• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TD9 + Scarlett Focusrite Issue

Hey!

Hoping someone can help.

I have the following setup from my TD9 to my computer:
    L/R output --> input 1 of Scarlett --> logic pro x

So it's the left/right mono to a stereo TRS into my input 1 of Scarlett.

I have my headphones in my Scarlett to listen, and the sounds of my TD9 are SUPER reverby and just bad overall.

Any tips? I believe the input of my Scarlett can take TRS/stereo?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    - Mike

Ahh..maybe each input is mono...so I'm going from unbalance stereo to a balanced mono and hearing weird phasing/reverby sounding stuff, and no mean.

Can I go two stereo cables from L/R outputs to 2 inputs on my Scarlett?

Comment

Isn’t input 1 on the Scarlett mono but balanced? You should be using 2 inputs I think.
      Roland TD30 module on TD20 kit SD3 with various kits. Pearl Masters Kit, Yamaha 9000RC original natural wood finish. Cymbals from Zildgian Pasite and Sabian. Loads of percussion bits. Cubase and Wavelab always current versions.

Comment

Can I go two stereo cables from L/R outputs to 2 inputs on my Scarlett?
        yes you can as far as i understand. you could then route each input to a separate track in logic and pan them left and right respectively. since each would be L or R i guess mono cables should be ok

but i’m not sure that’s the source of your problem. i haven’t routed the output from my td9 through my scarletts - i only do this to trigger midi for sd3 so i’m not sure i can be of much help. also, i didn’t see any mention of what model scarlett you are using

if you ‘re using the 2i4, the monitor knob lets you choose output from the daw (logic) or direct from the td9 or any mix of the two, and this could be the source of your problem (ie. monitoring direct from the td9 and also from logic simultaneously), with the latency doing weird things to your ears.

look at the manual for the scarlett model you are using and how it does monitoring. i always monitor the output from logic because latency isn’t a problem, i want to hear what i am recording as i play, and i am using midi to trigger sd3 so i have ‘local control’ off in the module. your situation is different but it is well worth working out and understanding what you are listening to in your monitor

i have a similar set up to you but i’m no sound tech and once i get something working i just use it and forget the details so it could well be something completely different

good luck with it
        Last edited by jackodrum; 01-07-20, 02:12 AM.
        Roland TD9 (KD8, FD9), Yamaha DTX Multi12 (KT10, HH65, TP100), Zendrum EXP (Stompblock) || Scarlett 6i6 > imac; 2i4 >macbook || Superior Drummer 3, Logic || Yamaha HS7s, Yamaha DBR10, ATH-M30x || DIY compact a-kit, Mapex Meridian, Zildjian Ks, some As and Sabians and ... || youtube

Comment

Think I just answered this on Facebook....

you need
          TD-9 L into input 1 of focusrite - pan hard left in software
          TD-9 R into input 2 of focusrite - pan hard right in software

If you only use one cable, you're running in mono.

And yes, you use L/R as they are line-level and not being put thru a headphone amp.
          *** Never buy a module without MIDI IN ***
          Yamaha & Roland modules. DTX,TM-2, EC-10, EC10m, SP-404. Multi12. TrapKat. ControlPads. Octapad, SamplePad, Wavedrum. Handsonic. Dynacord RhythmStick. MPC. Paiste 2002/Signatures. Cajons. Djembes. Darbuka. Windsynth. MIDI Bass. Tenori-on. Zoom ARQ. Synths. Ukes.

Comment

Originally posted by electrodrummer View Post
            Think I just answered this on Facebook....

you need
            TD-9 L into input 1 of focusrite - pan hard left in software
            TD-9 R into input 2 of focusrite - pan hard right in software

If you only use one cable, you're running in mono.

And yes, you use L/R as they are line-level and not being put thru a headphone amp.
            You probably did answer on FB - thanks.

I'll be doing this

Comment

Working...
            X