Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to record with multiple camera angles + any tips to visually improve covers? :)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How to record with multiple camera angles + any tips to visually improve covers? :)

    Hey guys!

    So I got some feedback that one way I make my drum covers better is to improve them "visually." I'm not aiming to make my videos overly theatrical with tons of cuts, sweeping angles, a ton of stick tricks, etc. However, some have said that they can be a bit too static.

    Here's a video of my Rush- Tom Sawyer cover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RACrMqcYpiI

    One thing I was thinking about doing was adding two more camera angles: one from a different angle of the whole kit, and one kick drum angle. The thing is, I'm not even remotely sure of the hardware and software I need to make this happen. Right now, I'm using a very simple set up where I record my covers visually with my Android smartphone, and I record the audio by directly connecting my drum module (TD-25) into my phone by using the iRig2 guitar interface. This is really simple as I use one camera (my android phone) to record both video and audio at once, and I have a finalized output i can edit quickly and put up on YouTube.

    How do people go about recording using multiple camera angles, and how do you sync the audio and video, and make sure that they all line up? Will I have to record the audio separately, and all the video footages separately, and then splice them up with a video editing software?

    Thanks! And if you have any other suggestions to make my covers more visually appealing, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

    -GoBears10

  • #2
    Yep, i record video on my DSLR camera with very shallow DOF (Depth of Field) and the audio is recored on a track in Logic x. I bounce the track out as an audio file, I load both the video and the audio into Premier and align the audio manually to the video. This way allows for as many videos/video tracks as you need and jump between them at key points, and always in sync with the audio once lined up. Plus you can really edit it all like a pro. can do similar in iMovie if your on a budget.
    Last edited by Whagi; 11-20-19, 10:17 AM.
    Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB mem - Universal Audio Arrow audio interfac - Superior Drummer 3 - Logic x

    Comment


    • #3
      Whagi, thanks so much! That seems like a pretty solid setup and way to navigate the multiple angles. Appreciate the help

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Whagi View Post
        ...I load both the video and the audio into Premier and align the audio manually to the video...
        If you add an external mic to your Logic tracking, you'll be able to auto-sync everything in under a second. That's how I do three cams. The cams will pick up the same sticking as the mic, which will already be aligned with your kit audio. A LOT easier than manually aligning it.
        Alan
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

        Comment


        • #5
          If you want to record multiple angles at the same time, you can get SJcam action cameras pretty cheap. They are OK but not great in low light.
          Roland TD-9, CY-12C, Yamaha PC-135, Gibraltar Intruder double pedals, AKG 240 Studio

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gobears10 View Post
            Whagi, thanks so much! That seems like a pretty solid setup and way to navigate the multiple angles. Appreciate the help
            Plus you can keep adding as many audio tracks as you want, so you could add some vocals or a voice over if you wanted too. Plus in Premier you can do effects and text overlays too, add a little logo in the corner, track titles etc etc. You can also do PIP (picture in picture) so you can have ya kick pedal foot action in the top corner. The possibilities are endless

            I use a DSLR as I have great lenses that allow very shallow DOF (blurred backgrounds) at F1.8 (aperture). Great for low light and arty look. But sometimes I use my GoPro too, if I want really wide angle video.

            Note: Other video editing software is available, I just love Adobe Premier pro ...Apple Final Cut Pro X if you're on a Mac, iMovie for mac or Windows Movie Maker if you are on a budget.

            If you want an all in one package and share a lot of videos online, you might want to look at Adobe Premier Rush too: https://www.adobe.com/uk/products/premiere-rush.html
            Last edited by Whagi; 11-27-19, 06:57 AM.
            Roland TD-17 KVX - iMac 27" i9 16GB mem - Universal Audio Arrow audio interfac - Superior Drummer 3 - Logic x

            Comment


            • #7
              [edit: i solved the problem of not being able to record "drums only" when there is a backing or click track by upgrading my module from the td 25 to the pearl mimic pro]
              Last edited by gobears10; 12-05-19, 07:53 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post

                If you add an external mic to your Logic tracking, you'll be able to auto-sync everything in under a second. That's how I do three cams. The cams will pick up the same sticking as the mic, which will already be aligned with your kit audio. A LOT easier than manually aligning it.
                Alan VEX, could you explain exactly how this process works? I get how the external mic on your computer would pick up the pad hits, and then how you can auto sync with the pad hits coming from the audio on the various cameras. But how do you auto align the mesh pad hits audio picked up from the logical external mic to the kit audio coming from the module? Is there a process to do that at the same time? Because I thought people recorded their audio separately and then placed that into Logic and then manually aligned them together.

                Thanks for the help! And I'm using a Pearl Mimic Pro now

                Comment


                • #9
                  Record drums Master L/R to stereo track in DAW.
                  Record room mic to mono track in DAW. (it helps to talk before/during/after... the more noise, the better)
                  The two above should be started/stopped in unison for best results. (don't start tracks at different times... not sure who would, though)
                  Record video camera(s) with sound. (these can be started separately)

                  Export drums Master L/R as wav.
                  Export room mic as wav.

                  Import drums wav into Premiere.
                  Import room mic wav into Premiere.
                  Import video(s) into Premiere.

                  Drag all to timeline. (unless you have multiple cams, then see below)
                  Select all on timeline.
                  Select sync.
                  Let it do its thing.
                  If Premiere doesn't auto-mute everything but the master drums, manually correct what's muted.
                  Done.

                  Note: if you have multiple cameras/videos, you'll want to create a multi-cam first. This will attempt to auto-sync everything at the same time. Sometimes, it can fail to add/sync all files. If so, try again. I find it will usually succeed after a second attempt.

                  I'm just writing from memory, and not using exact terminology found in Premiere.
                  Alan
                  -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  website | youtube | facebook | group | newsletter | twitter | message | recommendations

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Alan VEX View Post
                    Record drums Master L/R to stereo track in DAW.
                    Record room mic to mono track in DAW. (it helps to talk before/during/after... the more noise, the better)
                    The two above should be started/stopped in unison for best results. (don't start tracks at different times... not sure who would, though)
                    Record video camera(s) with sound. (these can be started separately)

                    Export drums Master L/R as wav.
                    Export room mic as wav.

                    Import drums wav into Premiere.
                    Import room mic wav into Premiere.
                    Import video(s) into Premiere.

                    Drag all to timeline. (unless you have multiple cams, then see below)
                    Select all on timeline.
                    Select sync.
                    Let it do its thing.
                    If Premiere doesn't auto-mute everything but the master drums, manually correct what's muted.
                    Done.

                    Note: if you have multiple cameras/videos, you'll want to create a multi-cam first. This will attempt to auto-sync everything at the same time. Sometimes, it can fail to add/sync all files. If so, try again. I find it will usually succeed after a second attempt.

                    I'm just writing from memory, and not using exact terminology found in Premiere.
                    Thanks Alan VEX! This is incredibly instructive and helpful

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X