Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording analogue signal into Garageband om Macbook

Hello,

How can I record the analogue (headphone out) signal of my v-drums (Roland TD-1KPX) into Garageband on my Macbook? I have tried to use the regular line in, but the Macbook (2014 Pro retina) does not detect it. Also tried an external soundcard (Creative Soundblaster Play2), which gets detected, but hardly records any volume when played. I am considering buying a griffin iMic, but since the soundblaster does not work, I'd rather not spend money without knowing this would actually work.

As background info: I like to capture the analogue signal next to the Midi, as Garageband does not playback sounds for the closed hh-edge, crash-edge and ride-edge within the midi mapping of the TD-1KPX (they are dual zone). This makes it hard to evaluate the played part directly after the recording. Alternatively I could use an app to hijack the midi signal and remap, however that would make the midi signal useless for further processing of the tracks in Cubase, which will be done later by our guitar player.

Grateful for your help.

Roef
    Last edited by Rongyos; 11-24-19, 02:29 AM.

The headphone port on the MBP 2014 retina does not double as a line in, like in older models.

You will need a soundcard to get analogue audio in.

But, with the Xmas sales coming up, a soundcard would probably cost as much as a decent VST... which would be less of a bother than assembling MIDI and analogue together.

AD2 would pretty much be in the ball park.

Or... have a look at the free DrumMic'a VST, which might be interesting to you.

https://en-us.sennheiser.com/drummica
    DTX700, A2E Dixon kit, Yamaha cymbals, FSR HH Kit Pix

My new venture: voglosounds.com

Comment

What you are looking for is called an "audio interface". They typically have 1-4 channels and look a bit like an analog mixer that you connect to the computer via USB. In GarageBand you assign each track to one of the interface's channels (or a stereo pair).

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--USB_Audio_Interfaces
      Kit: Roland TD-25K

Comment

With a bit of delay: thanks for the input!

In the end I have made set-up with a Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 USB audio interface (to get the analogue signal in the Macbook). While playing/recording I use a Behringer XENYX 502 PA mixer to mix the base track that comes out of the Macbook (guitar, vocals, click track) with the drum sound from the Roland drum module into my headphones. I use a minijack splitter to be able to have the Drum module signal go both to the audio interface and the mixer. In parallel I have a USB cable go from the drum Module straight into the Macbook for the MIDI. That way I can record the MIDI, the clean (drum only) analogue signal, while having the mix of drums and base track on my headphones.

I have also gained a bit more knowledge about Garageband and MIDI drum, and found out that I needed a plug-in AU instrument for the MIDI track to 'generate sound' in garageband (which was the initial problem why I needed to make the above set-up). I have started off with a freeware plug-in, Powerdrumkit by Manda Audio. It has the option to modify the MIDI Mapping Settings, which took a bit of trial and error to find out what part of the Powerdrumkit should correspond with which position in the piano roll in the MIDI file generated by the Roland drum module.

Recently I bought the Addictive Drums plugin by XLN Audio. Quite an investment, but now I can select a lot of really good drum sounds, and for instance I can also finetune the open and close behavior of the hihat. You can also do that in garageband by editing the foot control automation in the piano roll, I found out. So what I do is finetune the HH in the Map Window for every song, and correct some of the foot control automation to get the last details right. The plugin has a lot of presets for various drum modules. My TD1 is not one of them, but I can use TD11 or TD12 without a problem, it seems.

Long story short: I now also have the option to just listen to the output signal of the Macbook, mixing the base track with the MIDI, thanks to the Plug-in. So basically I do not per se need the audio interface and the mixer, I can just have the base track go to the drum module, which mixes it with the V-drums sound into my headphone, and have a usb cable to record the midi. However it is a bit easier to finetune the mix you're listening to while recording using the actual knobs on the mixer, than to do that with the sliders in GB, so I may continue to use that set-up.

https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)

https://www.behringer.com/Categories...oogtrans(en|en)

https://www.powerdrumkit.com

https://www.xlnaudio.com/products/addictive_drums_2

Comment

Just wondering why you are not using Logic x? Much better I think.
          Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB mem - Universal Audio Arrow audio interfac - Superior Drummer 3 - Logic x

Comment

So far the setup with Garageband does what it needs to do, and Logic Pro would be another investment, that for now I do not see a reason to do. However curious to know what you exactly aiming at when you say it is much better? What features of Logic?
            Last edited by Rongyos; 01-15-20, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rongyos View Post
              So far the setup with Garageband does what it needs to do, and Logic Pro would be another investment, that for now I do not see a reason to do. However curious to know what you exactly aiming at when you say it is much better? What features of Logic?
              If it does what you need, then you don't need Logic ...plenty of comparisons online of the two though if you need to know what the differences and benefits of Logic over Garage Band are.
              Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB mem - Universal Audio Arrow audio interfac - Superior Drummer 3 - Logic x

Comment

Working...
              X