Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mimic Pro - Bass drum is really loud and has massive low end that is overpowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro - Bass drum is really loud and has massive low end that is overpowering

Hi guys,

so I was recording on my mimic pro, straight to usb stick everything sounded fine through the headphones. Went to play it back on my PC and the bass drum sound is overpowering, way louder than anything else and really bottom heavy so it booms. What am I doing wrong, I'm a complete novice at this so know nothing about recording. I've tried turning my kick down on the sliders but it doesnt help, I've tried turning the kick down on the recording sliders but that doesnt really help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I cut the sustain on the direct mics in the bass drum. You may have a bass boost on your playback system. I would try to listen on other systems to compare.

Comment

Originally posted by Amishd00d View Post
      Hi guys,

so I was recording on my mimic pro, straight to usb stick everything sounded fine through the headphones. Went to play it back on my PC and the bass drum sound is overpowering, way louder than anything else and really bottom heavy so it booms. What am I doing wrong, I'm a complete novice at this so know nothing about recording. I've tried turning my kick down on the sliders but it doesnt help, I've tried turning the kick down on the recording sliders but that doesnt really help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
      It's because you are listening to 2 sources headphone and speaker are different source to start. You need to learn each headphone are different, some boost bass, some lack of bass, some lack of high, some too much high. You need headphone that are more monitor style to avoid radical sound shift with others source like the ATH M50X.

Also on your PC you need proper monitor speaker to avoid from above.

People think more bass or more high is good, this is totally wrong, you will get bad result, also the real sound of any sound hardware are more monitor style.
      Last edited by Chris K; 07-22-20, 01:45 PM.

Comment

My guess is you're using some "thin" headphones for personal monitoring. Thus, the low end is getting pumped for your monitoring enjoyment, but wreaking havoc on external gear.

Chris has part of this correct. You are listening/using two different output signals. The part about the headphones is incorrect. M50Xs would actually lower your low end response on external gear.

On top of this, it's likely you are using different monitoring at the PC. (speakers, different headphones, whatever)

Any two sources (monitoring and or external speakers) will differ. This is just a fact. If you're gigging, the goal is to get the best result externally with your master output mixer, and then use the headphone EQ in the module to adjust your personal monitoring to match as best as you can. (every monitoring situation is different, and this is just the focused route for gigging)

You need to learn how your headphone monitoring and master output differ in your module. You also have the option of sending the headphone mix to the master output. This information is in your manual. I suggest reading up on these options.
        Alan
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Added a topic that may help anyone finding this one... https://www.vdrums.com/forum/advance...better-results
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Working...
          X