audio out on TD12 --> some form of recording device,

So it depends on what "recording device" you wanna use. 1970s tape recorder / tablet + an app / laptop and "DAW" software, e.g. Cakewalk (free), etc etc etc.

There's a million ways to crack this depending on what you have, what you wanna spend and the end-game. e.g: my many posted "best" method:

Stages 1-4.fw.png
    Last edited by electrodrummer; 10-12-20, 10:12 AM.
    *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
    Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Thanks for the help! I own an iPad but not a laptop so if you have suggestions on what to use to record from my Alesis Strike Pro to that and what software I need I would appreciate that. I am horrible at trying to understand this type of stuff.

I should also mention that I have ProTools that I purchase about 5 years ago but never was able to figure it out and it has sat in the box for years so that shows you my lack of experience and subsequent frustration with trying to record.
      Last edited by BGreene; 10-11-20, 11:38 PM.

Comment

You can sync video and audio in iMovie. Search YouTube for tutorials.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Originally posted by BGreene View Post
          Thanks for the help! I own an iPad but not a laptop so if you have suggestions on what to use to record from my Alesis Strike Pro to that and what software I need I would appreciate that. I am horrible at trying to understand this type of stuff.
          If just like using a 1970s tape recorder. Just in software.

So - pick audio an recording app on your iPad. Look in your "app store" or whatever the Apple people call it. There must be 10,000s of them, if not one already installed.

You might (probably) need a a stereo audio interface to plug the drums into. In the world of Apple with its plethora of proprietary dongles and cables this might depend on the model. iRig etc.

On a PC, you could simply start with a $20 behringer. Up to you,
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Working...
          X