Recording levels in Audacity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording levels in Audacity

I use Audacity to record my drums from the TD9 when I play along to mp3 that I have imported. The laptop is connected to the module via a Focusrite interface. How can I lower the volume of the track and increase the drum levels when recording both? When I listen back the track is too loud and kinda drowns the drums out.
    No matter what I set the interface levels or module levels to the ratio between track volume and drums remains the same. I am a newbie in Audacity so it might be really easy but for the life of me I cannot work it out.
    Equipment: Roland TD9V2 module, TD9 rack, PDX105 snare, 3 x PDX8 toms. CY8 cymbals, CY15 ride, VH11 hi-hat, KD-10 kick pad

Try another free DAW software. Audacity is very poor in my opinion. Ok so you levels are probably wrong but if you record them into a multitrack then at least you can balance them out. Can’t you do that in audacity? Mac or pc? Pc try reaper or cakewalk. Not sure for Mac but I think GarageBand is free.
    Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Originally posted by mkok View Post
      Try another free DAW software. Audacity is very poor in my opinion. Ok so you levels are probably wrong but if you record them into a multitrack then at least you can balance them out. Can’t you do that in audacity? Mac or pc? Pc try reaper or cakewalk. Not sure for Mac but I think GarageBand is free.
      Thank for your reply and suggestion. I have now downloaded Reaper for the Mac and it works but, connected it via my Solo Gen 3 I seem to get distortion through the drums when played back in Reaper. Which input do I use in Reaper as I can only get it to work'ish with it set to stereo and not the default mono channel.
      Equipment: Roland TD9V2 module, TD9 rack, PDX105 snare, 3 x PDX8 toms. CY8 cymbals, CY15 ride, VH11 hi-hat, KD-10 kick pad

Comment

Originally posted by David Webb View Post

Thank for your reply and suggestion. I have now downloaded Reaper for the Mac and it works but, connected it via my Solo Gen 3 I seem to get distortion through the drums when played back in Reaper. Which input do I use in Reaper as I can only get it to work'ish with it set to stereo and not the default mono channel.
        After a bit more tweaking I've sussed the input now but still getting some distortion which I don't understand why. Anyone know why or how to stop it please?

Comment

I second Reaper. You're coming off as in over your head, but here are some suggestions.

1. Make sure your audio interface is setup properly in Reaper, using an ASIO driver.

2. Confirm that your signal isn't clipping on the input.

3. Confirm that the signal isn't clipping on the output.

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by yeahtuna View Post
            I second Reaper. You're coming off as in over your head, but here are some suggestions.

1. Make sure your audio interface is setup properly in Reaper, using an ASIO driver.

2. Confirm that your signal isn't clipping on the input.

3. Confirm that the signal isn't clipping on the output.

​​​​​​
            Indeed I am hence my request for advice. This is how we all learn in life.

thank you for your suggestions which I will try.

Comment

David,

I often times use Audacity to record my eDrum and play along music. However, I run both through a cheap Behringer mixer then back into the laptop to record. This way I can control the volume of drum and music independently. If you're only interested in drums and music a 502 would suffice. If you're planning on adding guitar, mic, etc. then you'll need more channels. Another advantage of something a bit larger (and slightly more expensive) like an 802 or higher, is besides more channels you'll get a some EQ capability. Behringer is not top quality but it works for me. There are numerous other vendors out there.

Good luck and keep us posted. . . .
              Last edited by EssKayKay; 08-18-20, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post
                David,

I often times use Audacity to record my eDrum and play along music. However, I run both through a cheap Behringer mixer then back into the laptop to record. This way I can control the volume of drum and music independently. If you're only interested in drums and music a 502 would suffice. If you're planning on adding guitar, mic, etc. then you'll need more channels. Another advantage of something a bit larger (and slightly more expensive) like an 802 or higher, is besides more channels you'll get a some EQ capability. Behringer is not top quality but it works for me. There are numerous other vendors out there.

Good luck and keep us posted. . . .
                Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply. I had never considered a mixer at all. The price of the one you use is very keen indeed and is something I will seriously look into. I only ever see me needed this for recording drums so the 502 looks ideal to me!

Comment

Thank you very much for your detailed and informative reply. I had never considered a mixer at all. The price of the one you use is very keen indeed and is something I will seriously look into. I only ever see me needed this for recording drums so the 502 looks ideal to me!
                  Now if you really want me to muddy the waters. . . .

I actually have two mixers – one for headphones the other for recording. What I found is often times I want the headphone’s drum/music volumes and EQ to be different from what is being recorded. When I had a Roland TD-15 I split the outs from the module and laptop (music) and ran one into each mixer; then ran one mixer’s out into the laptop’s in for recording and the other mixer for headphones.

For starters I like your idea of trying one 502 (or some other small/cheap unit) and see how that goes. You can always add on – it’s how I began (eBay can be your friend). Ahh, I remember how GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) took its course – best to you David.

Just my 2-cents,
                  SKK

Comment

Originally posted by EssKayKay View Post

Now if you really want me to muddy the waters. . . .

I actually have two mixers – one for headphones the other for recording. What I found is often times I want the headphone’s drum/music volumes and EQ to be different from what is being recorded. When I had a Roland TD-15 I split the outs from the module and laptop (music) and ran one into each mixer; then ran one mixer’s out into the laptop’s in for recording and the other mixer for headphones.

For starters I like your idea of trying one 502 (or some other small/cheap unit) and see how that goes. You can always add on – it’s how I began (eBay can be your friend). Ahh, I remember how GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) took its course – best to you David.

Just my 2-cents,
                    SKK
                    Thats too much mud for me to handle :-)

I totally understand what you have set up and it gives you the ultimate in control. I think this is a project for a few months down the line. Thanks for the help and advise, really appreciate it mate

Comment

For those who might be interested I have finally found the root cause of problem with distortion. Typically it’s something simple but wasn’t obvious to me. I was using both outputs from the module to a single input on the interface. I unplugged one of the cables from the module tonight and issue gone! No distortion whatsoever and using Reaper I can balance the volume of the individual tracks now, which has always been my aim.
                      i kinda feel dumb for not realising but also pleased I’ve sussed it.
                      i hope it helps others who might be as dumb

Comment

For those who might be interested I have finally found the root cause of problem with distortion. Typically it’s something simple but wasn’t obvious to me. I was using both outputs from the module to a single input on the interface. I unplugged one of the cables from the module tonight and issue gone! No distortion whatsoever and using Reaper I can balance the volume of the individual tracks now, which has always been my aim.
                        i kinda feel dumb for not realising but also pleased I’ve sussed it.
                        i hope it helps others who might be as dumb
                        Never feel dumb. It always easy when you know Glad you got it sorted
                        Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Working...
                        X