Which amplifier for studio?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which amplifier for studio?

Hey guys, whats a small amplifier for studio use that would be able replicate much oof the feel of the Edrum, more so than headphones.. Is there such a thing? Or is it best to stick to headphones.

I could never get used to the sticks sound on rubber pads or mesh, trying to cover it with more power to the speakers.... It can get pretty loud. I have been using IEMs and it's perfect for me.
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH
    Kit Pix http://vdrums.com/forum/album.php?albumid=613

My new venture, HiEnd Speakers. : voglosounds.com

Comment

There are lots of drum monitors available on the market. I personally don't use one because one the main reasons I play electronic drums and not acoustics is... the loudness. And, as mentioned above, if you want to overcome the stick noise from your edrums, you will need to crank your monitors pretty hard.
      So I use good isolating headphones (I have the Sennheiser HD 380 Pros) or IEMs (the KZ ZS10 Pros are a very good deal).

But if acoustic volume is not an issue, here's a decent video on some of the available options for a studio amp/monitor.

Last edited by monospace; 08-24-20, 12:20 AM.
      Module: TD-9v2. Kick: KD-8, pedal: Iron Cobra with KAT Silent Strike beater. Hats: VH-10 with Tama Swivel hi-hat stand. Snare: PD-120. Toms: 3 x PD-80R. Crashes: CY-12RC, CY-14. Ride: CY-15R. Aux: BT-1.

Comment

I would stick with headphones. I can use monitors but headphones are preferred for no stick noise and clarity. Personal choice though and I’m sure others prefer monitors.
        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Here's the daily posted rules.
          • Home: headphones (or a PA if you *really* need speakers)
          • Rehearsal: a PA
          • Live: a PA
          Minimum of 12" woofers, speakers on stands, tweeters at ear height.
          As for make and model - that depends on your budget - you didn't say
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Hey guys, thought id ask again, as we want to see if there is new advise.... In rehearsal, under $2k (hopefully much cheaper,unless it makes a huge difference), what would be the recommendation for getting the closest experience to an acoustic drumkit... (its fine if its similarly loud, and possibly even preferred). We just want to have the ease of recording and editing provided by midi, but still have the feeling of playing in acoustic kit.

Also, Is mono or stereo better for this usage??

Guitar: will go through guitar amp
            Bass: will go through bass amp
            Voice: PA
            Drums: (same PA + sub? or is there something better?)
            Last edited by nyandres; 10-28-20, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by perceval View Post
              I could never get used to the sticks sound on rubber pads or mesh, trying to cover it with more power to the speakers.... It can get pretty loud. I have been using IEMs and it's perfect for me.
              +1 what Perceval said

I just added a "tactile drum monitoring system" (fancy title Porter and Davies uses for butt-kicker). With that, a headphone amp (On-Stage HA4000) and KZ KS10 Pro IEM's (with New Bee foam tips - got that "tip" from Luke of the eDrum Workshop on YouTube) I think I'm as close as it gets to the feel of an acoustic drum kit.

I have excellent FRFR monitors but if I turn them up loud enough to mask the sound of the sticks hitting the cymbals and mesh pads it's too loud.
              Last edited by dsteinschneider; 10-29-20, 11:26 AM.
              Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Originally posted by nyandres View Post
                Hey guys, thought id ask again, as we want to see if there is new advise.... In rehearsal, under $2k (hopefully much cheaper,unless it makes a huge difference), what would be the recommendation for getting the closest experience to an acoustic drumkit... (its fine if its similarly loud, and possibly even preferred). We just want to have the ease of recording and editing provided by midi, but still have the feeling of playing in acoustic kit.

Also, Is mono or stereo better for this usage??

Guitar: will go through guitar amp
                Bass: will go through bass amp
                Voice: PA
                Drums: (same PA + sub? or is there something better?)
                PA plus sub works great and you need something for the other musicians to play to unless you are all on headphones. I have a QSC sub and also a smaller EV 12 inch sub zxa1 that is good for smaller venues. The QSC PA speakers are the closest to studio monitor or headphone sound that I have used for the price.

Comment

With a budget of 1-2k then you should definitely consider a EV Evolve 50 - for direct solo monitor. Unless you need more than 127 dB peak or are looking at a more permanent installation. Do a bass crawl to find out the best placement if it isn't thumping enough. Either way, that budget can be put to very good use with careful consideration of your needs.

Yes stereo is always a bonus, but its very dependant on your rehearsal space, listening position and volume. I think getting a 2nd PA speaker is more advantageous for increasing audio coverage than gaining stereo sound, when talking about rehearsal sessions though. Stereo only really works best when it's the only PA in the room, otherwise you spend more time mixing levels when everybody has their own monitor.

Example setups e.g. 2x EV Evolve 30M or 2x Yamaha DXR8 mkII with a DXS12mkII sub or 2x ZxA1-90B with a EV ZxA1 sub. These would be placed behind you, against a wall - so that you can use them as your monitor and for the band to hear - but you would NOT hook up the voice in this situation, as you would get into feedback trouble in a normal "performance to a crowd" placement scenario. Unless you are rehearsing in a circle where you have much more freedom over the positioning.

Tldr; the vocalist should ideally have their own floor monitor pointed at them, with a cardioid microphone directly in line with it.

If you use a mixer though, you could take a 2nd output from the guitar, bass and voice, into your PA at a low level, if you wanted, as it would potentially help you track better, but be careful with feedback.

Otherwise you could build a setup where the whole band is playing towards your PA system on the opposite side of the room, then you can go to 11 with the mics without an issue. But with distance comes latency and mud. I would probably wear IEMs as well.
                  ◾ Diamond Drums 4pc in Di-Noc carbon ◾ MegaDRUM
                  ◾ Roland UA-1010 / cymbals / KT-10 (x2) ◾ Tama / Gibraltar hardware ◾ JBL LSR3 Series 2.1 Monitoring ◾ Pearl THMP-1
                  PA Comparison Sheet

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Warren View Post

PA plus sub works great and you need something for the other musicians to play to unless you are all on headphones. I have a QSC sub and also a smaller EV 12 inch sub zxa1 that is good for smaller venues. The QSC PA speakers are the closest to studio monitor or headphone sound that I have used for the price.
                    I'm always looking for a local EV ZXA1 12" sub on Reverb and ebay
                    Ludwig Accent 5 piece kit | UFO Drums ebridges, 3 ply mesh heads and rim protectors | Yamaha PCY135 on Ludwig stand with DIY hall effect sensor | Yamaha PCY155 ride | DIY Pintech 2 zone crashes with Goedrums piezo's - Myrk membranes| eDRUMin ED10 | Cantabile VST host | Superior Drummer and Jamstix kits | Alto TS115a monitors | IK ARC 3

Comment

Originally posted by nyandres View Post
                      Hey guys, whats a small amplifier for studio use that would be able replicate much oof the feel of the Edrum, more so than headphones.. Is there such a thing? Or is it best to stick to headphones.
                      QSC. If the area is moderate in size, a K10.2 is great. And a K12.2 will do wonders. If you must have a sub, the KS212c is very nice. And I think they still offer a 6yr warranty.

Comment

Working...
                      X