Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which established artists have used triggers/samples in their drum tracks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which established artists have used triggers/samples in their drum tracks??

I was observing an argument online where person A was lamenting acoustic drums being replaced by edrums and person B said (paraphrasing) "but triggers and samples are used on a ton of modern records!"

Is that true? Does anyone have examples of established artists (who typically use acoustic kits) using samples?

It’s VERY true. MANY engineers replace drums all the time. Some have preset samples they drop into almost every session. Some blend. Others replace completely. However, most of the time, it’s just the snare and or bass drum.
    Alan
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

I believe you Alan, but WHO is getting their drums replaced? Is it gojira? Is it tame impala? Royal blood?

The pro-e drum guy said exactly what you said but I'm just trying to find out an example of a well known artist that actually is getting the treatment.

For example people lament guitar amps being replaced by modellers and I can point out that no one enjoys Periphery less when they find out it's all done by fractal models.

Comment

Ho boy. Yes, more bands than you'd expect use samples. Some times it's very noticeable, or at least I can't tell if it's a bad mix for recorded drums, or they're using sample. The typical super-clicky kick is often a giveaway. I guess it's mostly a matter of convenience - or you want to record a song that your drummer can't play
        Some bands basically record their own samples with their drummer and then use that for multiple songs (possibly whole records). I know Tesseract and Periphery do that for at least some of their songs.

Comment

Originally posted by GreasyBumpkin View Post
          I believe you Alan, but WHO is getting their drums replaced? Is it gojira? Is it tame impala? Royal blood?

The pro-e drum guy said exactly what you said but I'm just trying to find out an example of a well known artist that actually is getting the treatment.

For example people lament guitar amps being replaced by modellers and I can point out that no one enjoys Periphery less when they find out it's all done by fractal models.
          Bands don’t go around announcing they’re using samples. It’s going to be hard to find names. In fact, some bands may not even know the engineer is doing it. That said, it’s extremely common. Look up top end industry engineers on YouTube. If you can find them mixing drums, I’ll bet 75% or more are at least blending samples. It’s the engineers you’ll get the info from. It’s also why drum replacement plugins are becoming such a big thing. There are so many engineers/producers doing it, companies are realizing the need for competition in this area.

I guess the point is, it’s a LOT of music you hear in recent years. It’s probably 90% or more of anything you listen to these days. This technique has been around (in the digital age) for close to two decades. Personally, I love spending time mixing the real kit, but some kits are just garbage. I honestly think engineers today use samples for the benefit of having 90% of the work already done. As a matter of fact, some have their assistants dupe BD & SN sample tracks before they ever begin mixing. I’ve even thought about making a handful of different go-to snares and basses for this reason, but I don’t like losing the dynamics of the performance.
          Alan
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | message | recommendations

Comment

Yup it’s not something anyone is going to broadcast but it’s been done for years. Ever since we had midi. A studio I worked in were doing it in the 90s. I do it it and totally replace maybe a snare or bass drum or usually blend in another. The drummer still gets the credit. It’s common place and has been for a long time. Nobody broadcasts that the singer has had auto tune but we know it happens.
            Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

98% of [your country]'s Top 40 records aren't acoustic drums.
              *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
              Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

I appreciate all the insight guys, I will go research this now.

Kinda feel like an idiot for being so naive to think big studios would go through the effort to perfect acoustic recordings when no one notices a better sounding sample taking its place.

Comment

https://youtu.be/F916ioSWdts?t=209
                  Andy Wallace
                  Butch Vig on Nirvana post 6#
                  https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-m...n-nirvana.html
                  Stuart Copeland Overdubbed very often doubled/extended his parts manually, I think last Police record Every Breath was kind of a loop
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gE7Wx7hDZw
                  also toms and choked cymbals

Last edited by Ribot; 03-16-20, 04:18 PM.
                  Desktop PC I5 Asus, Asus P8Z77, RME AIO, RME ADI2pro, RME Digiface USB, Mac Air 2014, Zoom Tac2r, Apollo Twin MKI Solo TD30, Vh13, Drum Tec pro pads, BFD3, Henry Hirsch, Peter Erskine, Evil Drums, Superior 3.0, Decades, Cubase 10, Reaper, Ludwig 67 Kit all sizes from 22, Ludwig Cob, 4*14, Slingerland 50s, Paiste Modern Ess, Zildjian Constantinople

Comment

In my view, as soon as an acoustic drum are mic'ed and sent to a mixer or any form of sound treatment, the sound one hear, is no longer fully acoustic. So I am leaning to the realization that every sound in a pro recording is tampered with, electronic.
                    I see no wrong in this what so ever, is it not just the time we live in ?
                    Last edited by Camst648; 03-18-20, 06:36 AM.
                    Drum-Tec Pro-s w/Roland TD50 Module. Roland SPD-SX Special edition. Nord 3P Drum synth. Roland Cymbals, Drum-Tec hardware. Small basic home recording studio and hobby musician. I wish all of you a great day !! :)

Comment

Working...
                    X