Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mimic Pro Multi Outputs out of sync?

Hello all, first time poster.

I’ve had the Mimic Pro for a while, but it’s my first attempt to record multi outputs via the DB25 connectors. I have the following routings:
    Snare & Snare Layer ch 7
    Kick and Kick Layer ch 8
    Hats ch 9
    Toms 1, 2, 3, in 10, 11, 12 respectively
    OH 13/14

Everything works as expected, but when I play back through my DAW and raise the OH, track, I get a weird, chorusey, doubling effect on the kick and snare. There is just the tiniest delay between the direct channels and the overhead bleeds.

When I monitor the mimic through the headphones and being overheads in and out of the mix, I do not get this effect. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?

Sounds possibly like latency hitting its limit on your system. Is your buffer as low as possible when recording? What interface?
    Alan
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Alan-

Thanks for quick reply. I’m recording into a Behringer Wing console into Ableton Live. Since I am monitoring through the mixer and not the DAW, I was unaware that buffer size would have an impact on how the tracks are put to tape (or hard disk). However, if I zoom in on the transients from, say, the snare channel vs. the overhead channel, they are definitely misaligned.

Comment

Try recording just the Master out & OHeads together. See if they are out of alignment when only 4 channels are being recorded.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

Comment

Just to verify your suspicion I recorded two takes...one at 2048 samples and one at 64. The 2048 version sounded like a slap back echo! Now that I understand the buffer size is definitely impacting the recording sync, are there any tried and true ways to record multi tracks and get them all totally locked in?

Comment

When recording, you need to go as low as the device will allow. That’s usually 32 or 64. For playback, you can bump that back up to 256 or 512. (or higher if you wish) You just have to experiment to see what works best for your personal device. I use 32 for recording and 256 for playback. If it’s a huge session with a lot of plugs, I may push that to 512.

Always use logical monitoring for the lowest latency AND recording impact.
            Alan

Comment

Working...
            X